U.S. Senate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

Sort:

Congressional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in March 2014.

Interview

One phone interview after submitting application with recommendation. Received notice of the phone interview a few days before it was conducted, then had the call, and was notified of my acceptance a few days later. Had to run my background and application "by the Senator." Then had to submit to a background check.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What would you bring to the table?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They gave me a few days to consider the offer.

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in May 2018.

Interview

I applied for the job and was then contacted via email to set up an interview. The first interview was over the phone and after that they emailed me asking me to set up an in person interview. I met with a chief of staff for the second interview and was asked a series of questions related to note taking and policy analysis.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you took initiative and solved a problem   Answer Question

Speechwriter Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

It's all about who you know. Because I was well connected with someone politically, I felt the skids were greased beforehand. First round interview was on the phone with a chief of staff. The in-person interview was with the chief of staff and the principal. I felt I had already been vetted and approved and the in-person interview felt mostly pro forma.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I negotiated a bump in salary purely by bravado and luck

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and then received an email to schedule a phone interview. The interview lasted about 20 minutes. Then I received an email saying that I received the position.

Interview Questions

• What are some of Senator X's policies that you agree with? What are some of the policies that you disagree with? What are you passionate about?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied by sending cover letter and resume via email, then scheduled a short 20 minute phone interview about 3 weeks later. Interview was about 15 minutes long and was mostly education background and interest in the internship.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in July 2018.

Interview

Fairly easy interview process. They want to know why you chose to work there, what are your beliefs and values. Also, they need to know if you can handle the workload. Talk about the experience you've had with difficult customers, or mistakes you've made.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

The process took about 3 weeks overall. 2 weeks after submitting my application I was contacted via email for a phone interview, and then a week after that I received the internship offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something about yourself that's not on your resume.
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

The hiring process took 2 weeks from when I applied online to when I accepted the offer. I applied and then had an on site interview. The interview was straightforward and simple. Interning here was a great experience. Hard working staff, diversity in the office and in regards to the work interns can help with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Boston, MA).

Interview

I originally submitted an online form as well as a cover letter, resume, and writing sample. I was also required to have someone send in a written recommendation letter.I was called back for an interview. The interview was only with one person and it lasted about 20 minutes. The whole process took about a week and half. Their response time was average.

Interview Questions

• Who inspires you?
      Why this particular Senator?
      What goals do you expect to meet by the end of this internship?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in June 2012.

Interview

Very informal to very formal.

They usually have you apply by the middle of the summer, with a resume, cover letter and depending on the office, references, transcripts, and a photo. The interview process from my experience (two different internships) is usually done over the phone. I had a chance before my first internship to visit the Office as part of a delegation with my school program in DC. My supervisor was the one giving us the tour so we hit it right off and a month later he emailed me to tell me I was in--although a mutual friend of ours already had informed me I was a sure fit. The second internship came through networking; I was told by a colleague to pass my resume off to a specific office and a week later the legislative assistant called me for a brief phone interview. I was hired a week later.

Interview Questions

• Very basic. Know US politics and the Offices' positions.   Answer Question