Western Alliance Bank Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 28, 2017

2.5

Senior Internal Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Western Alliance Bank (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2016.

Interview

I interviewed over the phone from Los Angeles before relocating to the Phoenix area. There was a number of cancelled interviews during that time frame and the recruiter was not able to get them rescheduled with the hiring manager (I later found out that the hiring manager was not longer with the company).

When I finally relocated to the area 2 months later, I contacted the recruiter and was scheduled for an interview for an Internal Audit position with a different team (Financial versus Operational audit). By this time I had another offer for the same position from a different bank, which was higher than the offer I received from Western Alliance (WA). WA eventually matched the offer.

When I went in to sign the offer letter, I was asked to submit to a background check. At this point, I had not yet completed an application. After getting fingerprinted, I was required to go to a lab for drug testing using a hair sample. Because I have short hair on my head, I ended up having to get my forearm shaved.

I then received a call while I was driving home from the drug test informing me that my background screening came back and they would like for me to provide "explanations". The background report was emailed to me and indicated several arrests dating back to when I was 16yo. I am currently 36years old. Albeit I had no felony convictions or misdemeanor convictions (except for two minor traffic-related misdemeanors with fines that I paid- $100 and $500 respectively). The offer was then rescinded.

I then accepted the first offer I received from the other bank. That bank did not ask me about my arrest record and was only concerned with crimes related to theft, embezzlement, money-laundering etc. This to me made more since given the fact that this is a desk job and its not I'm applying to be a shuttle bus driver. The other bank did not require me to submit to a drug test,

The bottom line, I think everything happens for a reason. I am very happy where I am now working for a larger global bank with a much better reputation.

Apparently, WA risk appetite is very low because they have probably had a number of claims filed in recent years. I an almost bet that was the reason for considering arrest which did not lead to a conviction and minor traffic violations.

Nonetheless, I am in my first month with my new employer and I am already being considered for a promotion since I am the first Internal Audit hire in the Phoenix office (the other IA team members are in San Francisco and New York City). Not only do I have the "first hire" advantage, I have more flexibility. My audit supervisors are in different States and are a pleasure to work with. I have no one breathing down my neck and I can work from home most of the time.

I've since learned that Western Alliance has a very high turnover. Given my experience, I am sure there is a reason for the turnover. I shouldn't have wasted my time interviewing for a job that would have placed me in a hostile, or at the very least. uncomfortable work environment.

N/A

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Alliance Bank.

Interview

I was hired on with a different bank and it merged with Western Alliance Bank. Hiring at the time was very easy with a simple phone interview with HR just asking a few questions to be able to setup a time for you to interview with the manager. Once the manager interviews you, the HR gets back to you quickly and was hired on. Once hired, they did a background check and credit check.
    Now with Western Alliance I heard the process is different now, so I can't comment on the new hiring and interview practices.

Interview Questions

• This question didn't come up while I interviewed to be hired on, but it was asked when I applied to transfer to a different location within the bank. They gave you a pen and had you sell the pen to the manager.   Answer Question

Negotiation

At the time I was hired, there was no negotiation.

Commercial Loan Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Western Alliance Bank (Phoenix, AZ) in January 2015.

Interview

Meeting with a few managers which is typical. HR is also apart of the process but they have limited say unless you are a teller. Be sure to wear a suit and tie to fit into the culture

Interview Questions

• Can't recall specifically. No I gotcha questions though   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Western Alliance Bank (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2014.

Interview

Interviewed by Ops Admin and it went very well. Really like them. The position is basically a branch manager because the officers do most of the sales piece in the branches. Lots more responsibility then the normal operations manager roles in banking.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a correction that needs to be made?   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Western Alliance Bank (Beverly Hills, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

First, the director asked me about my resume and my interest in fixed income field. Next, he asked some general behavioral questions based on my resume.

I get the internship position within a week.

Account Service Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western Alliance Bank (Mesa, AZ) in October 2011.

Interview

Phone interview with direct manager, he is super nice and invited me to come in for 1:1 interview. Then second interview with manager and VP. The whole process only took a couple weeks and received the job offer.

Interview Questions

• General questions; How did you hear about us? How do rate your computer (mwords,excell,etc) skill? Very basic questions.   Answer Question