Virgin America Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 2, 2017

2.7

In Flight Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Virgin America (San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online, then did a video interview then was invited to the face to face. There was about 30 of us there. Short presentation of the company and a little info on the merger between Virgin and Alaska. Then we were separated some people did one on one's and some people had group interview and the rest of us just waited and were able to ask current flight attendants questions. It was a pretty laidback interview. The group interview was scenario based questions all centered around customer service. Not gonna lie, they were pretty hard. The one on one was great. I felt really good about the whole day but unfortunately I didn't get the offer. Sucks because virgin is my dream airline. But who knows what they're looking for. There was 30 of us there and they only picked 3 people. So very selective.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Virgin America (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

First, I sent in an application. About two weeks later, I received a questionnaire to fill out. Next probably 48 hours later, I received an invitation to do a one way interview online. This was very nerve racking for me because I had never done one before. I came to GlassDoor to study the questions and prepare. This website was very helpful.

After that I did not here from virgin for 3-4 months. So I gave up and waiting and started applying to United. Oddly, as soon as i sent my application to United, Virgin got back to me to set up a phone interview. It was less a interview and more them telling me about their tattoo and piercing policy and that id have to pay my way to the face to face interview. I was asked why I would be good for Virgin.

I then set up a date to go to Cali. Call me crazy that I have to pay outta pocket but I'm excited! I've never been to SanFran. hopefully its worth it!!

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Virgin America in October 2017.

Interview

When you apply online you're prompted to do an assessment. It's very simple, but a lot of questions so it take a while. I think less than 24 hours after applying they sent a link for a video interview. They give you 72 hours to complete it. Maybe 4 days later I got an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was more like "do you have tattoos?", "are you willing to move to California?". The recruiter I spoke to also asked why I would be a good fit for the job. Then she invited me to interview face to face in Burlingame (San Fran). You have to pay your own way to the interview.

I arrived to the hotel where the interview was held at 8, one hour before it was supposed to begin. The email did mention that check in would start at 8:30. I mingled with other applicants in the lobby before it was time to check in. They also had four current flight attendants dressed in uniform there in the lobby. They were very nice and answered any questions we had. They really helped to make us comfortable and keep the nerves down.

After checking in we separated into groups. The recruiters, flight attendants (they were called the promo team), and us applicants did a quick introduction of ourselves. My particular interview group was only 11 people. I was surprised by how few of us there were but I felt it was an advantage as the recruiters could get to know each of us more closely. The main recruiter did a quick overview of how the day was going to go. He said the longer the day for you the better and that they will doing cuts throughout the day and you will know at the end whether you've been chosen or not.

First we did a very easy written test of 24 hour time, airport codes, and airline terminology. They gave us a study guide before hand and it was only 9 questions. From there we began group activities. First we did a game where everyone at your table writes three things you each have in common and one thing that is unique to yourself. Then everyone else guesses which characteristic belongs to who. I think after that we had a break and then they did a PowerPoint of everything we should know about the position and company. He was very thorough. They also did a QA for anything about the Alaska merger. I was most concerned about job security, but we were assured no flight crew will be let go, unfortunately office work has become redundant so there will be some lay offs on the back end there.

After that was another group activity. Two of the promo team members acted as passengers. We had to pull a scenario out of a bag and pretend to be the FA on a flight and act it out. Then we each pulled a question out of a bag and answer it. The scenarios were things like - A child is running up and down the aisle and the parents are not doing anything about it, or A first class passenger is next to a crying baby, what do you do?. The questions were for example - if you could have any super power what would it be? or what was your worst job?

Then the waiting game began. All the recruiters and promo team left the room and started calling us out one by one for individual interviews. I was the third to the last to be called and felt like I was waiting for hours! The individual interview was actually rather quick. The recruiters and you. Questions: 1. Tell us about yourself. 2. What makes you work best? 3. Why virgin? 4. Why should we hire you? 5. Tell us about a time you didn't agree with a policy at work. 6. Tell us about a time you weren't able to satisfy a customer. 7. Do you have any questions for us? 8. Is there anything else you want us to know about you?

After that, if you were chosen you did fingerprinting, drug testing, and had your badge photo taken that day!

It was such a great experience. Virgin is a great company unlike any other and it's an exciting time to be a part of it. In a couple years Alaska will be a bigger airline with all the best aspects of Alaska and Virgin. The recruiters and promo team were all so genuine and really made you feel good to be there.

Waiting on results of background test to receive a training date.

I think all video interview questions are listed in other posts here on Glassdoor.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Virgin America (Burlingame, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Application process to interview process was really fast. I was impressed with the recruiting staff timelines. I was called to schedule a Face to Face interview with short notice for 10/26/17 in Burlingame, CA Embassy for 09:00 AM. Total expenses out of pocket cost me roughly $600 . i arrived at 08:00 AM and most people were there gathering in lobby. Virgin Staff showed up around 09:00 AM or later. I was surprised to see staff dressed and groomed so poorly and unprofessional. Staff looked miserable and tired. There wasn't an icebreaker only informational video, 10 minute restroom break, group interview and one on one interview. I never had time to eat and raced to get one glass of water. Staff seemed very catty and non chalant about the process. I did very well in the group interview but i was starving and delusional by one on one due to poor time management. Needless to say, i didn't receive an offer but after seeing the employees behaviors, time management and poor appearances it wasn't a good fit for me.

