USG Interview Questions | Glassdoor

USG Interview Questions

Updated Oct 23, 2017

2.6

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at USG in September 2017.

Interview

On campus interview followed by phone interviews with HR and then the site manager. Each interview was about an hour. They seemed genuinely interested in finding the right place for me to go and providing me with valuable experience.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at USG.

Interview

Overall very straightforward and pleasant phone interview. Recruiter spoke casually and honestly while still asking a lot of the right hard hitting questions. Didn't realize phone interview was last component of the process until I got offer the next week

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at USG (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

it was general questions about my resume. i applied through school and i got the first interview a week later. i had the screen interview with hr then i had phone interview with engineering manger of the plant

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at USG.

Interview

Applied for an interview through my university's career services. I was interviewed by 2 men, one older and a younger guy. HR called me a week later telling me I made it past the first round and then set-up a phone interview with the plant manager of the location I picked. Phone call was barely an interview, very casual like talking to a friend. Notified a few days later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you showed initiative.   Answer Question
    • What is your best quality?   Answer Question
    • What can you offer to our company in terms of skills or qualities that you possess?   Answer Question
    • Asked about my previous work experience e.g. what kinds of projects I worked on.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at USG in April 2017.

Interview

Applied through my University's career services and had an interview on campus with a plant manager. A week later I got a phone call from a corporate recruiter to set up a phone interview with a specific plant manager where my co-op would take place. I was initially denied an offer at first, but my recruiter gave me another opportunity to interview at another plant. Two days later, I got set up with panel phone interview (more like a discussion with 3 engineers) at a different plant. Next day I was offered a co-op on the basis that I passed a hair drug test and background check. Some interview questions were tailored to my work experience and not necessarily "cookie cutter" behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• What type of people irk you?   Answer Question
    • Why USG and what do you know about USG?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable working in a project/processing engineering role?   Answer Question
    • What makes you stand out from the other candidates we are interviewing?   Answer Question
    • When you are not studying or working, what types of activities do you enjoy?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any experience with implementing workplace safety?   Answer Question
    • What is your dream job? Follow up question: Do you see yourself as a plant manager or corporate manager?   Answer Question
    • Why did you choose chemical engineering?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you failed at something and how you responded?   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at USG in March 2017.

Interview

First had phone screens from two recruiters, then an on-site interview was scheduled about a month after the screening. Met with about 10 people from the company, and each interview was 30 min (the whole process was about 5 hrs). One panel discussion with two researchers, one with HR, and the others with directors of different R&D segments.

Plant Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at USG (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

Was interviewed at a job fair at my college. Within a week received an email telling me that USG would like to "take the next step". I was asked about job location prefernces and I gave broad geographic preferences. Within a few days I received a call that they would like to send my resume to a specific plant and asked if that would be ok. I took the plant tour which seemed like a process to make sure I would fit in the company.

Any Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at USG.

Interview

Met with general formen he asked a few questons about my hobbies and intrests, showed me what id be doing and asked if i would be interested.i accepted and started work few days later.

Interview Questions

• What kinda of safety did your other job have   1 Answer

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at USG in October 2016.

Interview

Had an interview with the factory leader. He asked me very personal questions and did not ask anything technical. During the interview he was grading my responses on a scaled sheet.

Project Engineer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Chicago, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at USG (East Chicago, IN).

Interview

Submitted online application after speaking with a booth at a university career fair. Then phone interview of about 20 minutes with standard questions. Interview at plant location with various department heads (1 full day).

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a problem you have solved, and state any issues and how you addressed them.   Answer Question