TransUnion Reviews | Glassdoor

TransUnion President Jim Peck
Jim Peck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "I shouldn't have had to sacrifice my work-life balance to get promoted" (in 37 reviews)

• "As with any large company in order to get things done sometimes you have to go through a lot of red tape" (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Forward thinking culture + great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at TU for several years. The culture just keeps getting better. Things are fast paced and continuously evolving (which I prefer). You are rewarded by thinking differently and going above and beyond. You are given opportunities to pursue cool projects or work outside your SME area. This usually requires you to work longer hours but gives you the opportunity to gain new skills and round out your career. The people I work with are smart, innovative, and not complacent. I've worked in several environments that don't value their people. This is not one of them and it's what keeps me at TU.

Cons

We are growing quickly and there's a lot happening. This isn't the company for you if you don't like change and to evolve. You have to be willing to ask questions and move the needle forward. If not, you will likely find this place frustrating.

Jul 5, 2018 – EVP, Human Resources

Feedback like this is so great to read! We've worked hard over the past few years to continually improve our culture, and I'm glad to hear you've seen and felt the difference. It’s true things move... More

2. "Amazing Management"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition, Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition, Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is full of some of the brightest people I have ever worked with and I have learned so much in my time at TU. The company prides itself in allowing you to be innovative and work with lots of autonomy. Management gives you the tools to succeed and empowers you to rise above the norms. My manager always encourages me to think creatively in solving problems and knowing that she supports me in exploring new methods allows me to continue thinking outside the box. If you are the type that is self-motivated and likes freedom to be creative & innovative then this is the place for you!

Cons

None. This place is amazing.

Advice to Management

Thanks so much for offering Flex Time Off and the ability to work from home!

Jul 5, 2018 – EVP, Human Resources

I'm so happy to hear you have had such a great experience during your time at TU so far. When I think about our evolving culture and the future of TU, I want every associate to have an experience... More

"Great company culture and benefits!"

I have been working at TransUnion full-time

Pros

I started working at TransUnion a little under a year ago, and I felt welcomed right away. They immediately offered benefits to employees, including health, vision, and dental insurance. There are also a lot of employees that work from home, which is a great perk! The company also fosters employee growth, and even has a career counselor for those interested in career development and developing their own personal brand.

Cons

There is not a lot of interaction or transparency between departments. There are also not many opportunities for new grads or those just starting their career.

"Great company but do not work in Global Technology department"

I have been working at TransUnion full-time

Pros

- Mission of the company is true to it's word
    - World class products
    - Company cares and gives back to surrounding communities
    - Great benefits

Cons

- Global technology organization has became a toxic work place, mostly being driven by an Information Security team that has no regard or respect for any other teams
    - Culture of executive micro management, leaders don't trust and often are forced to be in the weeds.
    - CIO who claims he cares about people but has no regard for his people or work-life balance and doesn't trust his leaders to the point he is in the weeds on everything and on every incident bridge
    - Work-life balance is terrible
    - Leaders do not know how to prioritize work

Advice to Management

- Information Security must learn how to partner with other teams and be less toxic.
    - Executives (VPs, SVPs, CIO) trust your people more and be less micro managing. Get off bridge calls.
    - Application developers need more training and better compensation

Oct 8, 2018 – CTO

First, I appreciate you sharing your candid experience. I’m proud of our company, our teams and the products we develop. You’re right, we care deeply about giving back to our communities around the... More

"Professional Environment"

I worked at TransUnion full-time

Pros

Great business environment to work in

Cons

Relatively boring job working there

Oct 1, 2018 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

Thank you for sharing your positive outlook during your time at TU!

6. "Employees want to be valued!"

I have been working at TransUnion full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule*based on performance*
    Benefits*when you’re single*
    Salary*only if you have a degree*
    Promotion *only if you’re liked*

Cons

The management provides unrealistic expectations and pushes employees to strive for goals that is not attainable. Feedback is not given for growth but to criticize. It’s of less of what you get from the experience but more of what they can get out of you. Management promotes employees whom they like even if they only been in their role for a short amount of time. True opinions and transparency is not welcomed. A lot of red tape policy. They encourage you to voice your opinion but you are later criticize for it.

