Wood Mackenzie Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Wood Mackenzie Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2017

3.3

Talent Acquisition Interview

Interview

Phone screen with talent acquisition, then a phone interview with the hiring manager who is in Scotland. Met with Human Resources and additional managers in person at the Houston office (Galleria area). Beyond questions about skills and experience, there were several behavioral questions that called for specific examples of team work, achievements, systems/processes used, and what was learned in each position on my resume.

Interview Questions

• How did your precious roles partner with other divisions/departments?   1 Answer

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX).

Interview

Interview process took a couple of months in early 2017. Recruiter (from UK ) called me about the position in Houston. She kept calling me for months to arrange for interview and finally I has a phone interview with Enterprise Architecture director who is located in Houston and another person from UK who introduced him self as an architect. First interview went fine and I progressed to second interview where they asked to develop a couple of pages using AngularJS even though this was not part of the job description. They called this as an exercise. I submitted the exercise after a week(they gave around 4 days to complete). Be aware that this is a waste of time as you will not get a response from the Mackenzie team and recruiter will not reply back. I think the position is fictitious and does not exist. Stay away from this company as there are many respectful companies in Houston that deserve your engagement. Interview questions were not related to job description.

Interview Questions

• What is your expectations for the salary?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

The Interview process was way too long, and challenging. It was fun to to solve the case studies, and other questions that were presented, but I didn't found them unnecessary. It was very well conducted. I felt like I did an amazing job, but unfortunately was not offered with the position.

I have an experience of 3 years with a very similar profile in a bigger company. I will try not to sound boastful here, but believe me, I have a skill-set that most of the Woodmac analysts don't have, was clearly a better candidate than the rest that appeared and yet was not offered with a job. After inquiring through my contacts who work in the particular team at Woodmac, I was told that they managers and team-members, carry a facade of being friendly, but act differently when it comes to providing opportunity to people from "different backgrounds". If you can read between the lines, I'm sure you understand what I mean there. Overall, I was disappointed with their decision at first, but after getting some real scoops of what happens there, I'm glad with the outcome. All said and done, it was a good interview though.

Interview Questions

• What are three major challenges being faced by the Upstream Industry?   Answer Question

GIS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Interview scheduled for 5 hours, 8am-1pm at the Houston office. Was asked to prepare a short presentation for a portion of the interview. The interview was a multi-step process consisting of an HR interview, technical interview where I was asked to create a map using ArcGIS, a presentation to a group of employees, a group exercise with the other candidates, and an informal lunch.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between IDW and Kriging interpolation?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to GIS to solve a client's problem   Answer Question
    • How would you define GIS and it purpose to upper management?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

4 to 5 round interview from behavioral to case study. The case study was on an insurance case where they expect you to skim through the study in half an hour and then go through a set of question if you were a strategic adviser.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in May 2016.

Interview

I was based abroad and did two phone interviews (30mins each). The first was with the manager/supervisor and the second was with HR. The first interview was more technical - asking about your industry knowledge, skills, etc while the second interview was a strengths assessment and walk me through your resume.

I was informed that Wood Mackenzie has a robust selection process - after 2 rounds of phone interviews, it will be a video interview.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Interview

Phone conversation with human resources, basic first round interview questions talking about resume and identifying fit with the job, why I would be interested in consulting vs a research role, why I am a good fit for the job and questions along these lines

Energy Consulting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Quantitative assessment online and plus a single phone interview, consisting of behavioral questions only. The assessment was 45 minutes long and tested GMAT-level math and reading comprehension skills. The interview team consisted of two people, both of whom were very nice and wanted to evaluate my personality and teamwork skills rather than in-depth business/technical knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your interest in Wood Mackenzie and why your background is a fit for the position.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in March 2016.

