KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Tutor.com Reviews

Updated May 21, 2022

Found 392 of over 606 reviews

3.5
Tutor.com CEO Hyoung Jun (Joshua) Park (no image)
Hyoung Jun (Joshua) Park

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,892

960 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "I am happy with the flexible hours and the paycheck I earn for the work I perform for tutor.com.(in 93 reviews)
  • "Flexible and work from home(in 58 reviews)
  • "Flexible schedule, you can go online whenever you want and get paid a fixed rate for how many minutes each session is(in 32 reviews)
  • "This is a good place to get extra money(in 9 reviews)
  • "great people to work with on your team(in 6 reviews)
Cons
  • "1) Pay is low at $12/hr and they want you to be an expert.(in 120 reviews)
  • "It's not a job you can live off of because it's part time and there are no benefits.(in 23 reviews)
  • "(5) The management and the mentors constantly get on your case about time limits or trying to show the student the steps to do the problems.(in 12 reviews)
  • "Outdated software(in 10 reviews)
  • "My current mentor was not even aware there was a daily hours cap in place (which leads me to believe this cap is placed on certain tutors).(in 6 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Tutor.com and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great part time gig through college.

Mar 3, 2022 - Tutor in Tallahassee, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, remote work, job not incredibly demanding.

Cons

Not dependable income for the summer months due to low demand.

Marketing Associate

Thanks for choosing to support learners with Tutor.com. We appreciate your review!

2. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Get $11/hr elsewhere

Apr 24, 2022 - Math Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

You make your own schedule

Cons

Like working at a remote call center where you don't get paid unless you get calls? This is the job for you! The schedule is flexible, but you're at the mercy of the user. If you don't have a session, no pay. If you schedule ahead of time (assuming there are available slots!) you get paid a fraction of the base pay if you don't get calls. Expect to be micromanaged. You're expected to be available for voice calls for like 85% of the time, but most of the students don't use it, and we're expected to teach them through a keyboard. You're expected to answer 85% of the calls, but you get called out if you transfer calls if you don't know the problem. No mercy if you get something wrong. I tutor statistics, and there are dozens of statistical software students can use. Am I supposed to know how to use all of them? Can make $11/hr anywhere, not worth it here. I tutor for another company and I love it. I was hoping to make some extra cash and help out students, but tutor.com is not it.

Marketing Associate

Thank you for the review. It’s imperative that we maintain rigorous quality assurance processes so that we consistently deliver safe and educationally sound experiences for learners. As software and tools have evolved through more than two decades, our dedicated tutors have continued to provide high-quality, student-centered academic support. Pay rates are determined by multiple factors, including subjects and locations, and are reviewed periodically. Please do not hesitate to contact us at tutorsupport (at) tutor (dot) com to share more about your experience. We look forward to connecting with you soon.

3. 1.0

An e-tutoring sweatshop

May 21, 2022 - Essay Writing Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

You make your own schedule. You work remotely.

Cons

You are paid extremely poorly for your expertise. Minimum wage was standard when I worked here. You are expected to be actively doing something at ALL times IF you are being paid. You are only paid for 100% of your working time during the specific hours during the week that you managed to secure for yourself by picking them up faster than the other tutors. During those periods, depending on your subject, you generally have not a moment's rest between students because incoming requests are directed to scheduled tutors before anyone else, and you are heavily penalized if you miss a request by not responding to it within 60 seconds. Tutor.com offers minimal scheduled hours because they expect tutors to "float." This is being marked as "online" outside of your scheduled hours, during which you are "on call" without being paid for your availability. You have to still sit at attention at your PC when floating, because you are still penalized if you take 60 seconds to respond to a request. And you are ONLY paid for the exact amount of time that you spend actively helping a student, if one is directed to you. You are graded on a variety of metrics and subjective standards by a supervisor who reads the transcript of every interaction you have. They are encouraged by their superiors to never give a perfect review of you; of course, if they did, you might get into your head that you deserve a raise or promotion. (This is something I was expressly told by other supervisors employed by Tutor.com who felt this pressure themselves.) So, they find one or two tiny things to nitpick--even spending too much time with a student--and use that to tell you that you have room for improvement. This also leaves open the possibility that you will be professionally penalized or fired if your supervisor consistently marks a "need for improvement" due to feeling overly pressured by upper management to give tutors subpar reviews. It doesn't matter if all of your students give you 5 star reviews. Overall, this is easily one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. You can literally be paid better and face less stress and pressure working as a cashier or stocker for nearly any major corporation.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee

Simple work but not the best way to teach students essay writing.

Apr 20, 2022 - Online Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Set your own hours 2. Can work asynchronously 3. Receive regular feedback

Cons

1. Website/app is not the most user-friendly or efficient (has some bugs) 2. Often expected to give feedback on an entire thesis in 20 minutes 3. Unless you schedule your time, you might not be getting paid for time dedicated to the job

Marketing Associate

Thank you for sharing your Tutor.com experience! It’s great to learn that you are pleased with the flexibility and feedback for your role. We’re developing an enhanced classroom experience for students and tutors. We look forward to sharing updates soon. In the meantime, should technical issues arise, please contact our team at tutorsupport (at) tutor (dot) com for assistance. For support regarding essay writing feedback practices or scheduling, please do not hesitate to consult the resource center or reach out to your quality specialist.

