TransUnion Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TransUnion (San Luis Obispo, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

HR reached out to me and I had a phone interview relatively quick. Scheduled a on-site interview within a week and got my offer letter a couple days after.

Interview process was quick and easy. Not too many technical questions. Interviewers were awesome, and people at the office are pretty nice.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at TransUnion.

Interview

3 part hiring process. First phone interview with recruiter to review resume. Second phone interview with hiring managers to discuss position and determine if it fits with experience. Third interview was a half day in person interview with several managers and the head of the department. Last interview was most technical and asked questions ranging from situational to problem solving.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Credit? How is Credit risk determined in provided scenario?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransUnion.

Interview

Overall, I had a pretty negative experience with Transunion, both as it relates to the scheduling/logistics aspect and my interactions with the recruiter and hiring manager. First, I had a screening with the recruiter. I then had a call with the hiring manager- the questions were behavioral. Thereafter, I was told they wanted me to come onsite. The recruiter told me this would be the final round. I told them I wasn't currently in Chicago, but certainly could do something over Skype. It took them about two weeks to schedule this even though the recruiter had pressed me prior about my availability to start. She said they were looking for someone ASAP. After I got the scheduling confirmation, I emailed the recruiter to clarify that this was indeed the final round. There were 2 45 minute interviews scheduled which would certain make for a very brief final interview. She backtracked from what she had stated before and said this was a second round.

The day of the interview, once they were 10 minutes late to our allotted time, I reached out. The recruiting coordinator said she had been trying to contact me on skype but it wasn't going through/it didn't appear that I was online. I told her I had been online 15 minutes before our scheduled time, so I wasn't sure why there was an issue. Long story short, they were not able to get skype to work for the first interview, so I was unable to speak with the first interviewer. I don't know why they were so focused on the skype aspect. Once they realized it wasn't going to work after repeated tries, they should have arranged for us to speak over the phone.

In any case, they were able to get skype working for the interview with the hiring manager. This interview was awful. He asked me what the size of the market is for consumer credit monitoring services. On face value, this isn't a difficult question, but he kept on interrupting me. And so I kept on having to backtrack on my reasoning/justify it even further at each interruption. It seems like it was either his way or the highway. He should have let me talk through my answer and then given his opinion. Maybe this was a pressure test, but I really don't think playing mind games is a proper way to interview.

Anyway. It went downhill from there. After the case, he was like "you did a relatively good job. your math was right..." But I could tell he was being disingenuous, condescending, and patronizing and I'm not sure why he felt the need to say that. Since I hadn't done it "his" way I could tell I hadn't done well.
    As our conversation progressed it be came more evident this role was not a fit. He said he was looking for someone to take over his position in two years. His title is director and he likely has about 10 years of experience. While I was just a few years out of school. It did not seem like they know what they want. The job description said they wanted 2 to 5 years of experience which didn't really jibe with what the hiring manager was envisioning.
    He then proceeded to ask me whether I might need to break my lease to move, whether my timeline might need to be expedited, etc.

2 hours later the recruiter wanted to set up a call with me. I told her if she could convey what she needed to over email that would be best. She insisted on a call. When we finally got on the phone she said they were continuing to interview. So, I assumed she meant that it might take a week or two to get back to me. She then clarified saying they wouldn't be proceeding with my candidacy and that I should look at other opportunities. I don't know why she wouldn't just say this from the onset. And of course, one shouldn't keep there eggs in one basket, so I'm not sure why she felt the need to say that. That was a bit patronizing.

I didn't expect it to make it through considering how the case went. But I don't know why the hiring manager was asking all those questions about moving at the end. I'm not sure what he was trying to get out of that. We weren't even at the final round. The whole thing just rang as extremely disingenuous. This was compounded by the lack of clarity in terms of what they wanted experience wise.

Interview Questions

• size the market is for consumer credit monitoring services   Answer Question

Director, Applications Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at TransUnion (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I had a call with the HR for 30 mins. A second round telephone interview was set up the next day. I have 30 mins of pretty casual conversation. A little bit on experience, nothing specific but the response was very positive towards the end of the call.
    I sent my Thank you note and requested for a courtesy feedback. The least the company could have done is follow up with a feedback for time and interest I have shown towards the company. It's been 3 weeks and It's quite shameful that companies of this caliber take people for granted and don't have the basic courtesy to follow up. Shameful!

