Tutor.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 27, 2017

2.5

College Essay-Level Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tutor.com (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

You take a test in the subject matter you want to tutor in, and if you get 84% or higher, then you go to the next step. They give you a mock-trial session with voice and text and videos to help you understand the classroom. The mock-trial is them imitating a session you may have while working, which can be a little weird because you may have someone older pretending they're 13.

Then if you pass that, you're pretty much employed once you send your paperwork in.

Online Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tutor.com.

Interview

The interview process consists of submitting an application, successfully completing a subject proficiency test, a mock tutoring session with an interviewer, and a background check. The entire process took about a week.

Interview Questions

• The most challenging part was being asked to explain a concept without giving away the answer during the mock session, though that is a huge part of being a tutor so I am glad that is part of the interview process.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Tutor.com (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

1-phone screen
    2-phone technical screen
    3-In person

these are all 3 steps: step 2 was with CTO, step 3 was with CTO+ 3 others

by the way they never call or respond to you if they don't hire you, I think these is very bad

Interview Questions

• 1-salary, tell me about your self, bala bla bla
      2- tell me about your projects, bla bla bla
      3- Binary Search algorithm
          * what is the difference between interface and abstract class (OOP)
          * FizzBuzz algorithm
          * how to connect mobile app to DB? what if we loose connection and we want to perform an operation?
          * SQL question : write - inner join left join right join and full outer join ?
          *   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Tutor.com (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Very straightforward. Interviewer went through process beforehand, then role played through online messaging and voice. The appointment was on time and the interviewer was pleasant. During role play must stay in character as to give a full presentation of the job duties.

Interview Questions

• The questions are related to the field of study you are going to tutor.   Answer Question

Economics Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tutor.com.

Interview

It was a mock session with a student. Seeing if you knew the basics of the topic plus the software used. Lasted about 45 minutes, and your job was to show them you could perform well with a student. Afterwards, I was told how I could improve and what I did well.

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tutor.com (Virginia Beach, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

You apply online, then take a test over the subject you want to tutor. If you pass, you do an online interview with a mentor. The interview is actually a practice tutoring session online. So you have to read the resources for how to tutor that are given to you.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a student behaving inappropriately?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tutor.com in April 2016.

Interview

Apply for subjects that are open and accepting tutors (mostly STEM). Take subject tests, and must pass with 80%. Have remote, mock tutoring session with a mentor. I heard back after turning in an application within a week, and then was hired within a day. You will be probationary for about 3 months.

Interview Questions

• Mock tutoring session, so know your stuff for the subjects you took and passed tests for.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tutor.com (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

The competency tests that you have to complete aren't hard. You have to pass those before you schedule for a mock tutoring session with a mentor. The mock tutoring session was a joke. I was rushed through it and as I was writing an answer to my FIRST question, the interviewer wanted to connect to a voice call. I was totally caught off guard and didn't even have time to gather my thoughts. She ended the phone call and the session within 2 minutes after. They asked me to reschedule, so I did and the interviewer never connected. I contacted tutor support regarding the issue after waiting 30 minutes to connect (it wasn't a connection issue). After 4 days I still haven't heard anything from tutor support.

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tutor.com (Richmond, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

After creating a profile they have online tests for the all the subjects offered. When you pass one you're able to schedule a mock interview. My subject is accounting, which you have to have a degree to tutor, and the degree plus the test are your proof of knowledge, so the mock interview essentially just makes sure you're capable in the aspects of tutoring outside of content knowledge. The interview takes place in the online classroom that you tutor students with. The interviewer had no accounting knowledge but had some accounting questions for me, pretending to be a student. I could have made my answers up as long as it was convincing, because at this point they just want to make sure you can break it down and help a student who is completely clueless. The interview was 43.6 minutes long (It saves the transcript, which is how I know), and tested my tutoring ability using the chat function, then the voice function. At the end, my interviewer told me that I'll know in a couple days if I got the job.

Interview Questions

• There was a question on bond amortization   1 Answer

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tutor.com in November 2015.

Interview

application. pass test (90% i think) in the subject areas, must take 2. oral mock interview online in one of the two subjects (you don't know which one) using the classroom software. background check email. submit a tax form. wait for them to say you can start tutoring (which will probably be floating until the next schedule is available to claim hours). whole process took a month. i applied nov 4 2015, had mock interview mid november, and received okay to start tutoring as probationary tutor on nov 24. promoted to tutor 1 in less than two months.

Interview Questions

• in mock interview, she pretended to be a student that needed help with a genetics/punnett square problem.   1 Answer