5. 2.0

Not great!

Nov 12, 2021 - English Tutor in Buffalo, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can make your own schedule and work from home. Also, if you like tutoring, it's always rewarding to work with students.

Cons

Their Classroom program is pretty janky; they launched a new version of Classroom that for some reason exists alongside the previous one, so you'll have to deal with a different UI sometimes for no reason. The new version is also extremely prone to crashing. The pay is also not great. As I understand it, it is also variable from state to state, as you'll be categorized as a part-time employee in some states and an independent contractor in others. For me, the biggest downside is the feeling of isolation from other tutors. I know that it's a remote job, but there's not really any way to communicate with your fellow tutors on the site. This is especially bad because some students using this service can be rude or even aggressive, something that I find is harder to deal with when you're isolated. The only person you'll really interact with is your Quality Specialist, who writes your reviews. I was lucky enough to have a nice and understanding QS, but I imagine that a bad one would make the experience of working here absolutely terrible.

8 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0

Supportive and Engaging

Apr 27, 2022 - English Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

-mentorship and check-ins from mentor -you set up your own schedule

Cons

-compensation over time could be better

Marketing Associate

Thank you for sharing a review! We’re glad that you had a positive experience with our company. We strive to create a supportive and engaging environment for everyone in our Tutor.com community. As part of that effort, our review of pay rates is underway. We look forward to providing updates to current tutors as soon as possible.

7. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Get paid for 1/2 your actual hours

Feb 10, 2022 - Tutor.com in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

work from anywhere on your schedule

Cons

You get paid relatively OK for tutoring which is not highly paid but there is a lot of overhead to the job. The top pay is about $21/hour. You get QA messages from the Mentors which you are suppose to read. You don't get paid for that. You don't get paid for the laborious scheduling time. Mostly only the students that have an axe to grind review. Laborious typing because 90% of students want to use 90's chat technology instead of audio. The app frequently disconnects or crashes which they blame on tutor. I have never lost a zoom call but the tutor.com app crashes a lot claiming it lost connection. Limited about of hours in many states to work. Some as few as two hours per day. Audio doesn't work 1/2 the time for the very few students who use it

3 people found this review helpful

Marketing Associate

Thanks for sharing your review. We are in the process of implementing an enhanced classroom experience for tutors and students. Should technical issues arise, please reach out to the team at tutorsupport (at) tutor (dot) com for assistance. Limitations on the number of hours tutors can work do vary by location, and scheduling is dictated by seasonal usage trends and times of high learner demand across subjects. However, we are working to extend our scheduling options. For compensation information, please visit the Tutor Resource Center at tutor.com/providers.

8. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Not going to pay the bills

Mar 31, 2022 - Online English Tutor in Newark, DE
    Business Outlook

Pros

Rewarding experience. Love helping students reach their full potential. The hours are super flexible and once you're past the introductory phrase you are mostly left to your own devices.

Cons

Limited hours, strict time limits, and so many things you're not allowed to do or say. They will chew you out for being TOO helpful. They want as few comments on peoples essays as possible because time is money. The pay isn't nearly good enough for them to be breathing down your neck about time.

2 people found this review helpful

Marketing Associate

Thanks for the review! Our rigorous quality assurance processes allow us to deliver an educationally sound and safe experience for students. We’re proud to work together with our tutors to provide high-quality academic support that meets each learner’s needs. Please feel free to contact us at tutorsupport (at) tutor (dot) com to share more about your experience. We hope to connect with you soon.

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

May 16, 2022 - Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very flexible and mentors provide great advice

Cons

Pay should be much higher for experienced tutors

10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Always changing, poor leadership

May 11, 2022 - Marketing Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

great people to work with on your team

Cons

constantly changing leadership, doesn't seem like they have a long-term plan

Marketing Associate

Thank you for the review. We are glad to learn that you enjoyed working with your team at Tutor.com! We’re also pleased to report that our company is growing, and that growth allows for the continuous development of our team of brilliant education, edtech, and academic support experts who drive the success of our company and, more importantly, the achievements of thousands of learners each year. We’re proud to share our story at tutor.com/about-us and to invite interested professionals to join us by applying at bit.ly/tprcareers.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 392 Reviews

Tutor.com Reviews FAQs

Tutor.com has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 606 reviews left anonymously by employees. 65% of employees would recommend working at Tutor.com to a friend and 39% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Tutor.com employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Tutor.com. This rating has improved by 14% over the last 12 months.

65% of Tutor.com employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Tutor.com 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.1 for culture and values and 2.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Tutor.com to be culture, work life balance and the cons to be career development, benefits, management.