Upwork Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Upwork CEO Stephane Kasriel
Stephane Kasriel

Pros
Cons
  • Lots of technical debt from legacy platforms, Elance and oDesk, that will take years to resolve (in 8 reviews)

• A lot of low paying work to be had (in 13 reviews)

1. "Honest internet based freelancing agency"

Former Employee - Data Entry in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Upwork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reliable payment, solid system, great support team, easy to find jobs and employer, large network of companies and freelancers. Great user interface.

Cons

Not a lot of chalenge. I was working full time when the company was called 'oDesk' and they have a great reliable payroll system.

2. "Smart, Diverse Team, Meaningful Mission"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Upwork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with a bright, internationally diverse team (both corporate employees (1/3 of total headcount) and freelancers (2/3)) who are driven by a clear and inspiring company mission to change the way the world works and create professional opportunity for millions.

Cons

Eating our own dogfood (working with a partially distributed team) can be challenging. Lots of technical debt from legacy platforms, Elance and oDesk, that will take years to resolve.

3. "Upwork lives its values and empowers its employees to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Upwork full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part about Upwork is that we are empowering folks around the globe with the tools to freelance and get work done wherever they are. It's inspiring to hear real stories from freelancers that have improved their lives because of Upwork. As an employee, there is minimal micromanaging; employees are given the tools to do their jobs and are trusted to get the work done. Beautiful workspace, liberal work from home policies, free lunch & snacks, and plenty of extracurriculars.

Cons

Mediocrity is tolerated up to a point. Takes longer to cut the fat than it should. However, I would probably make the same comment about most companies that I've worked for.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Good group of people.
    Great work life balance.
    Work from home day built in.
    Having a product that really effects people and can make a difference.

Cons

Can be pretty quiet at times.

"Great Company, Great People!"

Current Employee - Contract Recruiter in Plymouth, MI
    Current Employee - Contract Recruiter in Plymouth, MI

Pros

With 15 years working as a Recruiter in the staffing industry, I can honestly say I am a good judge of a good company vs. bad. Upwork brought me on as a contract Recruiter. Not only do they have a great product, they truly invest in their people. Everyone I've worked with has been a blast to work with. It is very refreshing to wake up and love to go to work. Hands down, Upwork is a great company!

Cons

Only con is that I'm contract. Working with Upwork has made me wish I was a permanent part of this team!

I've noticed a few bad reviews from freelancers referencing the company they partnered with through Upwork's platform. Those have nothing to do with working internally at Upwork, rather the company they freelanced for.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

7. "Mission driven company that treats employees well"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Upwork full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission of Upwork is inspiring! It's exciting to work for a company that is leading the charge towards more flexible work opportunities for people in the US and around the world. I like working for a company that is creating long term value and I am confident that Upwork will be around for a very long time. On top of that, the employees are enthusiastic and motivated. Work is fun,

Upwork is pretty transparent with information (regular metrics meetings, all hands meetings, product demonstrations, and trainings) and works hard to keep it's employees informed and engaged. In addition, there are a lot of opportunities for advancement within departments or in new ones.

Benefits were expanded this past year and are pretty strong for a company our size. Finally got 401K matching! Working from home on Wednesdays is also a fantastic perk -- and so is the daily free lunch.

Cons

I've been with the company for 5 years and we experienced some growing pains with the merger of Elance and Odesk. That was two years ago and fortunately, the dust has settled. After the merger, I was impressed by how the company made culture a priority and gathered extensive employee feedback to craft and define our company values. Departments can sometimes feel siloed particularly given the three different offices but the company has taken steps to have different departments collaborate (such as a hackathon week that led to some exciting innovations).

Advice to Management

Great job! As Upwork grows and our teams become more and more distributed, I encourage management to over communicate whenever possible. Continue to evangelize the vision and celebrate our successes!

Upwork Response

Sep 7, 2016 – VP, HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. I agree that we're on a great path and yet still have room to improve. Please feel free to share suggestions and ideas in person or via ... More

"Creating real social value worldwide"

Pros

Upwork is a company that provides a significant value to people seeking to work and hire worldwide. Being a part of this transformation of where and how work gets done is extremely rewarding. This inherently creates a strong sense of work-life-balance since location and daily hours are very flexible. The team is strong and works well together with a common goal of improving the ability for the freelancers and clients on the platform to improve their lives.

Cons

The company is going through some growing pains as a result of its success. This has resulted in some changes in technology and team members to end up in the strongest position going-forward. To aid in this, the company has been investing heavily in infrastructure and an a culture that empowers individuals throughout the organization.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the success of the community. With client and freelancers success comes a virtuous cycle the continues to improve the quality of jobs and talent.

Upwork Response

Aug 17, 2016 – VP, HR

Thanks so much for the great feedback. Agree we need to keep focusing on infrastructure and empowering our incredible employees! Please always feel welcome to come to me with other suggestions as ... More

"Great benefit, but not so great management"

I worked at Upwork full-time

Pros

They have pretty good benefit for their employees.

Cons

After the merge, the company is going down.

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Upwork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative work culture; very data driven; good benefits; buzz is quite fun; pet friendly work environment; company size is still small enough for a great ideal of upward mobility;

Cons

Less of a brand name compared to fb and uber; mountain view office is too quiet; too many unnecessary meetings

"Good culture, great mission, business starting to hum"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Upwork full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Still acts like a small company. No meaningful politics and lots of empowerment
    Great business model -
    The merger is behind them

Cons

We still try to do too much for the number of employees we have

Advice to Management

Focus, focus, focus! This is a fun company that is poised to do great things