Turn Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Turn Interview Questions

Updated Nov 7, 2017

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Turn.

Interview

I had two phone interviews.
    Applied online at University job board, received an email to schedule the first phone interview a few days later. The interviewers was very nice. The interview began by the interviewer introduced the company, the engineering team and the position. Then I was asked three technical questions. They are not the typical algorithm problems you see in Leetcode but closely related to the position you applied (I applied to the web application position).
    Received an email to schedule the second phone interview a weeks later after the first phone interview. I was asked two technical questions. Nothing special and too difficult but I took longer time to write down the complete solution. There fore I got rejected.

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Turn (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Phone interview from current holder of job went extremely well. Hiring manager was unable to interview me for personal reasons. I actually never spoke to that person despite interviewing with 9 other people.

I was brought in for an onsite interview in San Francisco which consisted of meeting three key reports and then an additional four people via video conference. As one final in-person interview was proceeding we were interrupted by the current job holder which ruined the flow of the conversation. This person then fired off a what if scenario which stumped me because I wasn't sure of the protocols at this particular company and I misunderstood her question. The person seemed very unhappy with my response and I sort of felt my entire four hours of interviewing had closed with me failing to adequately answer that question.

I had one more phone interview with the head of Sales while he was driving which went extremely well and after being told I would be set up with additional interviews I simply wasn't contacted again. Around the same time I got two solid job offers, so I let it go but I felt it was strange nobody ever confirmed I hadn't gotten the job. I assumed that the acquisition of Turn to Amobee may have contributed to the lost signal.

Interview Questions

• How would you address the problem of a salesperson overselling on a promise?   Answer Question
    • What is your management style?   Answer Question
    • Has there been a time when you've been frustrated in your career? How did you solve that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Turn (Syracuse, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied for multiple positions on the career website on May 25th and received a phone screen invite on June 1st. After which the process was pretty quick and straightforward. All the interviewers were very friendly and helpful. The responses from Turn were very quick and the process of scheduling the next interviews was smooth. The questions were mostly only technical and related to data structures and OOP concepts. Solid understanding of CS basics such as algorithms and data structures will get you through the interviews with ease.

Interview Questions

• The team wanted me to solve the coding questions in Java
      Interview #1: 3 coding questions.
      Interview #2: Linked List based question. After i was done with the the code, they made changes to the questions just to check if I could make the appropriate changes to my code.
      Interview #3: Basic concepts based questions and resume go-through
      Interview #4: Onsite like interview. Because of a different location, i gave 4 rounds on hangouts. 2 rounds were on system design and 2 rounds were completely coding.

Got +ve reply the very next date.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Turn (Champaign, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online, then an interview coordinator replied back to me within one day and helped me scheduled an interview with the site Manager. The site manager contacted me personally to confirm the interview date and attached an file from the recruiter, which provides overview and engineer culture related to Turn. The first phone interview took about 1.5 hour. The manager gave an overview of Turn and answered my questions related to Turn. Afterwards, we worked on some coding questions and troubleshooting questions. The manager was super helpful and open and provided suggestions for my answer. In the end of interview, the manager gave immediate feedback and decided to invite me to the on-site interview. Before the onsite, I needed to fill out a document related to employment information and answers fews question from the recruiter. The onsite was from 10am to 2:30 pm with 3 engineers and the manager at the end of interview. Everyone was very open, friendly and helpful. During the interview, I was able to chat with the whole team at Champaign. In the end, I was asked for feedbacks related to Turn and informed that Turn liked to move forward with me. The manager is really nice and responsive through the process. The next round generally was to speak with team (2 engineers, VP engineer and the recruiter) in Redwood City. The recruiter is amazing. She is the most engaging and detail-oriented recruiter I have met. The conversation between the recruiter was very personal. After each round, she reached out to get my latest situation and make sure that I will be happy and make growth at Turn. After Turn made the decision, the manager and the recruiter worked very hard and tried their best to provide information in all aspects to help me make the decision. The recruiter helped me to connect with SVP and VP engineer to learn more opportunity at Turn and career choice. Cannot image a company at size of 400 people will put so much efforts on a junior candidate. In the end, I had to make decision between Turn and another opportunity. It was a very tough choice for me. Unfortunately, I did not take the great opportunity from Turn, because I was more interesting in some projects, which have better match for my personal goal, at another opportunity. However, I will definitely highly recommend for applying and taking the opportunity at Turn.

Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Turn (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

HR is the MOST disorganized ever - kept rescheduling, didn't tell me when hiring manager is going to call, did not follow up after on site interview - have to call and get them to work so that they can give you a final answer. This is quite disrespectful.
    The role is analytics and client-facing yet none of the people in the on site interview asked me a single analytics/SQL/technical question.

Scientist, Applied Science Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Turn (Redwood City, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online in the morning, a recruiter by the name of Farri contacted me in the afternoon on the same day I applied. Then had a phone interview with an engineer 3 days later. Had another phone interview 1 week later. Then proceeded to onsite interview two weeks later. The recruiter, Farri, started to engage with me at this point. She's the most engaging recruiter I ever met. Farri went through many details ensuring that the process works out well for both parties (company and candidate).

Research Engineer Applied Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Turn (San Jose, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

1 hour phone interview, first ask some background questions according to your resume. the start coding via google docs. I think we talk too much and less time for the coding part. The following day a rejection email came and I guess it's because I didn't implement the real code but pseudocode instead.

Interview Questions

• how to get all combination from 4 list, each list contains certain numbers.   1 Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Turn (San Jose, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

One phone screen and one phone interview with the hiring manager, one phone interview with the senior technical writer. Submitted up to 3 different kinds of work samples (1 infographic, 1 tutorial video, 1 Word doc writing sample).

Applied Science Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Turn in April 2016.

Interview

Very smooth experience, seems somewhat scripted. Three phone interviews. First was on algorithms, second and third were on applied and theoretical data science. Questions were not too difficult and fair. Algorithm questions were easy to medium on leetcode, answer 3 or 4 within an hour. Data science questions focused on learning theory and statistical basics. Questions pertained to regularization, variance of sample mean, etc. Heavy emphasis on bias-variance tradeoff.

Interview Questions

• Describe undersampling in terms of the bias/variance tradeoff.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Turn.

Interview

A bad interview experience as they made me do 3 one hour technical phone interviews, spread over several weeks, even though I was a local candidate. The recruiter also demanded that I provide the name of every company & position I was interviewing for, which no other company had done.

Interview Questions

• What other companies & positions are you currently applying for?   1 Answer