Advice to Management

Your team is human and treat them as such. Great employees stay when they know they are valued and appreciated. If they know the work they do is valued you will have their loyalty.

7. "TransUnion"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crum Lynne, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crum Lynne, PA

I have been working at TransUnion full-time

Pros

Great overall benefits package. PTO, sick, holidays, and medical/dental/vision coverage.

Cons

Location of office is undesirable.

Oct 1, 2018 – Global Talent Attraction and Engagement Manager

TransUnion works hard to give it's associates great benefits and total rewards, so I'm glad to see those listed as a pro. Thanks for sharing such great feedback!

8. "Senior Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, support from manager, flexible time off

Cons

Not that technical, needs more cutting edge stuff.

Oct 8, 2018 – CTO

Thank you for writing a review of your time so far at TU. I'm glad to read that you're feeling the support of your manager and taking advantage of our great culture. We've worked hard to build an... More

"Strong momentum and committed to future growth"

Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransUnion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great culture, great people and overall a fun place to work.
    -Company puts in a decent amount of effort to keep employees happy (appreciation events and various outings throughout the year).
    -Open door policy - most senior level execs don’t have offices so it’s easy to interact with them everyday.
    -“Flexible” time off and work from home policy

Cons

-Huge work/life balance problem. Most people work late into the day after they get home.
    -Flexible time off is great and all but frowned upon when you take more than 15-20 days. Workload also prevents you from taking advantage of it.
    -Misogynistic culture. Company is sexist towards women and some females are mistreated.
    -Weak middle management.
    -Lots of favoritism going around.

Advice to Management

Company headed in the right direction

Sep 13, 2018 – EVP, Human Resources

I’m happy to hear that you are enjoying the people at TU and appreciate the employee experience we are all working to create for one another. But, favoritism and sexism are completely counter to the... More

"Good benefits, poor work/life balance"

Former Employee - IT Engineer, Senior in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT Engineer, Senior in Chicago, IL

I worked at TransUnion full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was at TU for almost 9 years. FTO and healthcare benefits are good. Nice offices, renovated in the last 5 years.

This is a *big* IT org/infrastructure. If you want experience in a large scale, highly siloed enterprise environment, this is for you. If you want to be a jack of all trades doing a little bit of this, a little bit of that, look elsewhere.

Cons

- The IT infrastructure staff is worked way too hard. Some groups have hundreds even thousands of servers to manage. Draconian change policies force even a lot of project work to be done after hours, meaning even if you are not on call you can end up working 2,3,4 nights a week after 10pm. The reason they do this is because incompetent staff have screwed things up so many times and they have actually started to fire those responsible for outages but there is little to no accountability in management, where people are regularly promoted and shuffled around rather than being fired for doing a horrible job.

- There are at least 3 too many layers of management. There is no way anyone should have a boss’s boss’s boss’s boss’s boss before getting to the CTO. TU has never met a problem that can’t be solved with another manager. This also means even if engineers have sorted out a solution on their own there is bound to be a manager somewhere who decides that they are going to ‘take the lead’ and basically make everyone do all the work again with the same result. This also leads to 20 people on every single 2am tech bridge call where people endlessly talk over each other and are forced to give a recap of the entire problem once the next-higher person in pecking order joins the call.

- While pay raises are relatively consistent, don’t ever expect anything more than 2-3%. Bonuses are pretty low too, topping out at about 2% after taxes. Hardly enough to make any sort of impact on your overall salary.

Advice to Management

Get rid of 1/3 of the managers and get the India IT office up and running sooner than later otherwise you are going to continue see an exodus of expert staff.

Sep 5, 2018 – CTO

I appreciate your feedback on your time at TransUnion and thank you for your nearly 9 years with us. We're a big company with a fast-growing tech team and that's creating new opportunities for our... More