KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 241 of over 264 reviews

4.2
Upwork President and CEO Hayden Brown
Hayden Brown

What people are saying about Upwork

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Go ask these people what they felt about Upwork culture and the current leadership there.(in 9 reviews)
  • "In fact you are wasting your time as long as you are not working for a company with ambitions, decent management and well(in 7 reviews)
  • "They give low compensation and low salary(in 5 reviews)
  • "Favoritism was big at Upwork.(in 4 reviews)
  • "None at this moment, maybe no bonuses.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Upwork and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Exactly what I was looking for in my career move!

Jan 13, 2022 - Enterprise Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everything about Upwork makes me excited to wake up and come to work every day (even if it's from my home office!). The people, the energy, resources, culture, training, it is all unmatched and beyond extraordinary compared to my previous experience. On the sales side, you go through a sales training for your first month which is awesome. There is a team specifically dedicated to sales enablement and success and Upwork really puts their time and resources into ensuring their employees are taken care of in all aspects. All of the leadership is just so cool. That sounds funny to say, but they really hit the ball out of the park with the leadership team. They are diverse, well tenured, smart, outgoing, approachable and I'm excited for the opportunity to learn from them.

Cons

The only downside to Upwork is they aren't actually able to hire in every state and I'm not sure why. It is the first I've ever heard of this but it limits the talent you can refer to the company.

Upwork Response

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. So happy to hear that you are so excited about Upwork’s benefits, culture and leadership! It is true that we only hire corporate team members in certain states, but we have a large number of contract positions available (on our career site!) which enables us to bring our mission to life. Please feel free to Slack or email HR if you have any other feedback. - Upwork HR

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good

May 15, 2022 - Social Media Specialist in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice teamwork for me in Upwork based on experience

Cons

I don't think have a bad experience work in Upwork

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing team to work for

Apr 29, 2022 - Sales Operations Manager in Palatine, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Incredible team and people to work for -Amazing culture. People are inclusive and genuinely want to help each other succeed -Strong mission of bringing economic opportunity to people across the globe -Growing, winning teams -Great WFH environment with support to help people stay connected -Best onboarding program I've ever seen -Great benefits!

Cons

Like any rapidly growing team, Upwork is moving very fast and everyone is working hard to scale for growth. People who dislike change may struggle. However the leadership team is very transparent about helping people understand the direction and the changes that are going on.

1 person found this review helpful

Upwork Response

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave this review! We are so glad to hear all of your positive feedback surrounding Upwork's benefits and culture. Agree that we are a very high-growth environment and a certain amount of change comes with that, but as you said we do strive for a culture of transparency. If there is any other feedback you'd like to share, please don't hesitate to reach out to HR via email or Slack! - Upwork HR

4. 5.0

Director of Operations Review

Apr 30, 2022 - Director of Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home at times Fun place to work Interesting concept

Cons

Bonus is meh Not a crazy amount to move up in

5. 5.0

AM

Apr 29, 2022 - Account Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Love it! So much fun

Cons

Nothing really, love it here

6. 4.0

AE at Upwork

Apr 25, 2022 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing culture and product that truly benefits the customer

Cons

Constantly changing environment and resources

7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company To Work for. Solid starting point as a bdr if you want get into corporate sales

Apr 20, 2022 - Enterprise Business Development Representative in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company with great values

Cons

Still has a startup feel so there are always changes happening

8. 4.0

Good place to start

Apr 11, 2022 - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can schedule your own pace

Cons

Communication can be confusing, depending on your team members

9. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Upwork is a great company if you are looking to sell a solution that truly delivers value to customers

Mar 21, 2022 - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for. They offer the great benefits of any Silicon Valley-based org and deliver a world class solution that solves real business problems. You will learn a lot about the human capital market and get a chance to support clients across all departments; marketing, customer service, finance, IT, HR, etc. The events and office are all top notch. Made a lot of great accommodations during COVID and put their employees first. Offers career growth and leaders that are willing to help.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but be aware the first thing you are selling (in most instances) is the value independent freelancers and agencies bring to a business then selling why Upwork is the best solution to support that new strategy. For a majority of companies, large-scale independent workforce strategies are still a new concept so if you are coming from a SaaS company that had a more traditional offering with a transactional sales-cycle expect it taking time to learn.

1 person found this review helpful

Upwork Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review! So happy to hear you feel fulfilled by your work and happy with the culture and growth opportunities here at Upwork. Please feel free to reach out to HR if you have any ideas about how we can make things even better! - Upwork HR

10. 5.0

Great Culture

Mar 23, 2022 - Business Development Representative in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company culture, and great people to work with.

Cons

Sales are numbers, and there was a lot of turnover at a point

Continue reading
Viewing 1 - 10 of 241 Reviews

Upwork Reviews FAQs

Upwork has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 264 reviews left anonymously by employees. 81% of employees would recommend working at Upwork to a friend and 62% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 16% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Upwork employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Upwork. This rating has improved by 9% over the last 12 months.

81% of Upwork employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Upwork 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Upwork to be career development, benefits, culture and the cons to be compensation, management, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Upwork Job Seekers