TransUnion Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
TransUnion President Jim Peck
Jim Peck

Pros
  • Great Work- life balance in Transunion (in 66 reviews)

• Great benefits, work life balance, work from home option (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • At times work-life balance can be challenging but at the end it pays off (in 22 reviews)

• It's challenging to think of any besides some of the "red tape" associated with working through processes at a large company (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Positive culture and amazing benefits"

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After spending my early career at small and mid-size companies, I'm so appreciative of the kind of benefits a company the size of TransUnion can offer. Our health insurance covers virtually everything I need, I got 12 weeks of maternity leave fully paid, the 401k plan is great. They even offer pet insurance!

Beyond the benefits plan, I'm legitimately happy here. My colleagues are fun and respectful, my manager is supportive, I rarely work more than 40 hours, and I truly feel that my contributions are recognized and appreciated.

Cons

It's challenging to think of any besides some of the "red tape" associated with working through processes at a large company. Certain processes like getting contracts signed or budget approvals are very formal and time consuming

Apr 19, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

We love seeing your positive experience as a TU associate - thank you for sharing a review! TransUnion values your opinion and takes feedback seriously.

2. "Breath of fresh air!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people! A company where you can be yourself. Supportive culture.

Cons

Fast moving which can make the staff very lean at times - but offers great development opportunities.

Apr 19, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

TU cares about your experience as an associate - thanks for sharing such great feedback!

3. "Major Account Executive"

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at TransUnion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid executive leadership that is driving TU to be innovative and think outside the box.

Cons

Cut down on turn-around times for marketing services based solutions

Advice to Management

Continue to innovate and disrupt the credit bureau stats quo

Apr 19, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

Thank you for sharing your positive outlook during your time at TU!

"Breath of fresh air!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Before TransUnion, I worked years at a company where I spent most of the time walking on eggshells. My superiors were fine leaders in terms of their own work, but little emphasis was placed on managing people. As a result, there were multiple instances in which individual contributors like me were made to look incompetent, either directly (not allowing us to innovate processes or be proactive) or indirectly (discouraging or making it difficult to ask questions, resulting in situations that could have easily been avoided). Being a recent grad at the time, I convinced myself to accept that this is how a professional job was supposed to be. My needs were being met--I got paid, I had medical insurance and even PTO!--so what if I went home crying more than a few times?

Coming to TransUnion was like walking out of a burning forest and realizing the world isn't supposed to be on fire. The thing that struck me first was the people. I am encouraged by my managers to ask questions and brainstorm ways to improve existing processes. Everyone is treated like they have something to offer, and ANY efforts to learn more or do more are greatly appreciated.

The benefits can be overwhelming. In addition to the usual corporate package (medical/life, PTO, 401K), there are matching gift donations to charities, discounts on services like gym memberships, an internal recognition system, and on-site events for personnel to participate in and enjoy. The Chicago office even has its own fitness center with weekly yoga & cardio classes. I've been here for almost two years and I'm STILL learning what all we offer.

Of course, it's impossible to enjoy any of the benefits without work-life balance. Good thing that is one of TransUnion's major strengths. We are discouraged from working overtime, and if we feel like we are losing that balance, the culture of communication makes it easy to talk to managers about it. There is still a bit of the "I'M working overtime but I'm going to chide YOU for working overtime" hypocrisy that I experienced at my old job, but here, it comes from a place of "we don't want you to burn out," not "stop costing us extra money."

My experience here has been incredibly refreshing so far. TransUnion is a great company that cares about its people. It's fair to say my past experiences certainly color my perception, but at least I can say so far TransUnion hasn't given me a reason not to trust and appreciate the company. I feel like I've struck gold.

Cons

Despite how close TransUnion comes to perfection, no workplace is perfect. When there is a particularly messy or tedious challenge in some core process, the teams who have stake in managing that process quickly become reluctant to own it. When it happens repeatedly, we lose role clarity and it makes everyone involved look bad. It's especially challenging for new people who are told "when X happens, ask Y" only for Y to push them off to Z. I do think it's getting better (attitudes are changing), but it still happens on occasion.

Advice to Management

Continue looking out for us and pushing that work-life balance, please! That helps us give our best.

Mar 22, 2017 – Consultant

It’s exciting to hear how passionate you are about working at TU! Thank you for sharing your experience.

"Best thing next to Google"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is awesome they really do care about their employees and they make it a point to show you. Also there is lots of tenure in just about all the departments which says a lot

Cons

Because its a large corporate company a lot of times you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get things done but its gets done

Mar 22, 2017 – Consultant

We love seeing your positive experience as a TransUnion associate! Thank you for finding time to write a review.

