Wall Street Journal Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

Sort:

Photo Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Wall Street Journal (New York, NY) in April 2009.

Interview

A friend recommended me. It was an informal interview process mainly because I was being hired for a freelance position at will.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the photo agencies you have experience working with?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, but took what they offered me. Probably could have asked for about $5 more/hour because the folks hired several months before me were offered more.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wall Street Journal in February 2014.

Interview

Interview took 3 weeks and included phone screening as well as several e-mails. The HR was very helpful and everyone seemed quite encouraging--they seemed to appreciate me because I have a very international background. I also talked a lot about my travel experiences during the interview.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Wall Street Journal (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview was an absolute joke compared to some of the structured, intimidating, and skill-based interviews I've had with other companies. I met one of the VP's, who basically said "I hear one of our directors likes you. So I trust that you'll do well" Then we talked about my experience for a little while and that was it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience so far   1 Answer

Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Wall Street Journal (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I went through several interviews. The recruiters and interviewers were unprofessional and were always late to the scheduled interview times. In my opinion, if the interviewers consistently demonstrate the lack of effort and professionalism, you can tell how the management structure will be.

Interview Questions

• What Would The Person Who Likes You Least In The World Say About You?   Answer Question

Events Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wall Street Journal.

Interview

I was connected to them through a former colleague. It was a very transparent process. First a phone interview. After we established I was interested I talked to a recruiter. I did a video interview the following week and then talked to the recruiter again. Ultimately the salary was not enough to make me leave my job.

Interview Questions

• Not a question, but it wasn't clear who I would report to.   Answer Question

Reporter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Wall Street Journal.

Interview

Very thorough interview covering years of experience, areas of expertise, best areas with good contacts and sources and ability to write short and longer articles. The emphasis was on having and developing a deep understanding of a particular industry, understanding it in the broadest context within the national and global economy and have detailed knowledge of the largest companies and their competitive advantages and weaknesses. The stress was on the ability to provide exclusive stories and being able to file them in a very fast manner on all the different Dow Jones venues, including digital sites and the newspaper. There was also emphasis on collaborative approaches to articles and working closely with other reporters, and how much of that I had done in the past.

Interview Questions

• Who could you call now to get an exclusive story?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Straightforward, clear with good offer.

Reporter Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Wall Street Journal (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

Met with the hiring editor for lunch then later had a day-long set of interviews in New York with various editors. The process and who does the interviews can vary a great deal.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at The Wall Street Journal?   1 Answer

Negotiation

One counteroffer

Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Wall Street Journal (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

friendly greet by manager and walk through departments. review with manager on experience and know hows. Test was not given at the time but was professional informed about the result next week

Freelance Reporter Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Wall Street Journal (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

For a freelancer's position, there was no formal interview process. I just got in touch with the editor after we met for coffees he asked me to start to send story ideas. The story ideas were not always immediately approved, but there was the possibility to exchange ideas and to discuss the stories in order to improve them.

News Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Wall Street Journal (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was pretty standard. I wasn't interviewed by very many people. the process was brief and rather painless.To be honest, this was a very long time ago, and I'm not sure it has relevance now.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your process for writing stories.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't much of a negotiation. I was told the salary and accepted the job.