Tyler Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 19, 2017

2.9

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tyler Technologies (Renton, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Consisted of an on site technical screening (a written test on OOP and some SQL), followed by a 30 minute non-technical interview. The non-technical interview was with 2 people and was pretty casual.

Interview Questions

• Techincal: write a method to create a binary tree from a sorted input array. Try to limit the height of the tree.

Personal: Why do you think sets you apart from the other canidates looking for an internship here?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tyler Technologies (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Started off with a phone interview. It was very simple. The in person interview consisted of two parts. Both where a mixture of technical questions and basic interview questions. Nothing too bad. Everyone was really nice and welcoming.

Human Resources Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tyler Technologies in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Received an invitation for a phone screen. Had 10 minute phone screen which gave brief overview of company and position. Was asked if I would be available the following week for an interview and that they'd reach out by the end of the week.

Didn't get a call about the in person interview for a few weeks despite clearing my schedule for the original suggested week.

Interview on site was a round robin style with 4 rounds. No true understanding for what HR does other than assist with recruitment. It was evident in the questions and condescending attitude given.

Walked away feeling insulted to say the least.

Was given a rejection the next day. Was clearly not going to be a good fit for me, so no loss to me.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Tyler Technologies (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

I got invited to a technical screening test which was about a 7 page test with some coding, programming concepts, and a little bit of database stuff. After this I had a one-on-one casual interview in which I just talked about myself a little bit. After they said they would contact me by a certain date, I never heard from them so I followed up and they replied saying I am moving on to the final round which was a video interview where they asked me all about myself, my resume, and my experience with two hiring managers. They said I would hear back either way on a certain date and I never heard back even after following up.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to insert a sorted array into a binary tree, try to make the tree as balanced as possible (if you can, not required).   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tyler Technologies.

Interview

Three interview system. Phone interview first, followed by a casual technical interview (done in either C# or Java, your choice) and finally a more traditional interview. Two of the three interviewers/recruiters were located in other states, so they tuned into the interview remotely.

Interview Questions

• What was one instance of adversity you faced from a co-worker and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pullman, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tyler Technologies (Pullman, WA) in January 2017.

Interview

I got the interview from talking to them at my University's career expo. They scheduled me a 4 hour block with which the interview would last for. When I got to the interview it was a group interview with about 10 other students and me. We had to take a 4 page test that asked questions about fundamentals of object oriented programming, and there were SQL questions. No actual code to write on the test. Then after the test there was a personal interview which was one on one with a recruiter. I did several whiteboards technical questions and talked a little about my expectations with them and theirs with me. It was a laid back interview process but the questions were a little challenging. All of the whiteboard questions required writing code.

Interview Questions

• Write a SQL command to create a new table called "Teaching Staff" and have the key value be the ID of the staff. The fields in the table are ID, LastName, FirstName   1 Answer

Implementation Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tyler Technologies (Rochester, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

The first call I had was just a brief discussion with the HR rep. She just wanted to get a feel for me (as I was a referral and did not officially apply). That was a very comfortable and relaxed call.
    The next step was a formal interview with the dept director and the HR rep which took around 30 minutes. The first part was generic: what drew your attention to Tyler, tell us about a time you failed, what was a challenge you overcame, etc. Then the HR rep left the call and there was an open discussion with the director. Here is where I lost a lot of interest in the role. This part felt extremely negative. He told me all the reasons the job would not be good: no client relationships, negative push back from clients, little feedback from installs, little room for creativity in the role. It was strange to me because I am already doing the same job, and find those pieces as a challenge and a drive to do better, not as a setback. He would also ask a question and then respond with his own answer as if he already knew what I'd say.
    The next day I was asked to move forward, and honestly I only did because it had been mentioned that I'd be offered 20k more than what I currently make.
    The next step was a presentation on the ACA. 10-15 minutes, with little instruction. This was clearly to see presentation style and how we could produce a solution without guidance. I felt as though my presentation was not my best work and honestly was not very proud of what I presented, yet I was praised for the effort I put in. I was told they had not yet seen such a well thought out project. This worried me as well, because it seemed like they set low standards for who they hired in.
    I was sent an offer the following day.

Interview Questions

• What is one weakness you have?   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Interview

The interview process lasted 3 days. I was referred by a friend and received an email the day that I sent in a resume. I scheduled a time slot for a behavioral interview for the next day. After the behavioral interview, I scheduled a time for a technical interview. The Technical interview lasted an hour and a half and considered of program analysis and problem solving intuition.

Interview Questions

• The Technical interview lasted an hour and a half and considered of program analysis and problem solving intuition.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Tyler Technologies.

Interview

7 hours of interviews with middle management. Personality testing. Run away. Please. It does not get better when you get the job. The interview should be your queue to just say no.

Interview Questions

• Asked my opinion of the personality test that they use to pigeon hole you. I said it was disturbing.   Answer Question

Software Support Specialist/Reports Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Tyler Technologies (Dayton, OH) in October 2016.

Interview

Long process where I was told many things that didn't happen. Phone, 3:1, 1:1: After phone screen, talked with managers and was given a SQL test. Was brought back to interview with HR. Format was informal and enjoyable at first. Managers and HR tried to sell me MANY times on the company. Was even told a hybrid position could be made for me. I was told at the final interview I would receive a call within a week and references would be called, so I told my references. I did not receive a call within a week, and references were not called. Two weeks later, I received an email that they were still interviewing candidates. A week and a half after that, I called HR, asked about my status, and I was told they would look into my status and get right back. They didn't do that either. A week later, I received the normal vague rejection email. I was denied feedback by my main interviewer. I would have given this a positive had they reached out within a week (as they promised) instead of making me wait an extra 3 weeks, and getting back to me about status (as they promised) instead of blowing off the request. If you decide to interview with them, make sure you know they move slower than a glacier, and take what they say with a large grain of salt.

Interview Questions

• The phone screen was basic. The test involved grouping and joins - a written SQL test. The first interview: What would your current manager say about you if we asked him/her? Long term goal? Lots of questions about handling stress - has to be stressful there with the amount of stress questions they asked. Third interview: Two straight hours of stuff like this: Team member you didn't get along with. What makes a strong team? How and who do I present to, reaction when pressed during presenting, who is my audience, how do I present to each audience, best team I've worked with and why, what kind of teammate are you, how often do you rely on your team... and so on.   Answer Question