TubeMogul Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at TubeMogul

2.9

Sort:

Planner Interview

Interview

Submitted application online and emailed recruiter I found on Linkedin who forwarded my info to hiring manager. Interviewed in office with 3 different employees. The interview itself I thought went pretty well, all sort of behavioral type questions as well as why you were interested in working for them. Ultimately I did not get the job, which was not that big of a deal. The complete lack of communication about timelines, feedback, next steps was incredibly unprofessional-ignoring any attempt I made to follow up and let me know what direction they were going to go in. It is ironic a company that prides itself on how much more transparent its platform is than ad networks, provided zero transparency about their interview process.

Interview Questions

• They were all pretty softball questions. Tell me about a time you had to solve a problem etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I was present for an on-campus interview and interviewed by an engineer and a product manager. The interview was pretty standard with background about the company, some behavioral questions, and the engineer was very helpful and patient during the technical questions. I was pretty slow on the uptake but I asked a lot of questions and with his help I eventually got the question.

Interview Questions

• Two trains cars are parachuted from the sky onto a set of tracks. They cannot communicate with each other. After falling on the tracks, the parachutes fall off and stay at their position on the tracks, and we may call a helper function to determine whether a train is next to a parachute. We must use the same program on both trains. How might we get the two trains to hit/connect to each other?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TubeMogul.

Interview

This took awhile with lots of emails and a couple of face to face.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offer letter, which I signed right away.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TubeMogul in October 2013.

Interview

I first contacted TubeMogul in April looking for a summer software engineering internship position, but all positions filled up. I found TubeMogul at my university's career fair in September and met with the recruiter I had been in contact with in April and received an invitation for an on-campus interview.

The on-campus interview lasted 30 minutes. I was given a PHP code snippet and asked to show what the function would return. I was also asked high-level MVC design questions.

One week later, I was invited to an on-site interview. The on-site lasted 3 hours and I spoke with 4 employees. One employee asked general programming questions involving analyzing code snippets, OOP, DB queries, and writing functions. The second employee asked front-end web dev questions involving javascript, CSS, and jQuery. The third and fourth employees did not ask technical questions, but instead evaluated me for a cultural fit.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here specifically, rather than at another East Bay software company?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at TubeMogul (Berkeley, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

I met them at the career fair and got an email the following day for an interview

Interview Questions

• If you were to design Twitter, how would you do it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TubeMogul (Emeryville, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was referred by an employee. Recruiter contacted me and he scheduled a screening interview. After the screening round; a technical phone interview was scheduled with the Director of Engineering team.

Technical Phone Interview - It was 30 minutes interview. He asked me questions on Java, Spring framework and the projects I had listed on my resume. I answered all the questions. He gave me an overview of what his team does.
    After the technical phone interview, I waited for a week but I did not get any update from the recruiter. I sent him a follow up email to the recruiter. He said they have closed the position I was interviewed for. However, the interviewer gave positive feedback about me. So, recruiter offered me a position in another team and asked me to come to their office for 4 technical interviews.

On-site Interview: Four engineers from an engineering team interviewed me.
    First Round: A software engineer interviewed me. He brought one of his colleague with him to the interview which I wasn't expecting. He asked me few questions on a project listed in my resume. Then he asked me to reverse a singly linked list. He also asked me SQL query. I solved the query using a different approach which the interviewer wasn't expecting. Initially, he said the way I have written the query is wrong. He wasn't aware that the same query can be written in different ways. I did not expect this from him. However, I convinced him in the end. He asked me how will I write the tables that he had given to me for SQL query in java. In the end there were some follow up questions on the same. He was supposed to interview me for 45 minutes but he interviewed me for 60 minutes

Second Round: Since the first interview did not finish the interview on time, second interview started late. As soon as he entered the room he directly went to the white board and wrote a problem. The problem was very vague. He said there are lot of messages and all the messages are unsorted. Sort the messages in ascending order. I started with an assumption which he agreed to when I explained him. But then he just kept confusing me till the end. There was lot of discussion involved.

Third Round: I just finished the second round and the third interviewer came up to me and said "Do you have any question?" If no, then we will solve a problem. He didn't give me a chance to relax a bit. He asked me to design an elevator system?

Last round was with the director. He asked me system design questions. He told me to draw the architecture of any project written in my resume. Once the architecture was drawn. He asked me to scale it. You should have a good understanding of load balancer, sharding, caching, why to use NoSQL over SQL, replication etc. I did pretty well in this round. He then asked me 4-5 behavioral questions. The interviewer was friendly.

Tip: Interact with the engineers while solving problems.
           Give more emphasis on team player skills during behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Reverse a Singly Linked List and SQL Query (GroupBy and Joins)   Answer Question
    • Given a list of messages in unsorted order. How will you sort it? The problem does not involve sorting it using any sorting algorithm.
      Hint: All the messages have a sender, receiver (Parent-Child relationship) and timestamp. Sort the messages considering these 3 factors. Overall, the problem statement was vague.   Answer Question
    • Design an elevator system.   Answer Question
    • Draw the architecture of a project. How will you scale it?
      Hint: Load balancer, Sharding, Replication, NoSQL, Caching.   Answer Question
    • - Tell me about a time when you were working in a team and one of your team memeber did not contribute to the project. What did you do?
      - Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with your team mate.
      - Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TubeMogul.

Interview

The interview process was smooth, the recruiting team was good. The development engineers are great and smart folks. The Test Engineering Team is very immature, they seem to have promoted insecure people to Managers just because they have been in the company for couple of years with no real experience.

Interview Questions

• Standard Algorithmic questions. Was able to answer all of the questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TubeMogul (Emeryville, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

First an interview at my university campus since we're a a short ride away, followed by an on-site interview. The first one was very easy, the second one was pretty easy too -- about a 3 hour process, divided up between 3 different interviewers. Overall very simple questions in hindsight, but faltered a bit since it was my first time interviewing (this was as a freshman). The office was nice, the people I met were alright as well.

Interview Questions

• 1. Convert a sorted array into a binary tree, and then parallelize the algorithm. 2. Get the intersection of two lists.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TubeMogul (Berkeley, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

After talking to a recruiter at college career fair, I was scheduled for on-campus interview. After the the on-campus interview, I was scheduled for on-site interview at Emeryville. Entire interview process was super smooth and quick.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TubeMogul.

Interview

1. On Campus Career Fair - Resume Screened
    2. On -Campus Intern : Basic sorting questions, hash tables
    3. On-Site interview: Talked to 3 different engineers including project lead for web development