WordStream Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Product Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at WordStream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy, Transparency, Culture, People, Accessibility of executive team.

Cons

None come to mind.

Advice to Management

Keep fostering your culture and transparency as the company grows.

"Account Executive"

I worked at WordStream full-time

Pros

Great upside on commission for top performers, product is great at what it does, sale is very numbers based and completely custom to the client. Plenty of strong sales leader to develop from.

Cons

The AdWords platform can be tricky to get up to speed on quickly.

3. "Great place to work"

I worked at WordStream full-time

Pros

WordStream was a wonderful place to work. The culture was great, the people were great, and the leadership was great.

Cons

WordStream was small when I started and of course there were growing pains with the growth that the company was experiencing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

4. "Great place to work"

I have been working at WordStream full-time

Pros

Awesome sales team. all around great people to spend 40-50 hours a week with. Management is supportive and transparent.

Cons

Not a lot to be honest

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

"Good people, decent product but poor moral."

Pros

Great people, fun place to work.

Cons

Poor management. Depending on the department, career progression very much depends on who you know not what you know.

Advice to Management

With such a small company it should be easy to get everyone on the same page, but it's not happening. Feels very much like departments are competing against each other rather than working together. company Information should be shared more readily within the different departments.

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at WordStream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bright people. Excellent product and the company is well respected in the market. Good mix of start up vibe and established company. Overall I like the people, product and direction of WordStream.

The best complement I can pay is I generally enjoy going to work.

Cons

Comp is on the lower side. It takes a while to ramp up in this particular sales role. This expectation is not established during the interview process. Therefore full quota is difficult to start. The same seasoned reps make full quota every month however I like it enough to stick it out and build the pipeline to get there.

Considering the above you should be prepared for a potentially lean first year. However, I have turned down jobs that pay considerably more because it's a stimulating environment with long term potential.

In sales "trust based" vacation feels like don't take a vacation.

Advice to Management

Need to find that sweet spot on units and revenue. More reps means less leads which makes the units portion more difficult. I do trust this will be addressed. Otherwise I like the overall direction and wouldn't hesitate to refer people to work here or employ the product.

"Great Company For Young People"

I have been working at WordStream full-time

Pros

Good people and some good leadership
    Lots of investment in employee happiness
    Competitive pay

Cons

At times can feel like being back in college (not necessarily a con depending on your preference)
    Great advancement potential for jr candidates, not so much for people with experience
    Too concerned with being "cool"

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at WordStream (Less than a year)

Pros

Mid-sized company with a startup feel. Lots of transparency, great location right near the Prudential center.

Cons

Not many complaints aside from pay being on the lower side at least for my specific role, and depending on your manager growth can feel difficult to achieve.

Advice to Management

Keep culture as a priority, create more growth incentives.

"Great company overall, but not a good product or sales comp"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at WordStream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at WordStream for close to a year.

The company culture was really good. The people were great to work with.

The marketing WordStream does is very good (as it should be since they sell marketing software). A lot of reps complain about the leads but I think that's ridiculous. They're not all great leads but overall I think there's a great flow and reps shouldn't feel so entitled, expecting a ton of low-hanging-fruit leads.

The sales cycle is really fast so you get a lot of experiencing demoing the software and closing quick. It's awesome to set up a call with a prospect and close the deal in the same day, right on the demo.

The CEO is smart and open with the company. We had monthly meetings where he went over numbers (like lead volume, sales, and churn) and gave us updates on major company initiatives.

We had fun company outings too, like a cruise in Boston harbor and renting out the Boston aquarium.

Cons

You DO NOT get paid on everything you close. This is easily the worst thing about doing sales at WordStream, and they will not tell you this in the interview. I very specifically asked how the compensation plan works in my interview and this particular detail was left out of the explanation. The reality is you need to hit a percentage of your revenue and unit goal to get paid any commission. A lot of reps saw nothing month over month. That doesn't seem right to me.

The product is decent for people that have absolutely no clue what they're doing with AdWords but overall it's not very good. If a friend were trying to do AdWords for his business, I would recommend he either read a book on the subject or hire an agency before buying WordStream's software to help.

Advice to Management

Change the compensation plan for sales reps or at least be candid in the interviews. Keep working on the product but don't worry so much about being just OK in a lot of areas. Focus on being really good in one or two.

WordStream Response

Oct 27, 2015

Thanks for your feedback. To be fully transparent (one of our core values), if a rep cannot hit 60% of their quota, you are correct, there is no payment of commission (this used to be 75% - we... More

"Great Company, Low Pay"

Current Employee - Management in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Management in Boston, MA

I have been working at WordStream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many positives. Highly intelligent employees, recognized world-wide for thought leadership, work with google, microsoft, facebook. Incredible exposure to paid search marketing. Well funded, rapid growth, this is the tip of the iceberg.

Cons

Been here for several years and seen the company grow and change. I've been through highs and lows and seen a lot. This is an amazing place to be, but only if they can figure out the compensation model. Certain departments are paid very well, others are dramatically lower than market value. It's causing top talent to leave, and more turnover is coming unless it's sorted out quickly. Management level is almost unanimously underpaid. It's unfortunate because there are so many other positives that could take up an entire book...

Advice to Management

Proactively retain your top talent or it will go by the wayside. Much of which can't be replaced.

WordStream Response

Oct 27, 2015

Thanks for your feedback. We hired a Director of People & Performance (Human Resources) just last month to make sure we retain and attract the very best talent. The company is also very structured... More