WordStream Reviews | Glassdoor

WordStream CEO Ralph J Folz
Ralph J Folz

1. "Great place to work"

I worked at WordStream full-time

Pros

WordStream was a wonderful place to work. The culture was great, the people were great, and the leadership was great.

Cons

WordStream was small when I started and of course there were growing pains with the growth that the company was experiencing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

2. "Great place to work"

I have been working at WordStream full-time

Pros

Awesome sales team. all around great people to spend 40-50 hours a week with. Management is supportive and transparent.

Cons

Not a lot to be honest

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

"Good people, decent product but poor moral."

Pros

Great people, fun place to work.

Cons

Poor management. Depending on the department, career progression very much depends on who you know not what you know.

Advice to Management

With such a small company it should be easy to get everyone on the same page, but it's not happening. Feels very much like departments are competing against each other rather than working together. company Information should be shared more readily within the different departments.

"Great Company For Young People"

I have been working at WordStream full-time

Pros

Good people and some good leadership
    Lots of investment in employee happiness
    Competitive pay

Cons

At times can feel like being back in college (not necessarily a con depending on your preference)
    Great advancement potential for jr candidates, not so much for people with experience
    Too concerned with being "cool"

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at WordStream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bright people. Excellent product and the company is well respected in the market. Good mix of start up vibe and established company. Overall I like the people, product and direction of WordStream.

The best complement I can pay is I generally enjoy going to work.

Cons

Comp is on the lower side. It takes a while to ramp up in this particular sales role. This expectation is not established during the interview process. Therefore full quota is difficult to start. The same seasoned reps make full quota every month however I like it enough to stick it out and build the pipeline to get there.

Considering the above you should be prepared for a potentially lean first year. However, I have turned down jobs that pay considerably more because it's a stimulating environment with long term potential.

In sales "trust based" vacation feels like don't take a vacation.

Advice to Management

Need to find that sweet spot on units and revenue. More reps means less leads which makes the units portion more difficult. I do trust this will be addressed. Otherwise I like the overall direction and wouldn't hesitate to refer people to work here or employ the product.

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at WordStream (Less than a year)

Pros

Mid-sized company with a startup feel. Lots of transparency, great location right near the Prudential center.

Cons

Not many complaints aside from pay being on the lower side at least for my specific role, and depending on your manager growth can feel difficult to achieve.

Advice to Management

Keep culture as a priority, create more growth incentives.

"Great Company, Low Pay"

Current Employee - Management in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Management in Boston, MA

I have been working at WordStream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many positives. Highly intelligent employees, recognized world-wide for thought leadership, work with google, microsoft, facebook. Incredible exposure to paid search marketing. Well funded, rapid growth, this is the tip of the iceberg.

Cons

Been here for several years and seen the company grow and change. I've been through highs and lows and seen a lot. This is an amazing place to be, but only if they can figure out the compensation model. Certain departments are paid very well, others are dramatically lower than market value. It's causing top talent to leave, and more turnover is coming unless it's sorted out quickly. Management level is almost unanimously underpaid. It's unfortunate because there are so many other positives that could take up an entire book...

Advice to Management

Proactively retain your top talent or it will go by the wayside. Much of which can't be replaced.

WordStream Response

Oct 27, 2015

Thanks for your feedback. We hired a Director of People & Performance (Human Resources) just last month to make sure we retain and attract the very best talent. The company is also very structured ... More

"Great company overall, but not a good product or sales comp"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at WordStream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at WordStream for close to a year.

The company culture was really good. The people were great to work with.

The marketing WordStream does is very good (as it should be since they sell marketing software). A lot of reps complain about the leads but I think that's ridiculous. They're not all great leads but overall I think there's a great flow and reps shouldn't feel so entitled, expecting a ton of low-hanging-fruit leads.

The sales cycle is really fast so you get a lot of experiencing demoing the software and closing quick. It's awesome to set up a call with a prospect and close the deal in the same day, right on the demo.

The CEO is smart and open with the company. We had monthly meetings where he went over numbers (like lead volume, sales, and churn) and gave us updates on major company initiatives.

