US Coast Guard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

US Coast Guard Interview Questions

Interviews at US Coast Guard

2.4

Commander Interview

Interview

You don't really interview for positions unless it is a high visibility one (aide for an Admiral or SES). You submit your choice of jobs that are opened the year you rotate and an assignment officer takes your input, combined with the needs of the service and your record to determine where you get assigned.

Interview Questions

• Why should I hire you over other well qualified officers?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at US Coast Guard.

Interview

There is no interview. You sign up, pass the test and ship out to boot camp. Everything below is a best guess as to how these questions could be answered.

Enlisted Military Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at US Coast Guard (Portsmouth, VA).

Interview

Interview and hiring process included a very detailed criminal and historical background check, vocational aptitude testing and intelligence testing with minimum qualifying scores for different positions, and thorough medical exam. Process took several weeks to determine qualification, and then several more to actually depart for training.

Chief Warrant Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Coast Guard (Tampa, FL) in January 2019.

Interview

Based on work experience and time in rank. Some times favorites are chosen leaving little room for others. Interview was over the phone and they only asked pertinent question that related to the job.

Interview Questions

• What situations would you ground an aircraft for maintenance   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at US Coast Guard in December 2018.

Interview

Behavioral, standard STAR method, 2 military interviewers each asked questions round robin approximately 6-8 total. Expecting a potential offer. Interview conducted over the phone, had the choice to go in person.

Civilian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cape May, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at US Coast Guard (Cape May, NJ).

Interview

Panel of three. Traditionally panels were larger. Sixty minutes was allotted thought less time was needed. Interviewer had questions that could not be answered during interview. Follow up was promised at conclusion and that was acceptable.

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at US Coast Guard (Baltimore, MD) in November 2018.

Interview

I applied on USA jobs and was referred. Then a couple weeks later I was called for a phone interview. It was a panel interview with three people asking questions.

Interview Questions

• What experience qualifies you for this position?   1 Answer
    • What experience do you have reviewing documents? How do you decide what information to include?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had with a difficult customer and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you weren’t able to meet a deadline and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you didn’t know what to do and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • How do you decide what task takes priority?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you presented a new idea and what steps did you take?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if someone didn’t perform up to the contract standards?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you went the extra mile and why?   Answer Question
    • What is your knowledge of the FAR?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any questions for us?   Answer Question

AMT2 Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at US Coast Guard.

Interview

walked into a Coast Guard recruiting office, met with a member of coast guard, discussed my ASVAB score (which was above average). after talking story for a while, he talked to me about boot camp and possible career fields (tried to get me into aviation immediately, but declined for a reason i do not recall).

Interview Questions

• how did you hear about the coast guard?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at US Coast Guard.

Interview

The interview was scheduled via email. Most applicants were interviewed via phone. During the interview there were several people on the panel. It appears that some were active duty military and some were civilian employees.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you had a difficult customer and how you handled them.   Answer Question

Logistics Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at US Coast Guard (Washington, DC) in March 2018.

Interview

Formal resume submission and interview process through USA Jobs. Single stage interview with formal warnings and questions. Interview was conducted by a panel with varied but relevant experience to the job. After formal questions there was an opportunity to ask questions of my own.

Interview Questions

• How is risk analyzed and tracked   1 Answer