Upwork Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Upwork Interview Questions

Updated Oct 6, 2017

2.5

Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Upwork.

Interview

BIG WASTE OF TIME! DON'T DO IT!

You are asked to fill out a very complex profile including taking tests and building a portfolio. When you finally submit, you are immediately rejected by a bot. No human reviewed anything about my application, it happened way to fast.

At the same time they are telling me they have hundreds of jobs requiring my skill set. I have tried to contact someone there for support, but when you try to reach support it just sends you to FAQ pages. You cannot speak to a human. You also cannot post a question to community forums if you are not approved.

I'm absolutely certain I meet the appropriate criteria. I'm a published author of both print and digital, with literally hundreds of articles under my belt.

Oh, and there's one other thing that makes them seem really illegitimate. If you bring them a client that wants to hire you, you are automatically approved. So therefore, if you will make them money, your fine, even if you aren't qualified for anything. Basically, it seems they are getting new business via their job applicants. How scammy is that?

Interview Questions

• They make you fill out a complex profile, build a portfolio, and want you to take tests.   1 Answer

Mediation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Upwork (Dallas, TX).

Interview

They make you believe you are getting the job and tell you to standby for the final offer email but it will never come, not even a denial. Good thing I had another job for backup but if I didn't I would still be waiting to hear from them. The interview is laid back, ask a lot of scenario questions and ask you what skills are a priority for dealing with the mediation process. It was a virtual interview through google hangouts.

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Upwork (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Few quick steps. Phone interview, phone interview, in-person.
    Recruiter will reach out for an initial conversation, next steps are with SDR director for phone and in-person interviews. It is helpful to know the trends of the workforce and any experience in staffing, HR, talent acquisition, or recruiting are extremely helpful.

Interview Questions

• Typical experience questions, what do you do for fun, why do you want to work for Upwork, what do you know about Upwork, etc.   1 Answer

Executive Coordinator Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Upwork.

Interview

First phone interview was with the Recruiting Manager I believe. It was brief but it went very well. She passed me on to my second phone interview/screening.

Second interview was with the current EA support. Same as the first interview it was very casual and went very well! She then set me up for my onsite interviews.

My first interview was with the person that I would be supporting - VP of Engineering. It was a pretty casual conversation. Normal questions for a support role. It overall it felt like a great conversation. Flowed very well.

Next interview was with HR manager I believe? She was really nice. She seemed really impressed and listened to everything I had to say and agreed.

Next was the Chief of Staff which works closely to the VP of Engineering. When she came in, she was a little stern, almost drilling questions. I did a little bit of role play as well. Conversation and interview went very well with her. She lightened up a little bit and actually smiled (being very stern in the beginning). Sounding confident that I can assist with some of her roles

Last was with the current EA. It was really brief. She asked me why Upwork. I let her know my answer and she agreed that I have the skills. She talked about how the other VP she worked closer with than the other. She promptly ended our interview around 5, saying they had me there until 6pm and didn't want to keep me there. I was very confused because I thought the interview with everyone went sooo well and I usually can tell how my interviews are going. I asked for feedback and she mentioned it was important to have EA's and their executives mesh, so it may have been something that clicked with the first interviewer (VP). I am honestly not sure what it could be. It feels like it may have been something more personal than professional because all of my interviews went to well. I was very confident of how it went and I could guarantee that the others loved me but I'm not sure if they were given the chance to provide any feedback.

I left completely shocked because I know the interviews went very well. I even kept in mind how the recruiters described the VP but I thought he was fine because he was very nice and our conversation went well. It may have been something he was looking for that he didn't see, or something specific he didn't like and made a quick decision without thinking twice. The others didn't even have a chance to say how their interviews went.

I left completely confused and a little angry because I know I interviewed very well and had the skills. The VP likely was looking for something specific or had a personal judgement on me.

Interview Questions

Upwork Response

Jun 23, 2017 – VP, HR

Hi there, Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review. I was one of the people you interviewed with and I am very sorry that the way the interview ended left you feeling this way. That... More

Web Research Expert Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Upwork (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

there interview was conducted via email. Hey, I am possibly interested in working with you. How fast will you be able to start working on this project? and will you be able to complete it by tomorrow? Let me know. Thank you.
    Can you let me know regarding my questions?

Mediation Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Upwork in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. They low-balled me and clearly don't place a lot of importance on these roles as they only pay $12 an hour.

The recruiter sent me a one sided video interview, and then from there three interviews were set up via google hangout. I had issues with the hangout working properly, so I emailed the recruiter within 5-10 minutes from the interview start time.

About 30-40 minutes later, I got an email that my Upwork account was suspended and reported as a fraudulent profile. In the year I've used this site, the majority of the jobs I've dealt with were spam anyways. In order to unlock my account, they wanted a scanned image of an ID and/or passport. No thanks...closed my account.

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Upwork (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

1st - Phone interview with Recruiter (Short)

2nd - Phone interview with VP of Sales ( About 30 minutes, friendly guy, no bs with him )

3rd - Onsite interview with 4 different people

1st interview: Sales Manager Karen
    2nd interview: Account Executive with a guy named Brian
    3rd interview: Sales Development Rep
    4th interview: VP of Sales

Ghostwriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Upwork (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I was offered this job. I needed to agree to the terms of the job, which was a long term ghostwriting job. I agreed to the price of each type of article/ebook that I would be doing, which were all a flat rate.

Interview Questions

• Would you accept the price of each article being seven dollars?   Answer Question

User Experience Design Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Upwork.

Interview

Applied online and got email from the recruiter. Passed the interview screening, schedule on a day that I was super busy, the hiring manager did not call me. 20 mins after I received an email from the recruiting saying that they already found someone else and would therefore cancel the interview...

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Upwork (Mountain View, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

The whole process took roughly about a month. The HR I was in contact with,kept me up to date with any new developments. I had 5 levels of interviews. The first one was a phone screen where I was asked to solve two algorithms(On Google Hangouts) and a few questions on Data Structures. A week after this, I had the on-site. Here for all the 4 interviews , I was asked to solve an algorithm/ fix a bug in code, a few questions on Javascript , HTML and CSS.
    I got a call from the company, two hours after my onsite that I got the job :)