Universal Instruments Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Universal Instruments Interview Questions

Updated Oct 29, 2017

2.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Universal Instruments.

Interview

After a career fair, I was contacted by HR. Very detail questions about your resume. The hiring managers were nice. Much long time from interview to notification. It almost took 1 month, I do not receive their decision. So may be the rejection is on the way.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conklin, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Universal Instruments (Conklin, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

I got a call after attending the job fair to attend a onsite interview the next day. There was 4 rounds 2 electrical engineers and 2 software engineer. Only resume based questions were asked. The electrical manager give a set of few quizzes on Flip-flips(draw waveforms), Bridge rectifier, Diode analysis, Op-amp. It was not that difficult if you remember your basics which was old school.
    I got a rejection within a week after attending onsite interview.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conklin, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Universal Instruments (Conklin, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

First attended a job fair and submitted my resume and explained a little bit about myself.

Called for interview 2 weeks later on-site, 120 mins duration 30 mins each with 3 different people. Mostly behavioral questions and talked about their company and asked one programming question about Strings - Reverse the letters within a string without changing words. Took 2 months to give their decision. They don't hire international students. Huge waste of time!

Electrical Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Binghamton, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Universal Instruments (Binghamton, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Met with 3 engineers and the HR Recruiter. Talked and Interviewed with all of them and also had a technical quiz on various things like Digital Logic and Circuits/electronics. Wasn't that hard but you should look over old work you've done in College. Overall it was a nice experience because I got a good factory tour and discussion with the Electrical Engineering Manager.

Research/Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Binghamton, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Universal Instruments (Binghamton, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview consisted of 2-3 hours of factory tour/discussion on site, little discussion of skills, more focus on knowledge and expertise. Sometimes it was 1 on 1, other times additional individuals joined. I was already familiar with the company. PhD seemed very important. There were no outside the box questions. Waited weeks to hear decision.

Interview Questions

• What was I an expert regarding? How did I see the company perceived in the industry?   Answer Question

Product Trainer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Conklin, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Universal Instruments (Conklin, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I got a tour of the facilities and then interviewed with eight employees from different departments for half an hour each, spread out over three onsite visits. I only applied for the product trainer position, but I was vetted for an engineering position as well. The best part of the interview process was the tour. I got to see employees at work and got a feel for the work environment.

Mechanical Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Universal Instruments (Rochester, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

I discovered the job opportunity through my university's careers website. I applied online and received a phone call 15 minutes later from a manager interested in interviewing me. We spoke briefly and arranged an in-person interview later that week. On the day of the interview, I was met in the lobby by the manager who had spoken to me on the phone. I was conducted on a tour of the facility, and was asked various technical questions about parts that the manager selected at random from bins around the facility. I then had three (3) half-hour interviews with different members of the engineering team.

Interview Questions

• You might have to interact with union workers on the production floor. Say, for example, you find yourself in a situation where you are discussing an issue and you know you are right and your coworker is wrong. How would you approach this situation?   1 Answer
    • I see that you designed a thermal slip joint on your last co-op. Can you sketch that out for me and explain how it works?   1 Answer

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conklin, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Universal Instruments (Conklin, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

Much too long from interview to notification. Multiple interviewers. Very detailed re the process but not trying to trick you. Somewhat vague on next steps.Did not provide info re career steps.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions. Nothing out of ordinary   1 Answer

Had accepted another job

Software Engineer Coop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conklin, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Universal Instruments (Conklin, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

Phone interview mostly related to previous work experience. Were mostly interested in vision related projects. Candidates selected purely on basis of projects and availability. 4-5 people during phone interview. Called for 2nd interview in their HQ at Conklin, NY. A purely electronics based company. 5 interviewers interviewed for 30 mins each, asking HR questions and more about project work.

Interview Questions

• A lot of HR questions and most of the 5 interviewers asked the same question.   Answer Question

Software Developer is the position they wanted to hire me for but wanted me to develop GUI and write machine level code. Not relevant to what I was looking for.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Conklin, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Universal Instruments (Conklin, NY).

Interview

Contacted by a Senior Manager. Arranged for phone interview, followed by an on-site interview with several senior staff. A presentation was demanded, but only the hiring manger attended. The hiring manager was satisfied and then asked for a repeat presentation with more people. A second round table interview was arranged at a later date. I was given a tour of the facility and generally impressed by the appearance and professionalism of the HR staff at the time. Since then 3 VPs of HR have resigned, and, you can't judge a book by its cover.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions were asked. The hiring manager simply wanted to talk about themselves most of the time.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated for term that once I was employed never materialized after 5 years. The lack of compliance to verbal promisses left me bitter, angry and dissatisfied. I eventually left.