U.S. Senate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 14, 2017

2.7

Senate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and was offered a phone interview about a week later. After the phone interview, I waited approximately two and a half weeks to receive an offer. The interview itself was with just one person, who asked me questions that ranged from relatively easy to very specific.

Staff Assistant Interview

Interview

There were three rounds of interviews. I met with progressively senior staffers. There was a strong preference to select someone from the state, which helped me. If you are interested in the Hill, start by looking at places you have a state connection to.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

The interviewer emailed me first and asked me when I could do a phone interview. She asked me when I could start, what days would work for me considering my academic schedule. She asked a few questions, hardest one was a time I made a mistake. At the end she asked if I had any questions and felt really dumb for not having any prepared, even though I suspected I would get asked that. The interviewer told me she'd get back to me by the end of the next week.

Video Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Chicago, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

Easiest interview I've ever had. Two phone interviews that in total lasted 15 minutes. We discussed the job requirements, a brief review of my background and some ideas I had about the position.

Staff Assistant Interview

Interview

The most challenging part is getting an interview, which usually stems from networking and hearing about openings via word of mouth. An interview is usually with a chief of staff or staff director, and then potentially the Member.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past internship experiences on the Hill.   Answer Question

Deputy Chief of Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

Went in, interviewed with Senator, got job. It was about a two week process, talked a lot with Chief of Staff prior to the interview. Overall, it was a pretty easy process.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of something that demonstrates your political acumen.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Boston, MA).

Interview

I originally submitted an online form as well as a cover letter, resume, and writing sample. I was also required to have someone send in a written recommendation letter.I was called back for an interview. The interview was only with one person and it lasted about 20 minutes. The whole process took about a week and half. Their response time was average.

Interview Questions

• Who inspires you?
      Why this particular Senator?
      What goals do you expect to meet by the end of this internship?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

The hiring process took 2 weeks from when I applied online to when I accepted the offer. I applied and then had an on site interview. The interview was straightforward and simple. Interning here was a great experience. Hard working staff, diversity in the office and in regards to the work interns can help with.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at U.S. Senate in June 2016.

Interview

short, 10 minutes max via phone. Basic questions, there were multiple people on the phone who interviewed me. Was a little worried it was so short, but ended up getting the job and only three questions were asked

Interview Questions

• What policy issues I stood for on a specific Congressman   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Senate in June 2016.

Interview

After submitting the application, I received a request for an interview a week later. The interview was conducted over the phone and lasted between 15-20 minutes. I didn't receive a response until 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself.
      They brought up my answer from the question 'What stances of the Senator do you disagree with' and asked for me to explain why I took those stances.   Answer Question