Tutor.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kate Walker

Pros
  • Very flexible schedule and you can work from home (in 65 reviews)

• awesome job with flexible hours (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and benifit are expensive (in 33 reviews)

• Time in between does not count, unless you are in scheduled hours (in 17 reviews)

1. "Content Reviewer/ Tutor"

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time

Pros

Great Company, no problems, easy to work with and very direct

Cons

I can sometimes not get my hours scheduled even as a senior tutor.

2. "Tutor"

I worked at Tutor.com part-time

Pros

choose your hours but i would still recommend this to students who are seeking a job while in school or to make money on the side

Cons

too few clients sometimes but his did not deter me from continuing with the company because i wanted to work

3. "Flexible"

Current Employee - Tutor in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Tutor in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Tutor.com (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible hours and some experience

Cons

not enough hours sometimes and can be frustrating

"Good place for a first job"

Former Employee - Math Tutor I in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Math Tutor I in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Tutor.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice first job because it doesn't require a degree.

Cons

Horrible times. New tutors will be given worst times (typically like 4am, 5am or midnight).

User can bring your ratings down quickly. Example, it is policy to not give answers directly, but if a User just wants an answer and is not given it, they can end the session and give you the lowest rating. This matters because Tutors must maintain high rating. So following company rules will give you lower rating sometimes.

Advice to Management

Tutor should not be based on ratings (I did hold a near constant 4.8/5.0 rating, the rating wasn't an issue to keep up for me). I believe that the tutor is knowledgeable in the field and should not be subject to a rating. Users should flag sessions if they believe it was not good and the Tutor "Mentor" should review it case by case.

"Decent for supplemental income"

Current Employee - Tutor I in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Tutor I in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible schedule and you can work from home.
    You can tutor using voice or by typing based on your preference, but you will get more students if you use voice.

Cons

Pay is less than you would make tutoring in person.
    The online "classroom" can have bugs at times.
    You have 10 seconds to respond to a student request before you lose them to another tutor so you must stare at your computer nonstop when working.

Advice to Management

Make promotions more incentive.

"Tutor.com"

Current Employee - Mentor
    Current Employee - Mentor

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling - you can pick which hours you want to work every week (assuming those hours are available), most of the students truly want to learn and are grateful for your help, great way to stay up to date on subject matter, generally supportive management staff, there are opportunities for advancement.

Cons

There are not always many hours available, particularly in the summer...this makes it difficult to meet the metrics to obtain bonuses; pay is significantly less than what I would charge to work with someone privately. Tech support is far from responsive - although they claim to respond within 1 business day, I have never seen it take less than 3-5 days.

8. "Good for what it is"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely easy to work from home and around your own schedule if you manage to snag the hours.

Cons

Can be quite difficult to get hours at the start. You really have to be ready to schedule the moment the new week opens up.

"Not a very good company to work for."

Pros

Decent pay for those still in college

Cons

Will not sustain you long term, no benefits, etc, content knowledge must therefore be lacking.

Advice to Management

Same as most of the review's cons.

"Good for Grad Students, Hawaiians."

Current Employee - Tutor I in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Tutor I in Remote, OR

Pros

Can't beat the flexibility in scheduling. You log on whenever you want, can work as little as a few hours a month. You need to know your stuff (kids expect you to know the answers to complex math problems off the top of your head) but averaged over a lot of sessions, good work is recognized by the management.

Cons

It is difficult to get hours. You often have a long wait times between students and sessions are short (you are pressured to keep them under 30 minutes) so it is hard to accumulate paid hours. On top of that you are capped at 4 hours per day. So even if you can hit your max your total pay will be low. I rarely hit my max despite being logged in 6-8 hours/day, except around mid term/final exam weeks.
    On top of that, the only time that is is busy is when kids are doing their homework, which is around 5-9pm ET. Hardly any students log on until school is out at ~2 pm ET. This makes it ok if you have a day job and want to work through dinner, but means it cannot be your day job unless you live in Hawaii.
    I had one really exceptional month in May during exam time where I took home $1000. Most months it is ~$300-$400 because I am logged in but there is no one to tutor.

Advice to Management

Hire fewer tutors! Or fire some of the worse ones. You are way overstaffed which makes this a low reward venture for tutors.

"Tutor"

Pros

As a current tutor, I am hoping to start a protest until tutors receive a reasonable pay increase....Any other current tutors who are not satisfied with their current situation with tutor.com are encouraged to join me! We need to demand some changes Please send me a message if interested

Many of the students are great kids and its wonderful working with them.

Cons

Pay is very low.

One student's poor review based on you saying you will not solve for them, or encouraging them to try on their own can lower your tutoring average significantly. These same reviews are NOT looked over by monitors and are NEVER removed no matter how unjustified the review is. This sets up for an unfortunate dynamic between tutor and student, where the tutor is forced to go along with student wishes and demands for fear of a poor review. Its pretty sad.