Upwork Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 22, 2017

2.5

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Upwork (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

1st - Phone interview with Recruiter (Short)

2nd - Phone interview with VP of Sales ( About 30 minutes, friendly guy, no bs with him )

3rd - Onsite interview with 4 different people

1st interview: Sales Manager Karen
    2nd interview: Account Executive with a guy named Brian
    3rd interview: Sales Development Rep
    4th interview: VP of Sales

User Experience Design Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Upwork.

Interview

Applied online and got email from the recruiter. Passed the interview screening, schedule on a day that I was super busy, the hiring manager did not call me. 20 mins after I received an email from the recruiting saying that they already found someone else and would therefore cancel the interview...

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Upwork (Mountain View, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

The whole process took roughly about a month. The HR I was in contact with,kept me up to date with any new developments. I had 5 levels of interviews. The first one was a phone screen where I was asked to solve two algorithms(On Google Hangouts) and a few questions on Data Structures. A week after this, I had the on-site. Here for all the 4 interviews , I was asked to solve an algorithm/ fix a bug in code, a few questions on Javascript , HTML and CSS.
    I got a call from the company, two hours after my onsite that I got the job :)

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Upwork (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

First a recruiter call, explaining the process and team etc. Then a technical phone screen with the director. Straightforward algorithmic question, not too fancy. After a week, was invited onsite with 5 interviews including 1 with the VP of the product.

The first 3 interviews with the team were sensible and the interviewers were very helpful and nice. The 4th interview was with the lead of the team and man, I am glad i did not get this offer. A very hard personality to work with. Who conducts an interview with a bunch of sheets in hand and questions from that? This is not 1980 for God's sake! Questions were mostly around bookish data and facts that could be answered easily using Google in a second (Eg, tell me the unix command for so and so.). After a couple of questions, I lost the interest completely to work there!

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Upwork (Denver, CO) in June 2016.

Interview

Never been through or even heard of a longer or more unprofessional interview process. The entire process took exactly nine weeks. I met with the manager, team, and senior management in person and via Google Hangouts. The team members were really great, but the management and those who were controlling the hiring process were beyond unprofessional and inconsiderate. To say they strung me along would be an understatement, and it's clear they had no respect for my time because the timeline of the decision changed four times and actually in the end there was no timeline. Was told the probability of getting an offer was "very high" after the manager was out for two weeks on vacation and during this conversation we discussed compensation, start date, benefits, etc.. Then, priorities suddenly changed, and another candidate was being considered but I was told this person might not even be interested in the role I was interviewing for, but if so there was an opportunity potentially for two hires to be made. Was kept completely in the dark after that point, eight weeks into the process, and was not informed that they had moved forward with the other candidate until I reached out to the recruiter after not getting any information the week prior. I did not know that there would be a decision made between myself and the other candidate, or that things had changed so much from the three weeks prior when we discussed my offer. The recruiter was truly not to blame for the unprofessionalism in this process, as I believe she had very little control over the situation and was on vacation herself when these changes suddenly happened. The recruiter actually told me that she had arranged everything for me to get the offer when she was out to ensure the process would not be slowed down by her vacation time, and I am appreciative of that.

I would be really hesitant about interviewing with Upwork, as it is quite obvious what type of company it is given how little respect they had for me, my time, and my personal situation during the interview process despite my unwavering enthusiasm and dedication. The vacations and time off were already a red flag, but actually if it were not for their extended and prevalent vacations, I would probably had received an offer many weeks ago. Yet things changed, they were extremely slow, they were not transparent, and didn't let me know that there was a possibility I would not be getting an offer after telling me the probability was "very high". When the timeline kept changing, I kept getting more worried about what type of company this was, but tried to remain optimistic. Truly, this is a blessing because I do not ever want to work with people who are comfortable being so terrible to a candidate that has been so excited about the company for two months. I actually was so high on Upwork because the mission of the company is really amazing, but wow this is just insanely messed up for many reasons. I was not working this entire process, and their unprofessionalism and lack of consideration has negatively impacted my life and my livelihood immensely.

My advice - if you're going to interview for this company, ensure you make them stick to a timeline, do not believe what they say, and ensure you're exploring other opportunities in parallel.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you turned around an unsatisfied client.   Answer Question

Upwork Response

Aug 17, 2016 – VP, HR

Thank you for your feedback on your interview experience with Upwork. We are disappointed that your interactions with us left such a negative impression. While we strive to expedite the hiring for ... More

Virtual Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Upwork (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Interview is mostly conducted through Skype or Up-work messenger. Clients are very professional and always ask relevant questions. If you are experienced in your field, interview is something you shouldn't be scared of. Mostly audio interviews are conducted but video interviews are done in some cases.

Engineering Interview

Interview

I'm not a recruiter, but even the most basic of concepts (clear interview funnels, introduction to company, being clear to the candidate) were things that the recruiting team clearly had no idea about.

It was obvious that the two departments (engi & recruiting) operated entirely independently. Oddly enough, as the candidate being interviewed, you have to be the one to follow up with each team. You can to facilitate the communication between recruiting and the team that you are interviewing with, which is a first for me.

Backed out of the offer right away once I got this vibe.

The most basic of things a candidate can ask, like "what are the next steps?" should be easy to answer. These are honest questions for us, after all as candidates looking for a position.

Lazily written emails full of typos, obviously sent off in a rush, last minute cancellations for interview times, constant rescheduling.

Data Analysis Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Upwork in May 2016.

Interview

After applying online, I got a phone interview after a few weeks. It was short (30 min) explaining what UpWork does and what the job entitled. She asked some questions about my background and how it would match the expectations of the internship.
    After two weeks I didn't hear back and decided to email the HR manager, that was communicating with me, about next steps. A few days later she responded with scheduling an interview with four managers at their Mountain View office. Super cool office with a front end assistant through a tablet. Very futuristic!
    30 min for each interview and each interviewer covered different aspects of my background and knowledge that was relevant to their interest. Got to do some brainstorming of problem solving and was asked how I would handle a specific task or client. Great and enthusiastic people.

Interview Questions

• When given a large amount of qualitative data from surveys, what are your steps of how to analyze it?   Answer Question
    • What are three things you hope to get from this internship?   Answer Question
    • If you could choose any program, website, or app that you use a lot and change or add something to it, what would it be and why?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Upwork (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied through college / university. I received a response about a week, and the interview was held in a week after that. First up was the technical interview, which I did through Google Hangouts. Very standard, asked to talk about myself, to explain my projects, and then came the technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Given a string of parantheses, determine if the left and right pairs are balanced.
      ie: (()) is balanced, but ())( is not
      1 Answer
    • Given an unsorted terabyte of strings, count the number of unique strings.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Upwork.

Interview

I applied online and got contacted by the recruiter maybe after a week. She was very interested in my background, and mostly talked about the role and salary. She was concerned that my expected salary is above their range and already started negotiations on the salary in the first 5 minutes of my interview.. I guess Upwork in not in a position that can invest a lot in adding new members to their team, which is a negative sign.