Tumblr Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Tumblr Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2017

2.9

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tumblr.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter about a month later. We then set up a phone interview. The questions asked during the interview were perfunctory and they didn't show any interest in my answers, and seemed in a rush to get through the process. Received a rejection email the next day. I wasn't as disappointed as I would've been without the lackluster interview. Pretty discouraging.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past internship experiences.
      Why Tumblr?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tumblr (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Had a brief phone screen with the hiring manager for a product design internship after applying online. I got a pretty late response after a month or two, and the hiring manager didn't seem too enthusiastic about the interns or too interested in what I was describing.

Trust and Safety Ambassador Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tumblr.

Interview

I applied online, and within a few days I was contacted by someone. We set up a phone call, and it was a pretty standard phone interview, I thought it went well. While I, of course, don't expect that a phone interview is definitive of anything, I do expect some level of professionalism towards people who are interviewed, whether by phone or in person. After our phone call, I heard absolutely nothing, not even a rejection, despite courteous follow-up inquiries via email over a month since the initial interview. This greatly disappointed me, as it only takes a minute to simply write, "thank you for your time, we have decided to move forward with other candidates." I still admire the company but was left with a bad taste in my mouth after this experience.

Product Manager- Growth Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Call, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Tumblr (Call, TX).

Interview

The questions were not clear and did not speak to the job role core actions and responsibilities. It seemed like more process and less comprehensive analysis questions. When the role requires a much needed product market fit and strategy type knowledge/experience base. No data or analytics questions were asked.

Product Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tumblr (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

It was pretty straightforward -- first a phone screen with a recruiter (who was super easy to talk to), then iirc a technical phone interview with the team, then a coding challenge, then an onsite where part of the interview was going over your coding challenge and presenting the work you did.

N/A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tumblr (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

As this was one of my favorite companies I have considered applying for and the fact that I was contacted for an interview i was beyond excited!!!
    I went through their interview process which was 3 parts. First you get a quick introduction interview with their internal recruiter (he was super nice). Then they schedule you for a phone interview with 2 members that lasted about an hour of detailed questions (that's fine so far). Then they asked me to come on site where I met 6 people and had to do a take home assignment prior, which I went over during the on site interview. (I received great feedback on the assignment during the interview).
    The interview was long but very pleasant.. Every person I met was very friendly and answered every question in great detail. I felt the interview went very well and was hoping to be considered for the opportunity.
    After the on site meeting I followed up here and there and would receive emails every few weeks from the internal recruiter letting me know the job status is still in progress. This went on for a few months, however when I followed up after not hearing back for a while they went dark.

I understand if another candidate was a better fit or a different decision was taken, but a simple status update to the candidate is more professional than completely disregarding them. I have interviewed candidates in the past that completely didn't make sense for the position I was looking to fill yet I always made sure to provide them with a final decision. I was very disappointed in not hearing back not only because I didn't make it but completely disregarding their candidates. Sadly I have read this in other reviews on here where they went dark. So good luck!

Interview Questions

• The questions ranged from "tell us about your experience" to discuss a project you've worked on in detail.   Answer Question

Community Outreach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tumblr (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Had 2 interviews, one phone, one in person.
    Took a while for the hiring manager to respond, but finally got the in-person one.
    You get interviewed by 3 people and they took weeks to let me know I didn't get it.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tumblr (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Had 2 phone interviews, one with recruiter & one with hiring manager, followed by an in-person with 2 team members, ongoing & clear communication through out process with HR, but after the 3rd round, they went dark. I never got a response to any of my email follow ups. I know that's never a good sign, and the position wasn't going to be offered, however acknowledgement of candidate follow ups for status & possibly even one sentence feedback, would have gone a long way. I understand time is limited but a quick response shouldn't require much in the way of extended resources, and can make a significant difference in an applicants feelings when reflecting back about their experience with a company, not just as someone who has taken time to pursue and share strong, passionate interest in joining, but as a future user and potential partner.

Interview Questions

• Mainly tell me about yourself, conversation based, less probing direct questions, & more dialogue.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tumblr (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Met with the COO then a few PMs, engineers and then the CEO. It was pretty easy although it was obvious that they don't have a strong product culture - at least a few people mentioned that they kind of just build whatever they think might do well. The CEO is super hung up on the PMs being Tumblr super users which is probably why I didn't get the job. People were great though and the office seemed cool.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a mobile app that you like and why?   1 Answer

Event Production Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Tumblr (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Phone call, then in-person interview
    The employees were all extremely friendly and engaging
    They were personable and wanted to get to know their interns as people
    The offices were amazing
    They are very transparent, and are looking for enthusiastic Tumblr users
    The pay is very high for an internship
    They really want interns to be highly involved in all aspects
    They are unintimidating and easy to talk to

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Tumblr?   1 Answer