We had fun company outings too, like a cruise in Boston harbor and renting out the Boston aquarium.

Cons

You DO NOT get paid on everything you close. This is easily the worst thing about doing sales at WordStream, and they will not tell you this in the interview. I very specifically asked how the compensation plan works in my interview and this particular detail was left out of the explanation. The reality is you need to hit a percentage of your revenue and unit goal to get paid any commission. A lot of reps saw nothing month over month. That doesn't seem right to me.

The product is decent for people that have absolutely no clue what they're doing with AdWords but overall it's not very good. If a friend were trying to do AdWords for his business, I would recommend he either read a book on the subject or hire an agency before buying WordStream's software to help.

Advice to Management

Change the compensation plan for sales reps or at least be candid in the interviews. Keep working on the product but don't worry so much about being just OK in a lot of areas. Focus on being really good in one or two.

WordStream Response

Oct 27, 2015

Thanks for your feedback. To be fully transparent (one of our core values), if a rep cannot hit 60% of their quota, you are correct, there is no payment of commission (this used to be 75% - we ... More

"Supportive, Innovative, Agile, Positive Moral and More..."

I have been working at WordStream full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

WordStream sees value in their employees which is huge to me. I was hired back in August at 18 weeks pregnant. Most companies would shy away (even though illegal, it's hard to prove during the interview process) from recruiting a pregnant employee knowing that they’d need to take a maternity leave soon. But not WordStream. They support employees with families and my experience from day 1 through returning from maternity leave couldn't have been better. I never felt pressured nor did ever feel alienated because of the pregnancy, and the support from my team and boss was way more than I expected. I have been treated like every other employee here and that's what I had hoped. In fact, I returned from leave with praises from my boss from day one about the transition. I believe this type of treatment is rare to find in the workplace today and I am bringing this up first because it sets the stage for all things great about this company. It helps drive long term loyalty and productiveness from its' employees.

The environment – as another reviewer mentioned, “WordStream is neither a bootlegged startup, nor a super-corporate cube farm. We're in that perfect sweet spot. ” and I will second this. I have previously worked for both and am really happy with the spot WordStream is at currently but also looking forward to seeing it develop further. Everyone has an opportunity to grow and help shape the company - input matters and ideas are considered. Voices are heard. Team members are supportive, smart, innovative, and motivating. Morale is great. Everyone brings something interesting and unique to the table in their skillset and background which helps drive and shape things internally. There are many social events to facilitate mingling among different departments and overall togetherness. Also, there are many perks similar to other companies and startups in the area (but I don’t think you need to know of those little things because those aren't the things that will drive you to get out of bed in the morning to go to a job you love). They are just icing on the cake. This is an environment/company that you will want to come to everyday and be a part of.

Management – I trust them. I believe that they put the safety and the lives of the people in the organization first. They treat us like human beings. They know the industry, they are innovators, smart and agile people. They are true leaders. They COMMUNICATE with us about all things you can imagine (the future of the company, the industry, internal processes and projects, etc), and they remember things about you personally and professionally. They praise you and support you in every which way and I believe that too goes a long way.

Cons

It's not WordStream's fault that I live where I do and that the office is where it is, but my only con is that the office is off of the E line. The E line is very unreliable sometimes and granted management is completely understanding for tardiness situations, it's just a pain in the butt that you can't rely on it if you have meetings and what not that you care to attend (because as I mentioned previously, you will care to attend and be on time for the meetings for the mentally stimulating conversations, ideas and more). If you drive, walk, bike (or heck, take any other line to Copley and walk) then you don't have to worry about it!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

11. "Great place to learn, grow, and be challenged"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at WordStream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are some of the smartest I've ever worked with. A truly impressive collection of diverse talent, from engineering, to marketing, to sales, to customer support. The leadership team is very involved and invested, and the executives are incredibly approachable. There are social activities that you can be involved in or skip. No pressure either way. You can be a loner or a joiner or somewhere in between and you'll still be welcome.

Cons

As with any small and growing company, there are some pain points. There's a lot of work, a lot of demands, and a lot of change.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome communication!