YES Prep Public Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at YES Prep Public Schools

3.7

Special Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at YES Prep Public Schools (Houston, TX) in April 2018.

Interview

They send you a sample lesson 24-48 hours before "Finalist Day". They only give you 20 minutes to deliver a lesson plan. After you have a interview and met other teachers.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you handle discipline?   1 Answer
    • Asked a question about calling a parent and how you would respond to the student and the parent.   Answer Question

Math Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at YES Prep Public Schools.

Interview

I was invited to a recruitment event through my university where I met several school principals ("leaders") from the district and HR reps. I had a short interview there and, since I was interested, then had to fill out their online application. The application is quite long and involves several short essays. Then, I was invited to do a sample teaching lesson at a particular campus. Finally, I had to return to the same campus to interview with that school's leadership.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at YES Prep Public Schools (South Houston, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

The process is very long. Just to apply online you have to complete long essay questions. Then they do a phone interview which is about 30 minutes. Once I was called for face to face interview, the school I interviewed with required me to stay on campus all day to observe a bunch of different teachers. In addition to that you are interviewed by a panel of people AND you have to teach a 30 minute lesson on the subject that you are interviewing for. After your lesson, they kind of critique you and ask you how it went and you discuss what could have gone better. After your lesson and being there ALL DAY, they ask you more interview questions. It is a very long day. They also made me role play with the principal. She pretended to be a parent of a child that wasn't behaving well in class. That was challenging for me as I am looking to change careers from Finance to Education and did not know how to approach this. Overall the process was very challenging but again I am changing careers. To me it was over kill because I went through all of that and still didn't get hired! The school "appears" to really want to help the students though and everyone was very polite and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Please describe a time when you were a student of your own failure. What specific insight from this experience has shaped your own development? Describe a time when you questioned an established practice or thought within an organization. Question about quantity or quality of work. Would you submit poor work just to meet a deadline or ask for additional time? Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at YES Prep Public Schools (Houston, TX) in July 2018.

Interview

The initial interview process is a video screening where you are given a few questions to answer. You get to practice your answer to each question and time to think about your response. You also get a few days to complete the video interview segment of their application process.

Interview Questions

• Different scenarios and how you would handle them; Questions pertaining to the mission of the school system   Answer Question

Middle School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at YES Prep Public Schools (Houston, TX) in December 2012.

Interview

The interview process includes a screening, a behavioral interview over the phone, an in person interview that includes the delivery of a lesson plan to a group of students. The screening is very simple. The recruiter will call you and ask you a few questions about your job history and if you have the ability to obtain an official copy of your college transcripts. If you qualify, they will schedule you for an over the phone behavioral interview with a second recruiter. In the behavioral interview, you will be asked a series of questions about what you expect to encounter in a classroom.You will be asked about a time you went over and beyond. You will be asked why you want to teach for them. It is best to demonstrate that you have a desire to teach poor kids, that you love to work long hours. Be sure that you know how to answer behavioral questions and prove you are a leader. If you pass the behavioral interview, you will be selected to interview for their school district. A school director contacts you and puts you in contact with two teachers. You are expected to show that you know how to work as a team by the way that you interact with both teachers. You will have to create two lesson plans with them. The teachers provide you with the objective and their class sizes. On the day of the interview, you will arrive and be provided with a folder that contains lots of information.The in person interview includes a panel of teachers who ask behavioral and technical questions. They allow you to observe a few teachers' classes, prior to delivering your own lesson plans. They make you go to lunch duty and they discourage eating! They would rather you devote your 30 minute lunch to focusing on talking to kids who are in detention. At the end of the day, you are required to reflect on your teaching.They will interview you and ask you about what worked well and what failed. Unfortunately, they do not provide you with the criteria they are looking for in lesson plans. They just expect you to teach and don't tell you how they grade you. The teacher of the class you are in won't handle classroom discipline matters. Instead of asking her talkative and disruptive students to stop talking during your lesson plan, she expects you to handle them. They never inform you that they judge your classroom skills, or that the discipline of student will affect your performance. They have a programs to train new and label their new hires as new teachers, yet they expect you to handle the class like someone who has taught for them for a few years. Ask lots of questions before, during, and after the interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if parents complain about how much homework you give to students? What if students complain and say that you are unapproachable?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at YES Prep Public Schools (Houston, TX).

Interview

Very long and meticulous, but worth it!

Interview Questions

• Answering questions based upon teacher/parent interactions   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at YES Prep Public Schools (Houston, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

-Online application - Kind of lengthy. Consisted of 3 essays, cover letter, resume, recommendation letters.
    -Sample Teach and Finalist Interview (I had a 30 minute sample lesson, but many campuses are now switching to a 15 minute sample lesson) - You get to teach a lesson. YES Prep provides the objective. I think this is just to make sure you don't have an awful classroom presence. Later in the day, the people that observed your lesson interview you on how you think your lesson went and how you would improve it.
    -Behavioral Interview - Consisted of 5 interviewers

Interview Questions

• -How would you give a parent positive/negative praise? (Had to role play with the interviewer. Interviewer played the role of the parent.)   1 Answer
    • -Describe an issue you've had with a coworker and how you handled it.   1 Answer
    • -How would you prioritize your time between lesson planning, coordinating a grade level event and calling a parent?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at YES Prep Public Schools (Houston, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

After writing several essays and submitting them, I was invited to a phone interview. I passed the phone interview and went on to teach a sample lesson and participate in a group discussion activity. I then did a debrief with some of the school's leaders. A few days later, I got a call offering me my choice of teaching roles at a particular campus.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult piece of feedback you've ever received?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at YES Prep Public Schools (Houston, TX).

Interview

The process was actually very fast. I applied, had a phone interview and moved to the next step. I was invited to a summer interview where they recorded lesson plans and we were told we would hear something a few weeks later. Never heard anything. So I went online and applied again, I was asked to interview in person the next day and told to inform my references that they would be contacted afterwards. I was not offered a position

Interview Questions

• They were situational and behavioral. You need to prepare for these interviews they are long   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at YES Prep Public Schools in September 2018.

Interview

Following the video submission process, I was called to interview at a couple schools. Both interviews were very much similar. Since it could not be arranged for me to give a sample lesson in front of a live classroom, the senior leadership of the school who would conduct the panel interview afterward acted the roles of the students while I gave a sample lesson. This was fairly awkward and painful the first time, but the second time was much better and more at my level of interest. We discussed the role, my qualification, my priorities as an educator, and my fit for the school.

Interview Questions

• They will ask questions about how you will handle various situations and how long you think you could commit for.   Answer Question