Interview

phone interview for 30mn with three managers. They started by introducing themselves and what their roles at wood Mackazie. most questions were about my previous experience, and some technical. They asked about my excel skills, VBA skills

Analyst, North America Upstream Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Interview consists of 6 tests:
    1) IQ test you can do from home (20 min). Make sure you practice the sample questions first. Practice a lot of them. They say you can use a calculator. Forget about it. You are not a robot - you would kill yourself trying to calculate that amount of calculations on your calculator (no person can work that fast). You need an excel sheet to be open next to your IQ test screen and calculate everything there. It will allow you finish all the questions in the allotted time frame if you practice enough. By the way, I do not think they really pay attention to it. It is just necessary to get you to the next step - assessment center (steps 2-6):
    2) Essay on why you would be a good hire for Woodmac (15 min)? What are the key themes in energy? (15 min).
    3) Behavioral interview (30 min, no need to prep)
    4) Technical interview (30 min, you either know it or you do not, no need to prep)
    5) Insurance case study/PRESENTATION (30 min prep and 15 min presentation and 15 min Q&A) . A lot of material to process, you need to be a speed reader, the key is to identify the key issues and disregard the distracting information, make sure you discuss what you are asked to in the case study description. I recommend reading a few articles on insurance industry and companies beforehand. The case is on home and car insurance. Very little P&L analysis, almost no numbers, it is all about your ability to process large amount of information in a very short time frame, identify the key points and address them effectively.
    6) Production optimization case study and GROUP DISCUSSION (30 min prep, 30 min discussion). in addition tot he allotted time, use your lunchtime to really look into it and understand it. Pay attention to details, such as when the shop opens and closes. Here again you are given a lot of information, very little time and no questions to solve. It is an open-ended case study. Think of it as a battle of minds. While I personally think that the right decision has to be achieved regardless if it is an individual task or a group discussion, the hiring managers might think otherwise. They might pay more attention to your ability to communicate with others, persuade them of your opinion, lead the discussion, incorporate other people's opinion into the final solution etc. When you are prepping for a group discussion, make sure you create an agenda of all the points that you think have to be addressed and make sure you follow that agenda during group discussion because surprisingly you guys will have a lot of time to discuss things. To give you a flavor: you have 2 assembly lines, 3 products to produce, and a bunch of constrains (working hours, # of employees, inventory levels, assembly line limitations, labels, deadlines, etc). I would find a number of good case studies online on assembly lines and production constrains and practice solving them. The goal is not given, but implicitly it is to come up with the optimal production plan taking into account all the constrains. Of course, some of the things might seem as constrain, but is actually no constrain at all. At the end, you guys will be notified that you have only 2 mins to finish. This is when you need a good summary of your production plan. I personally think that your production plan has to fulfill the client's order (here you get paid), while maximizing assembly line utilization (here you minimize costs) and satisfying all constrains. See if you can figure it out yourself before the group discussion. Do calculations, show/explain your math if you need to during the group discussion. be nice and do not be afraid to lead the discussion, because somebody has to do it anyway. Give an opportunity to others to express themselves too. It is about team work and team work is BIG at Woodmac.

Overall, you need to work very fast. Do not waste your time on anything at all.

Now really weird stuff: I know for sure they have 5 open positions right now. They made us wait for over 2 weeks to mail us a generic "No" after all this time commitment. I know for sure too that they have not interviewed anybody in between.

Ask yourself if you really want to work for this company with these people when you go through the interview. Are they happy? Are they nice? Will you have the growth opportunities/intellectual challenges that you need? Does it fit your career plan/interests?
    Make sure you do not lie to yourself.

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer working independently or in a team? In a team is the "right" answer of course.
      Describe the last group project that you worked on.
      Describe when you last helped somebody.
      A lot of questions on your relationship with your former colleagues and bosses.
      What does break even oil really mean? Read about ATIRR 15% and breakeven oil prices. You will see that breakeven oil price is actually not enough for a company to break even.
      Why companies are winding down GoM exploration? Read on COP exiting offshore exploration by 2017, MRO on scaling back conventional exploration plans, and MUR on drilling on commitment basis only.   Answer Question