"It depends on what you personally want from your job.."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at TransUnion full-time

Pros

Co-workers (developers) are mostly smart, open minded...

Based on your social skills or affiliations, you have little/no work on most days.

Covered parking is rewarded to good employees as a recognition.

Good challenges such as big data problems to discuss, understand and then ...

Cons

In general, there is a lot of exclusion, secrecy, racism, nepotism, hierarchy status, ...

Some of management practices causes issues/conflicts/resentment. For example, some issues are resolved while some are used to cause further rift.

Growth is null but the perks/assistance are based on your favoritism/IP scale.

Advice to Management

Be creative than merely copying LN products, bad mouthing, and attacking (attack issues not the person).

Apr 19, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

Thank you for sharing a review of your time at TransUnion. I’m happy to put you in contact with a member of our HR team, if you’d like to discuss further. Email us at LifeAtTU@transunion.com.

"You will fare well only if you do not disagree with your management"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at TransUnion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coffee is free, There are some good and intelligent people. If you are one of those people who likes to work 65-70 hrs. without any appreciation then you will love this place. There are some free breakfast and lunches that are offered from time to time. They pay for school but you guessed it right you will not have the time to study at all. They have a summer picnic if you have the time to take part. They are equal opportunity employers. Generally if you are not in the Global IT department you will do okay.

Cons

Upper management is completely disconnected from reality. They encourage making more with less but the IT department is far too skinny which results in people working more than 75 hrs/week. The IT CITO even is aware of this for a while but is unwilling to do anything about it. The biggest Con is that if you bring these problems to the IT AVP they force you out of the company. They have replaced good senior employees with offshore visa people with more plans to do the same. There is lack of support for merit based growth in this company but instead if you are part of the clique who follow orders ( right or wrong) you will fare well. No work life balance.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with reality. Ask why your people are working so many hours? Ask why your middle management does not bring this up to you? Ask why meeting dates is more important than quality? You will notice that most of your IT staff is unhappy because of this one individual only. How is that in this day and age you able to replace good people with offshore resources?

Mar 22, 2017 – Consultant

Your feedback is important to TU, so thank you for taking time to write a review. I’m sorry to read about your negative experience, but if you’re open to chatting more, please reach out to us at ... More

"Bad place for Technology Jobs and strong performers"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance is good. Lot of company sponsored events where there is free food and drinks. Flexible work from home policies and good PTO. If you happen to be in the right group, working for the right person, work can be interesting, exciting and challenging. This is not very common though. CEO is a pro sales person, so sales folks can definitely give it a shot. In some cases, having TU experience in the resume will make it attractive.

Cons

Career opportunities are very limited. As stated in other reviews, there is absolutely NO clarity on promotions. Mostly based on favoritism. There is NO recognition for going an extra mile or for doing something beyond the obvious. Compensation is below industry average (CR~0.75) and yearly raises are peanuts. Most people don't know spelling for the word MERIT ! Strong performers should stay away from TU, unless they want to chill and have a stable job. Technology being used is not the latest and most sought after in the industry.

Advice to Management

HR should do something meaningful for associates' career progression rather than saying "You are in-charge of your career" or setting up some random career sessions. Come up with processes/policies that would recognize associate contribution and discourage managers from being selfish. Favoritism should be curbed and it should be a level playing field for everyone. Also with a 0.75 Comp Ratio and a standard 2-2.5% raise, there is no way you are going to hire the brightest or cream of the crop.
    Top Management should STOP hiring their friends/relatives from previous work places ( HSBC, McKesson et al) unless the person is talented !
    Lastly, take some meaningful action on the feedback received from surveys and reviews posted in social media.

Apr 19, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

Thank you for sharing a review of your experience. I’m happy to put you in contact with a member of our HR team, if you’d like to discuss further. Email us at LifeAtTU@transunion.com.

"IT Project Manager"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, work life balance, work from home option.

Cons

Since the Greenwood village office is a field office (they are head quartered in Chicago), we don't always get the same opportunities to technology and projects as our Chicago counterparts.

Apr 19, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

Thank you for 3+ years at TransUnion and for writing a review. TU takes pros and cons seriously. If you’d like, send an email to LifeAtTU@transunion.com to discuss more.

11. "Technician"

Current Employee - Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technician in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits and employee opportunities

Cons

long hours involved and consistency of work on each shift

Apr 19, 2017 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience; TransUnion values your opinion. If you’d like to speak with someone about your review, please send us an email at LifeAtTU@transunion.com.