Tutor.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Kate Walker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I enjoy the ability to work from home and choose my own hours (in 72 reviews)

• Flexible hours, choose your own working times, (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, they do not make it easy to get promoted to tutor II or tutor III (in 35 reviews)

• Good luck getting scheduled hours (in 17 reviews)

1. "College Essay-Level Tutor- Level 1"

Current Employee - College Essay-Level Tutor-1 in New York, NY
    Current Employee - College Essay-Level Tutor-1 in New York, NY

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've only been working with them for a few months, but there is definitely a few pros. The hours are extremely flexible, you schedule your own or you can float (but you don't get paid for the waiting time when you float). It's also a very rewarding job since you are helping people. For your first few months, you also work with a mentor that will basically instruct you on your approach and offer some tips.

I would pretty much recommend this job to someone who wants to earn extra money on the side or to a college student

Cons

One big con is the dry spells. Usually, when there's no school in session, the site is dead. Of course, you get your one or few in the summer, but you have to wait a while before that even happens. It's also hard to schedule hours at times; unless you are the earliest day to schedule, it's hard to sign up for an hour.

Also, not every student would want to work with you in the way the site wants you to work with them. Many just want the answer or want you to be quick. Sometimes it's hard to not get frustrated when this happens.

Also, you only get paid to wait if you are scheduled for that hour, which is why this is really meant as a part-time job and not full-time. If you float around for a session (when you're not scheduled), then you don't get paid while waiting. You're only paid if you're in session.

Advice to Management

My biggest advice to management is talking to your tutors a little bit more to understand any issues that they may have. And also, maybe even communicating with the students as well. I feel like a lot of them don't really understand the process that you try and teach us, and it makes the session a lot harder than it would need to be.

2. "Flexible Hours"

Current Employee - Tutor III in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor III in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Tutor.com is a truly rewarding experience. It is a great way to give back to the community and foster the educational growth of the next generation. The hours are very flexible, so this is a great side job, and I would definitely recommend it for college students.

Cons

Unfortunately, the availability of tutoring hours fluctuates greatly, so a consistent tutoring schedule is very difficult to establish. You also will have a hard time tutoring for more than 6 hours per week as availability is very low.

3. "Great people, great projects, fulfilling work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Tutor.com full-time

Pros

Cohesive and dedicated team working hard to advance the mission of democratizing access to quality tutoring.

Cons

Tutor never fit within the IAC group.

4. "Not bad"

Pros

Easy fast cash, reliable, set own hours

Cons

Some students don't want to learn, hard to get hours

5. "Great, Flexible Job, TERRIBLE hours sign up"

Current Employee - Science and Math Tutor
    Current Employee - Science and Math Tutor

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This job is extremely relaxed and pretty easy to do. The hiring process is fairly straightforward, and you get to work from home! I tutor STEM subjects so my pay ranges from $15-$17 a hour depending on subject. Honestly it is a really great job to have to supplement income, demands are low, and most of the people I have interacted with "mentors" are pretty nice, with the ones that are unresponsive getting let go pretty quickly.

Cons

You are probably wondering why isn't this a 5/5 star review? They really like their job! Well let's talk about hours. When you first start out you will be a probationary tutor, you will not get to sign up for hours until Friday at 12PM EST. Good luck getting hours when you first start out, by the time Friday roles around 90% of the hours are taken. Luckily I live in the pacific time zone so I can sign up for midnight to three in the morning hours without it being a huge problem for me, but if you live in the eastern time zone this is probably not the job for you. Once you get promoted from probationary your sign up time will be sooner in the week, except in the summer when everyone has a weird sign up schedule. Now let's talk about signing up at 12PM eastern time. That means 12:00:00, it does not mean 12:00:15 as in 15 seconds after the time, it means you better be on a computer connected to a satellite connection that has the exact time and sign up at 12:00:00, or all hours will be gone by the time you refresh your page. This has been extremely frustrating and disappointing part of the job. I have been working here over a year and seen many tutors complain and nothing has changed. So if you have something to do at noon EST this is not the job for you, because you will never be able to get hours.

Advice to Management

Change how hours are signed up for so it doesn't feel like you win the lottery every time you either get hours or don't get ones that are at 4 in the morning.

"Sketchy hours"

Former Employee - Writing Tutor
    Former Employee - Writing Tutor

I worked at Tutor.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work times, including nights and weekends.

Cons

Work times totally controlled by random log-ins from students. Must spend hours online waiting for work.

Advice to Management

Set up a scheduling algorithm.

7. "Excellent company with professionalism"

Current Employee - Mentor in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Mentor in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home. Professional and courteous management team. Set your own schedule. Great mentoring program for new tutors. Quickly advance if you desire to do so. Seeks feedback from tutors and mentors and actually works to improve the experience for the student and tutor.

Cons

Scheduling hours during non-peak time is a hassle to keep up with (Advanced Rotational Schedule). Tech Support is sometimes slow to respond to issues. Classroom module has some quirks. Low pay for some areas.

Advice to Management

Make pay commensurate with experience and subject being taught. Some math areas have low pay when they are actually difficult subjects to tutor. Pre-calculus for instance. Continue to seek feedback from your tutors and follow up on that feedback!

8. "Math tutor"

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time

Pros

-Flexible Hours
    -Can tutor from home
    -Staff is nice and very helpful

Cons

-Hard for the newer tutors to get hours

9. "Flexible schedule but difficult students to deal with"

Former Employee - Online Tutor
    Former Employee - Online Tutor

I worked at Tutor.com part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Nice and useful mentor

Cons

Some students were extremely rude
    I complained in the surveys many times about the unfairness of the rating system due to their tech issues, but nobody cared

Advice to Management

The regulations in language use should not just be put on tutors, it should also be applied to customers. Tutors are human beings, not answer machines. I hope the tutorial for students should emphasize that. Also, some students insisted asking me questions like how to use the tutor.com software or some unrelated questions. I know I could just leave without giving an answer as it was not my responsibility. However, tutor.com has a strict student rating system. Leaving without answers would lead to low rating. And sometimes when no other tutors were available, the same student would be connected to me again and again. If I refused, my absence rate would be high, also I would get a warning for that. But if I did answer, the student would either be very rude or leave and rate me low again. Either way, tutors are responsible for the loss. The system should not connect the same student and tutor twice in a row. Simple as that.

"Pay stinks"

Former Employee - Tutor II in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Tutor II in Erie, PA

Pros

Flexible hours you can choose the time you want to stare at your computer.

Cons

Only paid for contact so you can spend a lot of time doing nothing. Only give you a few seconds to respond to a request.