Tophatter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Tophatter Interview Questions

Interviews at Tophatter

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Tophatter (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

You get a programming challenge and after you complete it to their satisfaction they invite you onsite. The programming challenge is the only technical part, the onsites are just meet and greets. I liked the technical challenge, I wish more companies would do that.

I liked the company but during the meet and greets I discovered two serious problems which are very likely to prevent the company from doing as well as it could do.

1. Their user base is 90% female and they have 0 female engineers. This is a huge problem in Silicon Valley. You need to hire engineers which reflect your user base so the engineers will design products which make their users happy. The male and female brain both work in different ways and want to do different things so for males it will be harder to make things for women. How many female engineers so you think Pinterest has? I talked to a Tophatter engineer at one point where he mentioned he was trying things to increase user sign ups since it was a big problem... think I know why. :)

2. Almost none of the engineers use the product. I asked the engineers and even co-founder how often they bought things. The answers ranged from "yea I make a lot of test purchases which aren't real transactions" to "well, I have bought a few jewelry pieces for my family a couple months ago". Even when I as a female signed up to look at the site I really didn't feel engaged enough to buy anything.

I liked the people but there need to be real changes to have a really engaging product. I didn't get an offer probably because it was clear I wasn't that interested in the product already. I guess if you're interviewing there they want to see some rear kissing, not what they need to hear.

Interview Questions

• What did you do in your previous employment?   2 Answers

Tophatter Response

Mar 3, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

We agree with your statement that more female engineers are needed in Silicon Valley, and our hiring goals reflect our commitment to diversifying our... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tophatter (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Short phone screen checking for your excitement about the company, then 1 hr tech screen, then onsite with 3 or 4 rounds of tech interviews and culture fit. Make sure to be excited about joining the company as they potentially may give you an offer on the spot at the end of the onsite and expect you to accept on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Implement a simple front-end app (I could choose which framework)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Tophatter (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

They reached me out on a hr platform. On the first call the interviewer ask me for managing that phone screening. It was the first time I heard something like that. Then I explained my background and asked some questions. Interviewer sounded like not interested from the beginning and did not ask any questions.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tophatter (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

First, there was a 20 minute introductory call with one of the engineers on the team. This was followed by a technical screen on a code sharing platform, and an onsite. The onsite consisted of a bug squash problem, a refactoring practical, and a project section. Because I had another offer already, I was in a bit of a hurry to close up all my interviews. They were able to go from initial call to offer in a matter of 4 business days, which worked out great for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tophatter (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone chat. The recruiter also sent along a FAQ that outlined the company's goals and values which I think gave a good sense of whether or not the company might be a good fit. Went through the phone call with the recruiter and later had a technical phone screen with one of the engineers. The only non-standard part of the process was the onsite, which includes squashing a bug on Github, building a web app, and refactoring code. They tell you this prior to the onsite so that you can prepare, so there are no surprises. They do prefer that you do the work in a dynamic language such as Ruby or Python, with a very strong preference for Ruby since it is a core part of their stack. It was quite difficult to do parts of the interview because I lacked practical experience, but they do warn that is geared more towards experienced applicants. It did very much seem like they expected you to be completely invested in the company and their product (at least during the phone screen and from the FAQ), which was slightly off-putting, but perhaps necessary for a smaller company. They gave me constructive feedback after the onsite though, which I found very helpful.

Interview Questions

• Bug squash in an open source project on Github, building a dynamic web application, and refactoring code.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tophatter (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

* Contacted by headhunter and introduced to company
    * General call with an engineer
    * Technical phone screen with another engineer. Simple question. There were test case you have to make them pass
    * on-site includes a debug round / refactor / write a new app

In general good experience but looks like some interviewers need training how to guide candidate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tophatter (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I received an introductory phone call in a week after I have applied. The interviewer described what kind of work they do, what technologies they use and what will be the interview process if they decide to move forward. He asked few questions related my background, work experience and expectation from future company and work. I received an email for next round. The next round never really happened. The interviewer called me 10 mins late and there was disturbance on the call so he was not able to hear me well. He asked me to reschedule it to the next day. Next day I did not receive a call from him and I emailed him to ask about rescheduling it after waiting for about 20 mins. He responded that it was supposed to be a hangout call and he was waiting for me and they have decided not to move forward.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tophatter (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Really liked the interview style !
    The Tophatter folks use a Stripe-format interview style, meaning you get to work on the real code using an IDE of your choice, no blind whiteboard questions.
    The interview questions really test all aspects of a software development - working within an existing code, and also developing some new functionality. Had a lunch with engineers and they seems pretty genuinely interested in candidate's background.
    Unfortunately i did not pass the interview and the hiring manager informed me about his decision right by the end of the interview cycle - i really think this is fair and saves quite a bit of uncertainty, ideally i would love more companies to adopt this practice.
    Overall i got the feeling engineers are nice and those are the people you would want to work alongside.

Interview Questions

• Fix a problem in an existing code.
      Implement new functionality.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tophatter (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

It was relatively quick and painless. First had a phone chat with hiring manager, then a technical phone screen, then an in-person interview loop. I appreciated that their interviews were a) practical (no old school whiteboarding, which can be the WORST), b) engineering leadership actually did hands-on coding interviews with me rather than just answering high level questions, and c) they were able to make decisions quickly and provided great actionable feedback.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tophatter (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

First, I had an introductory call so we could both decide if there was a mutual fit, then we scheduled an on-site interview. Tophatter sent me details of what to expect in the interview the week before the interview, which was nice as there were no surprises. The interview questions are scaled down versions of real problems one might solve on the job, and you could set things up in an environment on your own laptop. The interviewers were really helpful with giving hints to help solve the problems as well. Everyone I met was really friendly and I even got to meet the CEO after the interview!

Interview Questions

• Find a bug raised in an issue in some open source code on Github and fix it.   1 Answer