University of British Columbia Interview Questions | Glassdoor

University of British Columbia Interview Questions

Updated Mar 5, 2017

2.6

Laboratory Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at University of British Columbia.

Interview

I was interviewed by a panel of 3 scientist. I was asked a series of technical questions related to the research project. I was asked to give a detailed explanation of PCR, qPCR etc.. The usual behavioral questions were also brought up...give an example of a challenge you overcame etc.. Fairly easy overall.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a mistake that you made and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Another job offer was more appealing.

Interview

Emailed the prof 4 times without any responses! Got contacted by the prof after the 5th email! It mostly depends on if the prof has funding to hire grad students! If you think you are a good match keep emailing. or maybe call the prof.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

I was interviewed in person after a scrrening of my CV, but a skype interview it was also possible. They asked me to talk about my previous research experience and my future idea. I present my work to the group.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to present my job to the research group 3 days before   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at University of British Columbia.

Interview

Applied online as a new grad and waited for about a month to get further notice on the application process. The interview itself is just like a casual conversation with the on-site managers.

Student Info Support Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at University of British Columbia in September 2016.

Interview

It was a panel interview with the school director, administrator, and 3 chairperson. About 9 questions were asked and I felt unprepared for all questions, probably because it was my first interview with such a big university.

Each person asked about one to two questions. Most of the questions are behavioural questions. The school administrator was in charge of HR and therefore questions from that person were more challenging.

Questions were both practical and behavioural.

Interview Questions

• What would you do to keep work confidentiality if you are working in an environment that is not private?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at University of British Columbia.

Interview

Interview process is based on your documents during your application. Each department has their own admission group to evaluate the applications. While your applications is being evaluated they take a look at your GPA from your previous academic institution, academic experience, work experience, your ability to do your research (based on your journals or conference papers), recommendation letters and your statement of purpose letter.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your research motivations and your academic goals in the future.   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in August 2016.

Interview

I walked into a room with the interviewer, who turned out to be my supervisor and the one I addressed the cover letter to. All questions related directly to the job, in addition to some typical human resources questions. A few questions also related to technical things about the specific group within UBC, but nothing 15 minutes of research wouldn't tell you.

Interview Questions

• What do you think could be improved about <this aspect of UBC>?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you disagreed with your teammates.   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of British Columbia (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Phone interview and a pre-screening. Sent me an email requesting a phone time for a few quick questions for a short-list process. Asked me why at this point I'm applying for the job and asked me how I would qualify for this job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about how you would qualify for this job   1 Answer

Call Centre Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was quite quick, you simply submit a resume and cover letter to UBC, and then they may or may not call for an interview, and you go from there. However, for the call centre jobs, they experience a lot of turnover, and therefore a quick interview is to be expected. At the interview, a student who already works there will determine if you are good enough for the job, through asking you a few questions about experience. They will then ask some what-if questions to determine your personality, and then it moves on from there. However, once hired, you are placed on probation, in which the supervisors will observe you to determine how good you are. This determination is basically also part of the interview process, for if they determine you aren't good, they won't continue to keep you on the team.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if somebody called and said they didn't want to support UBC due to their children not getting into UBC?   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

3 hour interview, was long, easy, simple, didn't get to meeting every hiring person, still calm and no too intimidating at all, had to plan what a day in life as a tour guide would be in vancouver