TransUnion Reviews | Glassdoor

TransUnion President Jim Peck
Jim Peck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge this had led to working long hours at times but we are defiantly rewarded (in 25 reviews)

• It's challenging to think of any besides some of the "red tape" associated with working through processes at a large company (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Positive culture and amazing benefits"

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After spending my early career at small and mid-size companies, I'm so appreciative of the kind of benefits a company the size of TransUnion can offer. Our health insurance covers virtually everything I need, I got 12 weeks of maternity leave fully paid, the 401k plan is great. They even offer pet insurance!

Beyond the benefits plan, I'm legitimately happy here. My colleagues are fun and respectful, my manager is supportive, I rarely work more than 40 hours, and I truly feel that my contributions are recognized and appreciated.

Cons

It's challenging to think of any besides some of the "red tape" associated with working through processes at a large company. Certain processes like getting contracts signed or budget approvals are very formal and time consuming

Apr 19, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

We love seeing your positive experience as a TU associate - thank you for sharing a review! TransUnion values your opinion and takes feedback seriously.

2. "Transforming every day"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing tech, great leadership, solid culture.

Cons

So. Much. Change.

3. "Sr. Director"

I have been working at TransUnion full-time

Pros

Good medical and dental benefits
    Competitive salary

Cons

Continual stress of resource constraints

Aug 11, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

Thank you for sharing your review – TransUnion values your feedback.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Process Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Process Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been at TU for almost 14 years now, and my overall experience has been very positive. Yes, I've had to take on a few roles in the past that I wasn't fond of, but that's part of being an employee of a large company. Mostly though, I've been given great opportunities to expand my skillset, advance my career, all while working with some really fun and amazing people. I also love all of the Networking Resource Groups that have started up over the past few years, allowing us to network with more associates, take part in fun activities, learn new skills, attend special guest speaker events, while also getting the opportunity to be part of their Leadership Teams; talk about a great way to gain valuable management / leadership experience.

Cons

Like any large company, communication and collaboration could be improved. TU has taken on a lot of initiatives lately to address this, which has really positively impacted our overall communication between teams, creating a more 'teamwork'-type mindset.

At times, being asked to step in and fill other roles outside your responsibilities, to fill a gap; and usually that role is not a 'fun' one.

I'd also say, right now, a lot of us are overwhelmed with our workloads, due to all of the (great) initiatives we're undertaking. This has made our jobs more stressful, and more difficult to create a stable work / life balance.

Advice to Management

Better resource planning as we embark on new initiatives; need to hire additional resources sooner to allow adequate time for new-hire ramp-up

Leverage NRG training (e.g. Excel, Strategic Thinking) programs for roll-out to the entire organization to enhance our skillsets

Aug 11, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

Thank you for 13 years at TransUnion. It’s exciting to hear how passionate you are about working at TU! Your feedback is important to TU, so thank you for taking time to write a review.

5. "Amazingly empowering place to be!"

Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great and smart people who can make work fun
    Very interesting work
    Opportunities to influence both big and small
    Impact to the world in how we support information for good!
    Company shares the financial results with employees in extra days off and company performance based bonuses, profit sharing and regular benefit upgrades!

Cons

So much to do and still try to integrate work and life - but it is possible with wfh, optimizing resources, innovating and connecting to purpose!

Advice to Management

Thank you for your leadership! Keep it going!

Aug 11, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

Wow! What a positive review. TransUnion works hard to give its associates meaningful work, so I’m glad to hear it listed as a pro. Thank you for sharing your experience!

6. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growing revenue thru new products is the right way to do it. This has led to New jobs. The company also offers very good benefits and pay

Cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the fast growth it's created a lot of challenges but opportunities for everyone to benefit

Jul 25, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

Thanks for sharing such great feedback! TU cares about your experience as an associate.

7. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at TransUnion full-time

Pros

Fantastic People, Cool and Challenging Work, Growth, Great Benefits, Flexible Work Arrangements, Solid Leadership, Competitive Pay.

Cons

Food in Chicago cafe needs improvement.

Aug 11, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

Thank you for sharing your positive review!

8. "Sales"

I have been working at TransUnion full-time

Pros

great place to work at

Cons

couldn't be a better place to work

Jul 25, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

We love seeing your positive experience as a TransUnion associate! Thank you for finding time to write a review.

9. "analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good top managers, good benefits

Cons

very difficult to move up

Jul 25, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

Thank you for sharing your review – TransUnion values your feedback.

"Mostly good with some repetitive annoyances."

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at TransUnion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good people (for the most part), and a solid work-life balance.

Cons

The company's world revolves around Chicago (and Austin to a lesser extent). If you're not in Chicago (or Austin) your office probably won't get mentioned unless you're being shamed for doing something wrong.

Given the company's core focus, information security is of the utmost concern. For most day-to-day employees this is no big deal, but if you're a software engineer InfoSec will quickly become the bane of your existence.

By default, developers do not have local admin rights to their PCs/laptops. Instead you are given elevated privs on an app-by-app basis through clunky, obtrusive middleware.

InfoSec also routinely brings your PC to its knees by pushing 15-20 windows updates to it all at once - usually when you're trying to get crap done.

Need software installed? Get ahead of the curve. The process is cumbersome and time-consuming, and if the software isn't on the "approved list" you may be outta luck. Wanna install it yourself? Good luck. You don't have admin privs.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge other offices for their efforts.

Streamline InfoSec processes. That group is a major pain point for IT-centric employees.