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I interviewed at Virgin America in October 2017.

Interview

This is about f2f interview. There was a group interview and an individual interview. Make sure you smile and stay positive. The group interview consisted of 12 people in my group, and 4 virgin staff in one room. Random cards of questions were passed out and we're not allowed to take a look at it until it was my turn to talk. These were customer service scenarios from different professions. You want to be able to think on your feet and think creatively. The staff will grade you on the spot to see how well you did. Be loud, confident, succinct, and smile. They will also probe you a little bit.

After the group interview, I had a one on one. The interviewer seems nice and friendly, seem a little tired.

Ater the interview, I waited at the main room. By that time, alot of candidates were already pull out, either they got the job or escorted out. you'll never know. When my name was called, candidates were encouraged to clap hands and cheer for me. As I walked out of the room, a recruiter walked along with me and asked how I was doing. She stopped at the corner of the hall and gave me her "TBNT" speech in a calm way, making it look like she was sorry, something that i read from emails when receiving numerous rejection letter from airlines that I applied for. It was no surprising. It seems that they hire younger candidates, fresh off college with little experience.

In Flight Teammate Interview

Interview

Easy application format - basic information, resume/cover letter and then a 35 minute questionnaire (i.e. personality traits and working as a team vs alone). As soon as I completed my application I received a notice that I wasn't a good candidate for the position - I assume this has to do with my answers in the questionnaire because it was too short of a time for anyone to have reviewed either my resume or cover letter. I understand that personality can "make or break" guest experience when it comes to customer care, but it's a shame that someone with many years of customer service experience could be declined simply because they didn't score well on a personality test.

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Virgin America.

Interview

The group interview is in a very casual atmosphere. They will tell you to have fun but contain to maintain professional. My group had a blast and it seems we may have too much fun as most of us did not make it through. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• They gave out scenarrios: The plane is having a mechanical delay, two passengers are very upset. Act it out and show how you would handle it.   2 Answers

Guest Services Teammate Interview

Interview

The hiring process was fast only took 2 weeks. They were impressively fast on following up. So first you'll do the Online application. Be ready to be online for a while. It's a long application that's really more like a personality test. Then you'll receive an email for the Video interview where it's a one way interview and you get to answer a series of questions and you have a few seconds to answer. Then you'll receive an email for a phone interview and you'll need to choose when they can best call you. This is really more just to reiterate what you said on your video interview and a few more reminders on what to expect if hired. Then lastly the F2F interview where you are invited to the headquarters. First you do an ice breaker, then a briefing of what the job is, salary & benefits. Then finally a face to face interview with management. That's where my journey ended as I was not a match for the job.

Just be yourself. Research well on the company way before your F2F interview . They will definitely see right thru you if you're not fit for this job. Also helps if you're attractive and younger(cause this is a front line job after all!) on top of your work experience and how well you interview. So best of luck!

Interview Questions

• Why Virgin America?
      Why Should we hire you?
      Explain the time you did not agree on company policy and how you handled it?
      Think back from your last job where you feel was your best working environment?
      What type of working environment to do thrive the most?
      Why the move to this job?   Answer Question

Guest Service Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Virgin America (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Process took about a month . You fill the app , take a test than they invite you to a video interview . Pass that , they will email you for a phone interview and you pick the time convenient for you . They call you takes about 15 min , if you pass they invite you to the group interview /1x1... but you really go through 2 separate interviews. I personally thought I did awesome . I participated in the ice break game , I felt I did my best and was very clear in what I wanted which was the job .. I have 15 years of customer service experience , I showed them I really wanted the job and I thought my personality was what they were looking for... I was so excited after going through my second interview I honestly thought I got the job for sure !!! Btw there were about 30 candidates there and they were looking to hire as many people that fit the position ...they called my name at the end to let me know that my journey as ended there. I was not told why ... I prepared for this interview and stayed up the night before just peeping myself because this is my dream job and I was so anxious to be a virgin America team member . They said during the group interview just have Fun and be yourself and that's exactly what I did . They lost a good one :( oh well life goes on ... another airline will be lucky enough to have me that's for sure ! :)

In Flight Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Virgin America (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

This was my first choice out of the Airlines and also my first interview. That being said-
    I loved the whole process! I applied and in the same day did the personality test. A few days later I was asked to do a video interview. *people research the company and know you're stuff!* A month later I received an email asking me to take a phone call and then I was offered an in person interview.
    At the in person interview there were 23 candidates. We connected before the process and the in flight promo crew greeted us and invited us to ask them questions. We did 2 team builders and had the orientation of the company. Not in that order. We had 3 breaks all total and they do have some water and snacks in the room.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a team member isn't doing their best/not doing their work load?   Answer Question
    • Why should we hire you?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had a customer that wasn't easy to satisfy?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you wowed a customer?   Answer Question
    • Walk me through your resume and tell me about the skills sets you've used that apply to this job.   Answer Question