WordStream Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at WordStream

2.7

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at WordStream (Boston, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by email to set up a phone screen interview. After the initial screening, another interview was arranged with a manager. It went great, he seemed impressed by my initiative. He told me he would contact me again for further interviews, but did not follow through on this or answer my subsequent emails touching base.

Interview Questions

WordStream Response

Feb 5, 2016

Thanks so much for your feedback on this. We pride ourselves on treating all of our candidates with respect and professionalism. I'm sorry to hear that your experience wasn't a great one, and that... More

Job Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at WordStream (Boston, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

Phone screen, phone interview, 2 hour in person interview. In person interview had 3 rounds, 2 people at each round. Manager, director and analysts and strategists and team leads join the rounds. Want to know if you understand company company, missions, digital marketing, adwords, how to deal with data, work with people, etc.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at WordStream (Boston, MA) in August 2012.

Interview

A recruiter introduced me to the company and setup a call with the VP of Engineering there.
    Talked about past experience and what they were looking for in terms of a candidate. Got a
    call back to schedule an in person interview. The in person interview consisted of 3 interviews with senior engineers/team leads with a couple coding exercises. Also interviewed again with the VP of Engineering and discussed how I would approach a specific problem I would be working on. The coding exercises were reasonable and a good representation of the responsibilities of the position.

The next day I interviewed with the CEO just to chat about culture, interests, and where I saw my career going.

Interview Questions

• Did not get any really difficult questions they were very straightforward and appropriate for the level of position I applied for.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Told the recruiter my range went back and forth once and they matched pretty painless.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at WordStream (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied through the company website. I was contacted by the recruiter in a week to schedule a phone screen.After the initial screen, I had a phone interview with the VP of Engineering. He asked me questions related to my background, my previous internships and projects. I was a bit nervous and fumbled a bit initially but he was very supportive and eased the pressure. After the phone screen I was invited to their Boston campus for technical interviews with the engineers there. All the interviewers were very easy going asked pretty basic programming questions and challenges.

Interview Questions

• Programming questions related to basic array, string manipulation.
      Database and class design questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at WordStream (Boston, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

phone call and then on-site for 3-4 hours. Whiteboard exercises. One on one with members of the team and then final with the VP of Engineering. Great process. Have interviewed with a number of other companies that have multiple on-site interviews which really is challenging to take that much time off and this process was much more doable. Got a great feel for the organization and what the job would be like.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not difficult.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at WordStream (Boston, MA) in August 2014.

Interview

I worked with a recruiter, but only had a phone interview, so I can't speak to the entire interview process. I believe there would have been at least an in person after the phone screen, but at the time it wasn't a good fit for me. At the time they seemed like a fast growing company and the interviewer was nice to speak with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at WordStream (Boston, MA) in February 2018.

Interview

The interviews themselves were great. Super professional and laid-back. Everyone was a joy to speak with. The process falls apart a bit in how long it took between rounds. Overall my interview process was about 3 months and ended in rejection. They seem to have high standards as the final technical round really grills you with technical problems and as far as I could tell, I only messed up on one of them despite the sheer number of questions I was asked. It took a bit for them to get back to me and I had the impression I was very close to getting the job.
    I did 4 rounds: HR screening, background questions from the team lead, technical interview, and a final 3-hour gauntlet of technical questions at their offices.
    All technical questions asked were very average, but the number of them is where the difficulty lies. It can be tiring.

Interview Questions

• String and integer manipulation questions, SQL knowledge, database design, REST and web design questions   Answer Question

Inside Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at WordStream.

Interview

I spoke over the phone with the Sales Training Manager for the initial phase of the process. We talked for about 30 minutes about my background, why I was interested in the position and the company, etc. We really hit it off and I was excited about the opportunity and what seemed to be a really good fit - he did mention that they have never hired from the outside for this position before. We arranged a time for me to come into the office and meet with him and the VP of Sales in person. I met with each of them for about 30-40 minutes. In speaking with the VP of Sales, it became apparent that he had no intention of hiring someone from the outside for this position. He said he couldn't wrap his head around how he could hire a manager who hasn't sold Wordstream before. I tried sell him on what I could bring to the table and how I would approach that challenge - but again it was obvious is not planning on hiring from the outside. I'm not sure why I was brought in at all, as it's pretty clear I have not sold at Wordstream before. Overall, a frustrating experience.

Interview Questions

• What's your pitch? Who are you and what are you looking for?   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at WordStream (Boston, MA) in December 2013.

Interview

Pretty straight forward 1 phone interview and 2 in person interviews... one with the CEO. A good group of people.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really unexpected if you just know why you want the position and what makes you think you would be a valuable addition to the company.   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at WordStream (New York, NY).

Interview

2 phone interviews:

First interview was normal. 30 minute phone screening with the HR hiring manager. She was extremely nice, informative, and easy to discuss necessary information with. Additionally, she provided a helpful follow up email about a second interview with the VP of marketing

Second interview was another phone call with the a manager in marketing. Tougher but was not awful. Asked mostly about my job and what I do. Interviewer was intimidating though. Not a nice flow of conversation like before.

Sent 2 follow up emails after that second phone call and although I did not expect to get an in-person interview I never heard back. Not a positive experience with wordstream after that initial call.