Interview Questions

• This was only a casual conversation. Nothing specific. Explained on the role & expectations about the company.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TransUnion (Chicago, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied on the TransUnion website to the Chicago office through a referral of a family friend in the HR department there. They contacted me about a week or two later saying they were interested! The first phone interview was with a nice HR lady who mostly talked about the company and asked questions about myself. She also asked how much compensation I was looking for and how much I made currently at my internship (because they do competitive pay). This interview lasted 20-30 minutes. I moved on and was supposed to go to an on-site interview but the days I was available wasn't coordinating correctly with the interviewers' days. I had two video conferences in one day instead. One was with the director of the team I would work with and the other was with my manager. They were both very nice. The director asked me things like what motivates me, instances where I had to switch roles in a project, etc. The director asked me more job related questions like if I knew how to do charts and pivot tables in Excel, if I could do forecasting, examples where I had to analyze a mass amount of data, etc. These interviews lasted about 45 minutes. I then had a phone call interview the next day with the VP of sales for the branch I would work closely with. He talked about his team and asked me about my experience, then I mostly asked him questions to understand what I would be doing a bit better. This was supposed to be a 30 minute phone call but ended up being 45 because I had so many questions. I then got the job offer a couple days later! I was very surprised because I thought I blew the video interviews because the questions were very specific and caught me off guard sometimes. Make sure you ask a lot of questions (4-5 good ones) and seem very interested! That's how I won them over. They were very impressed by how many questions I had for them.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you?   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer
    • How efficient in excel are you?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself and your experience.   Answer Question
    • Have you analyzed a big set of data and done any forecasting?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle talking to your peers and people higher up in ranking than you of a company?   1 Answer

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at TransUnion (Chicago, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with manager and lead . The on-site interview 2 Times . Then final phone interview with the director . The overall process was longer than expected but each encounter was pleasant

Senior Oracle Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at TransUnion (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Once applied on LinkedIn, internal recruiter reached out for screening process. Once completed first phone interview was set up with the hiring manager for 30 minutes for technical screening. 2nd interview was Skype with the team and was a detailed 2 hour technical interview, and final interview was on-site at the Chicago downtown location, which is a great location, with hiring manager, Sr manager, and VP of infrastructure for 30 minutes each. Everyone I interviewed with and spoke to were wonderful and they put me at ease during interview process. Recruiter I worked with was great throughout the whole process and was very prompt in replies and keeping me updated with how the process is going and what I can expect.

Overall I would say it was a great experience interviewing with the panel.

Call Center Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Crum Lynne, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransUnion (Crum Lynne, PA) in September 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. A week later, I had a face to face interview with 2 managers. Two days later I was offered a position.

Office Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at TransUnion in September 2017.

Interview

Total waste of time. About a week after applying I was contacted by email by a corporate recruiter to set up a phone interview for a few days later. The phone interview went very well, relevant questions and a little bit about the job. She couldn't tell me too much about the environment or job details as she was at HQ and the position was at another office. Let me know she would definitely reach out to schedule an in person or long phone interview with the local manager. Three days later I got an email confirming an appointment to meet with the local office for an in person interview four days from the email. Got to the in person interview to realize I just wasted time and that they must have already had someone in mind and were just doing filler interviews. Didn't get asked any questions about my skills relevant to the position. Didn't get asked about my skills relevant to my current positions. Nothing. Just got told about the job (which ended up being a lot more than what was in the job description and what the corporate recruiter knew about), was told about the company, and listened to the interviewers talk about themselves. Lasted about an hour and fifteen minutes. If you know you've made a decision and are blatantly wasting other interviewees time maybe cut it short next time. Got the "thanks but no thanks" email the next day, might as well have sent it the second I walked out the door.

Postgres Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TransUnion (Chicago, IL) in September 2017.

Interview

Application

I applied through LinkedIn. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at TransUnion (Chicago,IL) in Sep 2017.

Interview

HR reached out to me and I had a phone interview relatively quick. Attended two Skype Interviews and Scheduled a on-site interview and got my offer letter a three days after.
    Interview process was good. . Interviewers were awesome, and people at the office are pretty nice.

Interview Questions

• Whats your approach for solving any problem.How do you work to solve a problem?   Answer Question

HR Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TransUnion.

Interview

The entire process took approx. 4 months. After putting in my application in April, a recruiter quickly contacted me. on April 26th. She asked me to fill out another questionaire with questions such as "What are you looking for in a new position?", Please explain your knowledge of benefits and/or compensation systems, processes and procedures". I filled this out and sent it back the same day. On May 1, I was told that my answers were received, but nothing else. On May 17, I was asked to have a 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager, which is actually two hiring managers. The next day, I had a phone interview and very much enjoyed my chat with the two hiring managers. It went quite well. Following this, I was asked to do a skype interview with three people: the two hiring managers and their supervisor. This happened on May 31. I sent thank you notes, and hoped to hear back. I also reached back out to the recruiter and heard nothing. Almost 4 months since I first began the process, I finally received a very generic email noting that I was not selected on August 9th.

It was not a good candidate experience, and showed me a lot about how the company runs their business and their HR department. I would never treat my interviewees this way, and think it would be wise of them to streamline their process so that good candidates are not left on an island and confused about next steps.

Interview Questions

• How proficient are you with the Microsoft Office Suite - particularly Excel?   Answer Question
    • They asked multiple behavioral questions. Each interviewer had their own set.   Answer Question