Uncommon Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Uncommon Schools Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2017

Associate Director of Development Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools.

Interview

I applied online and the next day received an email from a recruiter asking to respond 3 additional questions. After completing the questionnaire I received an email from the recruiter, who wanted to set a phone interview a week later. The phone interview was adequate and recruiter asked typical interview questions. I was told to wait an additional week for an update on the application process. Exactly one week later I received an email saying that I was not considered for the position. The process took two weeks.

Interview Questions

• 1. Why are you interested in Uncommon Schools?
      2. Tell me about your work experiences   1 Answer

Associate Director of Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

The process took about a month. I had a 30 minute phone interview and two in-person interviews. The first in-person was about 2.5 hours that tested your skill level (excel, word, efficiency) along with a verbal interview with two team members. The second in person interview was about an hour long and was interviewed by two team members as well. Overall, this was a good experience. The team seemed really nice and the recruiter was super helpful and transparent. I was not offered a position but this was a good experience nonetheless.

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dorchester, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (Dorchester, MA) in August 2017.

Interview

I was interviewed on the phone and then they had me come in at 5 pm the following week. The whole process seemed like an overkill for a position that capped out at 45k year after overtime. The hourly rate before overtime was only 16.50. When that was revealed to me I was still enthusiastic, because I assumed it was just how charters were . After the interview I had found an article in the globe from last month that said their managing director in Boston makes over 236k a year... that gave me an accurate visual of what the pecking order would be like and made me heavily reconsider my wanting to apply there. I decided later on if they called me back to interview again I would have said no, or if they had made an offer I'd have declined. I had a feeling I was not going to be offered the role because they wanted someone bilingual in Spanish and I was not. They don't even offer tuition assistance like I previously assumed so the low wage would not even out with many perks.
    I know people make personal and financial sacrifices for charter school success but it should not only be on the backs of the people at the bottom rungs of the ladder. Come on now. The salary disparities should not be so blatantly insulting, but at least they disclosed it at that point.
    They asked that you bring a laptop from home for the test and they leave you in a classroom for an hour.
    The skills test was simple enough, they made you rate things in order of priority and explain why you chose it. Then they made you type a letter to parents about parent teacher conference times. You need to insert a grid inside the memo to have them select the appropriate time to come in.
    Finally, they asked you to do averages of a list of students' grades and sort the spreadsheet based on the grade values. The way they word it is tricky though. They mislead you into thinking you need to re group the students by final averages but in reality they want 2 new spreadsheets created based on the grades before the averages. It was good interview practice, but it was very much not a good fit on both sides.
    Afterward, they emailed me a survey for feedback to let me know that another candidate was chosen. They tell you the survey is anonymous but it prompts you to enter your name before taking it.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools.

Interview

Applied online and got a reply the following day. I was given a lesson plan which I had 15 mins to prepare to present. Got a content test after and I also did a traditional sit down interview.

Middle School Math Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camden, NJ

Interview

After having a phone interview the next I was asked to perform a demo lesson. They provide the lesson for you. They just ask that you internalize it and have it memorized.

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (Brooklyn, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview was quite short and straightforward. I applied online, contacted by recruiter within a week. Phone interview lasted about 15 minutes. Shortly after I received an email inviting me to do a demo and then meet for a formal interview with the principal and another associate recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to work at Uncommon Schools?
      How did you hear about Uncommon Schools?
      Describe a time you've received feedback?
      What do you think went well in your lesson?
      What would you have changed in your lesson?   Answer Question

Relay Resident Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (Jersey City, NJ) in July 2017.

Interview

I was asked to attend a Professional Development "institute for a week prior 2hrs in the evening, That was an amazing expereince. Some may view Uncommon as very militant, but it think its necessary when working with the students. I had an interview with one of the principals of their schools.
    * You must prepare to present a lesson plan they will provide
    * when you get there you will be tested on the materiasl for the grade/subject you will be teaching
    *Its important to look over the videoes to know what yuou're gettin yourself into, yuou have too be on your toes.
    * you must incorporate their strategies of urgency in the lesson to keep students attention. and the manner in which they direct and expect student to meet their expectations and standards (standing in line, eyes on teacher, asking students to repeat info multiple times to assure they understand it, greeting students at the door, providing expectations, seeking compliance etc.)
    *The principal will then debrief tell you what you should work on and you will have to do it over to meet that expectation/requirement.
    *you will receive email notification telling you whether the principal wants to work with you or not.

Interview Questions

• *What do you want to be an educator?
      *What brought you to uncommon schools?
      *From a scale of (1-10 one being kind 10 being strict) Are you ok with being required to being a 10 when you start out ?   Answer Question

Associate Director of Development Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online for a different role initially and was contacted by a recruiter who expressed interest in having me interview for a role that was much more in line with my skill set. She scheduled an initial phone screen which went really well and then followed up a week later with a skills-based test. The test included a writing sample scenario and a prioritization task. Be prepared for this test! It is timed and felt very much like a real project with a deadline. While I was not moved forward, I cannot say enough good things about the interview process at Uncommon Schools. I was very impressed and happy with my experience throughout the process. The recruiter was extremely organized, timely, courteous, and supportive throughout every stage. She clearly communicated and followed up during each step. I felt like my time and the work I put into the interview was valued. Other organizations can learn a great deal from their approach.

Interview Questions

• What interests you in Uncommon Schools and this particular position?   1 Answer

School Social Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

I applied online and was contacted the following day to come in for an interview. I waoted almost 3 hours to meet with the recruiter only to be told that 2 of the SSW positions were filled and that it's likely the 3rd one is as well. He suggested that I go for another position (that makes less and not in alignment with what I want to do). That was the such a disheartening experience and a waste of time..

Teacher Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied through an referral from a friend who works with the school. A few days after giving in my resume I received a email for a phone interview. Promptly I responded and had my phone interview the very same day, then the next day I was called into for a face to face interview where I had to conduct a lesson given to me as well as take a content test. The principal was super nice, gave me helpful feedback and two hours after my interview I received the offer.