Tutor.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Kate Walker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I enjoy the ability to work from home and choose my own hours (in 76 reviews)

• Flexible hours, choose your own working times, (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, they do not make it easy to get promoted to tutor II or tutor III (in 35 reviews)

• You manually select your scheduled hours, but this ends up being a struggle with everyone trying to secure available hours all at once (in 18 reviews)

"Flexible Hours"

Current Employee - Tutor III in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor III in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Tutor.com is a truly rewarding experience. It is a great way to give back to the community and foster the educational growth of the next generation. The hours are very flexible, so this is a great side job, and I would definitely recommend it for college students.

Cons

Unfortunately, the availability of tutoring hours fluctuates greatly, so a consistent tutoring schedule is very difficult to establish. You also will have a hard time tutoring for more than 6 hours per week as availability is very low.

2. "college essay tutor and literature tutor"

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job is flexible, I like helping students who really want the help. The interaction with motivated students can be very rewarding.

Cons

My major issue is with how if a student complains about anything , the mentors have to re-enforce it, even when the complaint is due to the tutor following a tutor.com policy. I had one student actually complain because as an English tutor, I explained the difference between there and their. The mentor actually said I wasn't to correct them when the error was in their chat message. They really embrace the concept of the customer is always right. When the customer is a happy to be ignorant, middle school kid, obviously that can be a problem. I think it undermines their claim that they primarily care about education, obviously they do not. They also seem to think we can read the minds of every student and avoid making them complain in any way. The culture is not supportive of the tutors so I am pretty sure their turn over rate is high.

Advice to Management

Show more support for the tutors. You have the mentors swoop down at the drop of any discontent from students, but you ignore the positive reviews which might deserve some notice as well. Also decide what your policies are and don't modify them to fit every random complaint from students. It places tutors in a double bind, which is not conducive to keeping the employee. You need to do more to show appreciation to dedicated tutors.

3. "Tutor II --English/Writing"

Current Employee - Tutor II English/Writing in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Tutor II English/Writing in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The flexible schedule is incredibly nice, and the pay for working from home is not bad. I get better pay tutoring here than I would get doing a part time service job. It's also extremely rewarding to work with students. Mentors and management are fairly easy to talk to and always show cool heads when something comes up. Many online companies do not seem to have a personal touch, but in five years, I have never had a bad email/phone exchange.

Cons

Hours are possible to get, but you have to sign up and vie for hours in a rush. Work is also not steady throughout the year. Winter break and summer break are rather slow, but both have improved greatly as tutor.com has expanded services over the past three years. I used to twiddle my thumbs all day during the summer to get even two hours a day, but now I can get four hours and just work on something else while floating (waiting) for a student.

"tutor"

I worked at Tutor.com part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work in the comfort of your home.
    Very understanding management. Very kind.

Cons

Follows the school year in terms of busy times.

"Great Job But Not Worth the Pay"

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked for Tutor.com for over two years, and I am a senior level essay writing tutor. I love the actual work.

My mentors have always been great and the evaluations have been helpful.

Cons

It's gotten to the point where Tutor.com is just the job I fall back on when I can't get enough hours or bookings for jobs paying $20+ an hour in the ESL teaching field online. I'd rather not put out the same energy, time and effort (and often more of all of those) to make under $15 an hour, after all of this time. I'm an essay-writing tutor and not a STEM tutor, so that means I make lower pay.

The classroom software is improved now, but it is still deplorable. It's buggy, limited in functionality and not attractive to look at or interact with. Also, the other links that come with the app have tiny print that can barely be read.

Advice to Management

Pay teachers what they're worth.

"English tutor"

Current Employee - English Tutor in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - English Tutor in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-I enjoy helping students with their writing
    -the flexibility is great
    -the more subjects you can tutor, the easier it is to get the maximum amount of hours

Cons

-you have to balance adhering to the company's expectations and pleasing the student, because student reviews help or hinder your chances of promotion
    -there is a cap of 28 hours per week
    -the pay is decent, but could be better

Advice to Management

Increase the weekly cap of hours so quality tutors can work more.

"College Essay-Level Tutor- Level 1"

Current Employee - College Essay-Level Tutor-1 in New York, NY
    Current Employee - College Essay-Level Tutor-1 in New York, NY

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've only been working with them for a few months, but there is definitely a few pros. The hours are extremely flexible, you schedule your own or you can float (but you don't get paid for the waiting time when you float). It's also a very rewarding job since you are helping people. For your first few months, you also work with a mentor that will basically instruct you on your approach and offer some tips.

I would pretty much recommend this job to someone who wants to earn extra money on the side or to a college student

Cons

One big con is the dry spells. Usually, when there's no school in session, the site is dead. Of course, you get your one or few in the summer, but you have to wait a while before that even happens. It's also hard to schedule hours at times; unless you are the earliest day to schedule, it's hard to sign up for an hour.

Also, not every student would want to work with you in the way the site wants you to work with them. Many just want the answer or want you to be quick. Sometimes it's hard to not get frustrated when this happens.

Also, you only get paid to wait if you are scheduled for that hour, which is why this is really meant as a part-time job and not full-time. If you float around for a session (when you're not scheduled), then you don't get paid while waiting. You're only paid if you're in session.

Advice to Management

My biggest advice to management is talking to your tutors a little bit more to understand any issues that they may have. And also, maybe even communicating with the students as well. I feel like a lot of them don't really understand the process that you try and teach us, and it makes the session a lot harder than it would need to be.

8. "Great people, great projects, fulfilling work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Tutor.com full-time

Pros

Cohesive and dedicated team working hard to advance the mission of democratizing access to quality tutoring.

Cons

Tutor never fit within the IAC group.

"Great, Flexible Job, TERRIBLE hours sign up"

Current Employee - Science and Math Tutor
    Current Employee - Science and Math Tutor

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This job is extremely relaxed and pretty easy to do. The hiring process is fairly straightforward, and you get to work from home! I tutor STEM subjects so my pay ranges from $15-$17 a hour depending on subject. Honestly it is a really great job to have to supplement income, demands are low, and most of the people I have interacted with "mentors" are pretty nice, with the ones that are unresponsive getting let go pretty quickly.

Cons

You are probably wondering why isn't this a 5/5 star review? They really like their job! Well let's talk about hours. When you first start out you will be a probationary tutor, you will not get to sign up for hours until Friday at 12PM EST. Good luck getting hours when you first start out, by the time Friday roles around 90% of the hours are taken. Luckily I live in the pacific time zone so I can sign up for midnight to three in the morning hours without it being a huge problem for me, but if you live in the eastern time zone this is probably not the job for you. Once you get promoted from probationary your sign up time will be sooner in the week, except in the summer when everyone has a weird sign up schedule. Now let's talk about signing up at 12PM eastern time. That means 12:00:00, it does not mean 12:00:15 as in 15 seconds after the time, it means you better be on a computer connected to a satellite connection that has the exact time and sign up at 12:00:00, or all hours will be gone by the time you refresh your page. This has been extremely frustrating and disappointing part of the job. I have been working here over a year and seen many tutors complain and nothing has changed. So if you have something to do at noon EST this is not the job for you, because you will never be able to get hours.

Advice to Management

Change how hours are signed up for so it doesn't feel like you win the lottery every time you either get hours or don't get ones that are at 4 in the morning.

10. "Not bad"

Pros

Easy fast cash, reliable, set own hours

Cons

Some students don't want to learn, hard to get hours