Toolstation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Toolstation Interview Questions

Interviews at Toolstation

2.1

Key Holder Interview

Anonymous Employee in Barrow, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Toolstation (Barrow, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Online application, followed by a interview in store with manager. Standard retail questions asked. A small maths test lasting around 20/25 mins. Small tour of the building and how the system works. Easy enough to pick up.

Store Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tottenham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Toolstation (Tottenham, England (UK)) in November 2018.

Interview

Telephone Interview followed 2 days later by face to face interview in local store.

Telephone Interview with Recruitment Adviser for Toolstation (Somerset HQ). The tone by the adviser was very positive and helpful:

• What were your accomplishments working as part of a Team?
        • What you were looking for in the role of Customer Assistant?
        • Whether you were prepared to work for a different nearby branch?
        • Whether you were currently employed? What kind of notice you had to give to leave that employment?
        • Whether you would be able to work to the times provided? (informed of opening/closing times)
        • Any Questions?

Second Interview: In local Toolstation Branch (Tottenham) with Retail Manager and Assistant:

The manager took me to the office at the back showing me the various fire exits and informing me of the evacuation procedure.

I was sat at a small table with pens. First, I was told that I had to complete a 10 minute pencil and paper aptitude test: Questions e.g. 3456 + 3500 + 3456 (you are allowed to use calculator), counting a string of random letters and circling the 12th, calculating change from £10 + £5 given item cost £11.20 etc…, Matching an order number e.g. R0-02-03-06 to the same one in a table column, Using another table e.g. how many items in the blue category row altogether… the questions spanned 3 sheets of A4… was just about to start 3rd sheet when asked to stop.

At this point the Retail Manager and Assistant came to sit with me. The Manager asked all the questions and the Assistant scribed: (Informed that 3 or 4 more candidates were to be interviewed and that I would hear from them in 4-5 days time - but did not get back in touch by any means)

Interview Questions

• What did I know about Toolstation?   Answer Question
    • Who were Toolstation's main competitors?   Answer Question
    • Was I aware that the job included cleaning the site, skirting boards, dusting, toilet, kitchen etc…? How did I feel about that?   1 Answer
    • Was I happy to work for another nearby branch? And how far was I prepared to travel? One hour?   Answer Question
    • Asked how long it took me to get to the branch?   Answer Question
    • Whether I were currently employed? What kind of notice I had to give to leave that employment?   Answer Question
    • Had I read the job description?   Answer Question
    • The job included some heavy lifting within Health and Safety regulations, was I able to do this?   Answer Question
    • Did I have to consider Health and Safety regulations in my last job?   Answer Question
    • Being that the 20 hours were to be spread over 5 days, was I flexible to work any shifts? Was I prepared to work overtime when required?   Answer Question
    • Told that my last job was a very different role, How could I relate this to the role applied for?   Answer Question
    • What skills from my last job could I bring to Toolstation?   Answer Question
    • Asked to name something I didn't like doing in my last lob?   Answer Question
    • Did I have to work to set targets in my last job and what were they?   Answer Question
    • Had I experience with stock taking?   Answer Question
    • Had I had experience handling cash?   Answer Question
    • Did I know how to operate the card payment machine?   1 Answer
    • Did I know how Toolstation operated with customers?   Answer Question
    • 'What would I' do scenarios: A customer is very angry because a £300 pound order was not delivered to the work site?   1 Answer
    • 'What would I' do scenarios: A customer is angry because the specific item they wanted was not available and they wanted it immediately that day?   1 Answer
    • 'What would I' do scenarios: At slow times when there were no customers, what would I do with the time?   Answer Question
    • Informed about uniform provision: Asked shirt size? Trouser size? Shoe size?   Answer Question
    • Any Questions?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Toolstation (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in August 2018.

Interview

I applied online directly through the Toolstation website.
    Found out in 24 hours of next stage which was an telephone interview.
    48hours later had my telephone interview, put forward for face to face with at area manager and found out next day whether successful or not.

Interview in a working store no distractions but was advised it was a possibility, had a store walk around.

