Tutor.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Kate Walker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I enjoy the ability to work from home and choose my own hours (in 77 reviews)

• Flexible hours, choose your own working times, (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, they do not make it easy to get promoted to tutor II or tutor III (in 36 reviews)

• You manually select your scheduled hours, but this ends up being a struggle with everyone trying to secure available hours all at once (in 18 reviews)

1. "A company that makes a difference!"

I have been working at Tutor.com full-time

Pros

This is a team that works on behalf of students. Honest, caring and dedicated. Team cares about each other and are motivated to succeed.

Cons

As with most companies could use more resources.

2. "Good for a side position"

I worked at Tutor.com part-time

Pros

Great for those who are looking for flexible side positions. Pays every two weeks in some states. Starts at 10 an hour. Perfect for a young college student who may not have much flexibility with transportation in between classes.

Cons

Not great for someone looking for a full time position. Caps you at 28 hours to avoid full time pay and benefits.

Advice to Management

Offer some full time positions for existing tutors and more flexible pay to increase morale. Also move platform away from internet explorer.

3. "Quliaty Assurance"

Pros

able to work from home

Cons

too much projects compare to QA

4. "Good Job for starting professional tutoring"

I worked at Tutor.com part-time

Pros

Nice pay for tutoring
    Flexible hours

Cons

No ladder to climb
    Tutors are scolded for following policies

Advice to Management

Stop siding with students. Most students just want answers, and when we tell them we can't but rather we can help them reach the answer, (which is the policy) they rage quit the session.

5. "Work from home job opportunity"

Pros

Hours can be flexible when needed.

Cons

You will be dealing with children

"My mentor was terrible"

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time

Pros

they have flexible times for working

Cons

My mentor didn't help me. She often only pointed out what I did wrong and asked if I reviewed the resources even after I told her I did. She was condescending and rude. I received an email with an invite to review and an incentive to include my name. I did and two days later, I was placed on a sort of probation when I was supposed to move out of probationary status. The pay is terrible.

"college essay tutor and literature tutor"

Current Employee - Online Tutor
    Current Employee - Online Tutor

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job is flexible, I like helping students who really want the help. The interaction with motivated students can be very rewarding.

Cons

My major issue is with how if a student complains about anything , the mentors have to re-enforce it, even when the complaint is due to the tutor following a tutor.com policy. I had one student actually complain because as an English tutor, I explained the difference between there and their. The mentor actually said I wasn't to correct them when the error was in their chat message. They really embrace the concept of the customer is always right. When the customer is a happy to be ignorant, middle school kid, obviously that can be a problem. I think it undermines their claim that they primarily care about education, obviously they do not. They also seem to think we can read the minds of every student and avoid making them complain in any way. The culture is not supportive of the tutors so I am pretty sure their turn over rate is high.

Advice to Management

Show more support for the tutors. You have the mentors swoop down at the drop of any discontent from students, but you ignore the positive reviews which might deserve some notice as well. Also decide what your policies are and don't modify them to fit every random complaint from students. It places tutors in a double bind, which is not conducive to keeping the employee. You need to do more to show appreciation to dedicated tutors.

"Tutor II --English/Writing"

Current Employee - Tutor II English/Writing in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Tutor II English/Writing in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The flexible schedule is incredibly nice, and the pay for working from home is not bad. I get better pay tutoring here than I would get doing a part time service job. It's also extremely rewarding to work with students. Mentors and management are fairly easy to talk to and always show cool heads when something comes up. Many online companies do not seem to have a personal touch, but in five years, I have never had a bad email/phone exchange.

Cons

Hours are possible to get, but you have to sign up and vie for hours in a rush. Work is also not steady throughout the year. Winter break and summer break are rather slow, but both have improved greatly as tutor.com has expanded services over the past three years. I used to twiddle my thumbs all day during the summer to get even two hours a day, but now I can get four hours and just work on something else while floating (waiting) for a student.

"tutor"

I worked at Tutor.com part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work in the comfort of your home.
    Very understanding management. Very kind.

Cons

Follows the school year in terms of busy times.

"English tutor"

Current Employee - English Tutor in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - English Tutor in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-I enjoy helping students with their writing
    -the flexibility is great
    -the more subjects you can tutor, the easier it is to get the maximum amount of hours

Cons

-you have to balance adhering to the company's expectations and pleasing the student, because student reviews help or hinder your chances of promotion
    -there is a cap of 28 hours per week
    -the pay is decent, but could be better

Advice to Management

Increase the weekly cap of hours so quality tutors can work more.