Utility Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Utility Interview Questions

Interviews at Utility

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Utility

Leadership Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Utility (New York, NY) in October 2018.

Interview

The CEO reached out to me directly via LinkedIn and proposed an intriguing opportunity.
    From there we had a number of phone conversations discussing the opportunity.
    He was both candid and incredibly forthcoming about the challenges and opportunities that his company faced. The discussion was frank, open and incredibly engaging. The questions were hard hitting and challenged my experience, but in a way that made me confident that this was a sharp and intelligent group.
    I had the opportunity to meet with a few key team members to get a feel for the organization’s approach as well as the culture.
    I was then given an opportunity to raise my own questions and concerns, all of which were responded to in kind.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Utility (New York, NY) in January 2019.

Interview

Applied online for an iOS engineer position. The first step was a preliminary call with the CEO directly. Explained in detail the company culture and job requirements. The call went great and was a pleasant surprise to have a frank conversation with the CEO directly instead of a recruiter.

Second step was an in-person interview in the office. All the people who interviewed me kept it casual and made me feel at ease and friendly. The interview process consisted of a first round with the CTO, second round with another iOS dev on the team and lastly with the CEO to discuss past experience, passions, general outlook, etc.

Got a formal decision from the founder a week later. Had two other offers on the table from other companies -- the friendly work environment at Utility sealed the deal for me.

Interview Questions

• What makes you passionate about building iOS apps?   Answer Question
    • How can your past experience help with building apps for major brands?   Answer Question
    • What tools and processes do you like to use in development?   Answer Question
    • How do you prioritize several open tasks?   Answer Question

Design Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Utility in November 2018.

Interview

I had a 30-min phone interview with the creative director. The interview was straightforward and consisted of behavioral questions/portfolio review. I talked to the CEO a few days later and got an offer.

Interview Questions

• Explain your design decisions. What is your process like?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Utility (New York, NY) in May 2018.

Interview

I had a few phone calls with David, the CEO. We discussed my previous experience, qualifications that I bring as well as for the new position, our goals, and non-work related questions to get to really know me, which I greatly appreciated.

For the next stage, I came to the office to meet with team members from various departments to get a better understanding of the day to day activities, previous work experience, qualifications, how would I handle certain situations and Utility's culture. From the moment I walked in, they made me feel part of the team and our meeting was just a formality.

My final stage was meeting Dave to continue the conversation we've been having throughout the interview process. He brings excitement and passion to everything he does. It assured me that I was making the right decision.

Throughout the process, everyone at Utility was very accommodating. I felt that I was interviewing to be a part of their team and not just a job.

Interview Questions

• Can you please tell me about your previous experiences?   Answer Question
    • What would you do in this situation? Can you walk us through it?   Answer Question
    • What types of clients have you worked with?   Answer Question
    • What are your goals and how does it relate to this position?   Answer Question

IOS/Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Utility (New York, NY) in September 2018.

Interview

Emails from the CEO (no hiring manager) came at odd hours (10 pm on a Wed and before 8 am on a Saturday). The CEO was 30 minutes late to my interview and the first words out of his mouth to me were “Don’t have kids!”, a tone deaf statement to make to a woman, and inappropriate. Our interview was a total of 90 minutes long, with a very casual and frank discussion about my career as well as personal life. I won’t make an attempt to justify his actions in asking me my age and my ethnicity during our conversation. I wasn’t prepared to deflect these questions. I sat with one of the engineers on the team for about 20 minutes to assess my skill level in relation to one of their current projects. This was the most positive part of the interview. After the interview, I was told that my Github projects would be reviewed by the CEO and the other Co-Founder. Two days later (Saturday before 8 am), I was asked to send video walk throughs of the features of my apps. I’d never heard of this request and a quick look at my portfolio would show detailed GIFs of my work. 15 minutes later, I received another email with a coding challenge that asked me to select pages from a design mock up to reproduce in code. When I received the design mock up the following Monday, it was a fully designed application with detailed views for each feature. It was unclear if this was a completed app that I would be cloning, or a new client project that I was being asked to build for free. In conclusion, the lack of structure and clear hiring protocols, the inappropriate personal questions, visible disparity in terms of gender representation in the office (~9:2), and apparent disregard for work/life balance and personal boundaries made it difficult for me to justify moving forward in the interview process. I did not attempt the coding challenge, it was not worth my time to bid for a company that I already felt disrespected by.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Utility (New York, NY) in May 2019.

Interview

in person meeting with personal and technical questions, and prior phone calls. I had two preliminary phone calls with the eco featuring basic questions and background info. then went into the office for a formal meeting

Interview Questions

• how my studies in school and major aligned with their team functions?   1 Answer