Was not asked for it by the Area Manager however I provided a SWOT analysis specific to the store and sat and went through this with him.

Interview Questions

• Telephone:
      Tell us about a time when you have had a difficult conversation with a staff member?   1 Answer
    • Telephone:
      Tell us about a time when you have improved store communication?   1 Answer
    • Face to face:
      What do you know about Toolstation?   1 Answer
    • Face to face:
      What is you management style?   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Toolstation (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Interview actually started from the moment I walked into the room. I was monitored from the moment my interviewer saw me. Body language, the way I walked and presented myself

Interview Questions

• Describe what was your most best experience in shopping   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Toolstation (London, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

Online application was pretty straightforward. Received an email inviting me to an interview in 3 days time requiring a number of documents, and a SWOT analysis on Toolstation as a company vs competitors. Ignoring the fact that I work full time for a living, I ended up doing this in the early hours one morning just so I got it done.

I was originally given a 3-4 page quiz by a member of staff and asked to wait for the Area Manager. The quiz was on mathematics, and some general questions. It's pretty basic, and anyone with an understanding of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division shouldn't have any worries completing it. After 20 minutes, the Area Manager introduced himself and led me to another room. He was pleasant enough, asked the right questions I expected him to, and snippets of small talk in between.

I walked out feeling I nailed it, but a few days later I received an email saying I had been unsuccessful. Interesting, as I'm quietly confident I could have done this job with my eyes closed. If I'm honest, there's nothing this job role could throw at me that I wouldn't already know. Which is why the 'Dear John' email came as a surprise.

Friendly atmosphere overall. I wasn't offered any drinks which would have been a nice bonus. The room was rather warm. Considering they offer customers free drinks, the least they could do was offer a potential Store Manager one.

Strangely, after the interview was concluded (2 hours later), I was then told about the uniform, hours of work etc...

I was asked if there were any questions, which I had a couple. 'Competitive salary' seems to mean mid £20k. So... not very competitive then, especially with the likes of Screwfix and Jewson who I've also looked in to applying for (sadly, no local vacancies). The salary, in all honesty - really put me off. This is why I very rarely apply for positions where it's not advertised.

Am I bitter? A little yes. I know deep down I would have done very well in this role. I'd love to know what it was that made me no longer eligible. However, 'Competitive salary' no longer seems to mean what it does these days.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bolton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Toolstation (Bolton, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

first stage was a written test, very basic maths, matching data and a few questions. This was followed by a 1 to 1 interview.questions: Work history/CV walk through, Pi checks, Size of teams previously managed.

Interview Questions

• If you could eat dinner with one person who would it be?   Answer Question

Retail Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Toolstation (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

It consisted of an assessment day with four other candidate. It was based on competent based questions. Their was a group exercise , which had to bw completed in 10 mintutes

Retail Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Toolstation in April 2015.

Interview

Interview was taken at the back of the store two junior level employees who weren't too sure about what they were doing.
    Was given a maths type quiz to complete on my own whilst they gathered themselves. The two returned and started asking a series of questions that was already written down and writing down my answers.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the company?
      Who are our main competitors?
      What can you bring to the company?
      Describe a time when you:
      Provided great customer service?
      Dealt with a problem at work?
      Had to deal with difficult colleagues/staff?
      What do you know about their system? (Basically set out like an Argos store, customer asks for an item or item no. You get get it give it to them and they pay).   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harrow, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Toolstation (Harrow, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone interview asking about experience then interview inshore, smooth process as manager was very friendly on phone, lead to one on one interview, talking about experience and how I could benefit the store, got told on same day if I was hired or not, in which I got the offer.

Interview Questions

• Questions like previous experience, what could you bring to the store, and flexibility as well as example of team player and leadership roles.   2 Answers

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bridgwater, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Toolstation (Bridgwater, England (UK)).

Interview

application through the job website
    1 interview with tech lead and project manager regarding technical skills and previous employemnt
    1 interview with head of IT to see if i would be a good fit

Interview Questions

• Knowledge pertinent to my skills   1 Answer