Volvo Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Volvo Group Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2017

3.1

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Volvo Group.

Interview

Was approached by a recruitment firm for an opening as a Manufacturing Engineer with Volvo Group in Hagerstown, MD. Upon my first phone interview with the Volvo team, the engineering manager was immediately upfront about the position being a contract position with the contract not going any longer than 2 years with a 6 month minimum. The manager asked if I was comfortable with that and I shared my concern and voiced that I would prefer an permanent opportunity with Volvo and that if there was no chance in this occurring that it would be best to not waste their or my time. However I was pushed to carry on with the interview as he and his team felt I possessed the skills and knowledge they were looking for and there would possibly be the potential of full time employment post contract. Needless to say the phone interview lasted 45 minutes during which time I became much more open to the opportunity/contract position. During closing discussion, I was directed by the manager to begin discussion with the recruitment firm on my required benefit package as he and his team felt me to be an excellent fit and wanted to extend an offer as well as getting me on-site to meet the team and tour the facility.

I was notified days later that they would be pursing an alternate candidate as it was directly mentioned this candidate had less experience and a yet to be developed skill set as related to manufacturing engineering - basically, I was over qualified. Also, it was shared that my reluctance at the start of the phone interview to accept a contract position in pursuit of a permanent position with Volvo was taken as negative (all though I was pushed by the interviewing engineering manger to continue on).

It appears to me as if this engineering manager is unsure himself in what his organization and team needs to better grow themselves and Volvo Group at this location. It was stressed to me during the recruitment phase that he required specific skills and knowledge and that the engineering manager was "sensitive" and "tired of falsities and lies" being stated in candidates resumes - that he wanted to find a genuine candidate, committed to the role and to Volvo that possessed the needed skills.......

.... I was that candidate, I have those skills, I expressed that commitment to your team and to Volvo - but I'm over qualified and negative in wanting to develop a lengthy career with your organization.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with this being a contracted 6 month to 2 year position with a minimal chance of full time employment?   1 Answer

Manufacturing/Industrial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Volvo Group (Dublin, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied for internship position through campus recruiting and got a call back a few days later. They gave me a plant tour and then there was a 30-40 min interview. My interview was held with three lead engineers where we mostly talked about my resume and interests in the company.

Vehicle Validation Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Volvo Group in March 2017.

Interview

Lasted roughly 40 minutes. It was a phone interview. They primarily explained what I would be doing, what other interns do, stuff like that. Asked about my MATLAB projects, experience, strength and weaknesses.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a problem with another group member before, how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Cab Interior Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Volvo Group in January 2017.

Interview

The first round of the interview was a video interview. You get the question with one minute to prepare your thoughts. The main focus of the questions were to see how you solved problems in the past. Roughly 4 questions were asked in total.

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Volvo Group (Virginia Beach, VA).

Interview

The interview process was fairly easy. There were two interviews that I had to go through. The first was through HR and the second was through the manager himself. They both asked fairly simple questions.

Interview Questions

• How much experience do you have when it comes to customer service?   Answer Question

Engineering Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Volvo Group (Greensboro, NC) in November 2016.

Interview

After submitting a resume and cover letter I completed a series of on-line assessments that were more about personality and basic aptitudes rather than any specific technical knowledge. Finally, recruits met together at the company for a day of presentations, interviews, and facility tours.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you failed and what you learned from it.   Answer Question

Engineering Co-Op Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Volvo Group.

Interview

Met with the recruiters at university career fair, signed up for an informal interview on the spot for the next day. The interview was very brief, lasting only 20 minutes as they were 30 minute slots. We mostly talked about my resume and my hobbies and interests. Since it was a general interview, I couldn't really ask about technical job details because they hadn't been finalized yet.

Graduate Engineering Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Volvo Group in April 2016.

Interview

First, I applied online via CV and Cover letter. Within 2 weeks, I was asked to perform various online tests (personality, logics, reading and numerical) and at the same time, I was invited for a on-line interview 2 weeks after. This was an competency based interview. The interview was a little more than 1h long and I received a very complete feedback on my online tests results for another 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time where you were the one to take the initiative   Answer Question

Co-Op Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Volvo Group.

Interview

I was very satisfied with Volvo. They have high expectations for their employees and asked technical questions during the interview. I was interviewed over the phone and personally do not like over the phone interviews. The interviewer was very relaxed.

Interview Questions

• What was your favorite robot you worked with?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockleigh, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Volvo Group (Rockleigh, NJ) in March 2016.

Interview

Multiple Interviews with managers and human resources. First phone interview was short and covered personality questions. The second interview was more geared towards figuring out my talents, career questions, and company opportunities.

Interview Questions

• To demonstrate how to solve certain business situations and work with groups of people   1 Answer

Negotiation

Come prepared to speak about strengths, prior experience, and why you want to work for the company. How will you be a benefit to the company and why would the company benefit from hiring you?