York University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

York University Interview Questions

Updated Jul 10, 2017

2.6

Interview

I would NOT recommend applying. The application is cumbersome but not out of line compared to other academic jobs. They ask for 3 letters of rec, a teaching statement, research statement, cover letter, and CV.

Twice, I emailed the department chair, whose email was listed for more information about the job, with no response. Nor did I ever hear back about the status of my application or get any kind of rejection letter. As a well qualified candidate, I was disappointed in the rude lack of communication from the department and school.

IT Specialist Interview

Interview

HR phone interview, followed by phone interview by the hiring manager. Then a face to face with 3 team members. The interviews lasted for 3-4 hours. They included both technical and generic questions.

Temporary Employee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at York University.

Interview

Applied online to the York University Temporary Agency (YUTA), sent in a resume and cover letter. Received an email a week or so later, saying that I made it to the next stage and a link to a webpage where I had to answer a few follow-up questions. Received another email after that requesting interview with their HR reps. Went to the interview, the HR rep looked at my resume, and after a little bit of discussion quickly scheduled a following interview to book a temporary position with one of their departments. Met with the HR reps for that department the next day, and received a job offer that same afternoon.

During my first interview, also had to complete a Microsoft Word, Excel and Typing test.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you have a conflict with a supervisor or co-worker?   Answer Question

Cashier Book Store Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at York University (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2016.

Interview

You have a one on one interview that is about 15 minutes with just question answer. You get a lot of simple questions mostly cashier related and costumer service related. As it was a temporary 2 week job when the school time textbook rush was in they needed a lot of staff. Just emphasis that you are available and can work at a fast pace.

Interview Questions

• Describe how to handle an angry costumer?   1 Answer

Manager (Non Academic) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at York University (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

3 people-panel: Director of the Program, Current Manager and HR Specialist. Questions were read from the script by each person. After that I did a prepared presentation related to the role.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very typical e.g. "Why did you apply?" "What is your experience in this field?" etc.   1 Answer

Global Assistant, Exchange and Visiting Students Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at York University (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by a panel of four people. The first person was the representative from the HR Department, while other three were working at the Department that I applied for. I was asked to create and deliver a presentation. The overall interview process was not too difficult. They asked many questions related to the position. However, due to the high number of qualified applicants, you need to do extremely well during an interview. There is also a potential second round interview.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us about any current events/situation that may impact education locally and internationally?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at York University (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online and received email stating that one assessment need to complete. I did same day and received mail after 2 days for in person interview. I successfully attended in person interview and received one more email after couple of days for requested references. My references gave them good about me in next day. But still I dint receive any news yet. Am really waiting for my job. Please can you some help me in this matter. How long will take time to get good news, and if they requested references means everything going good or not?

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at York University (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

One interview with the Supervisor and hiring decision will be notified in a few days. Interview felt like a government interview - asked about technical skills and and knowledge based.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at York University (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

It was usual, very theoretical. Person asked the debit credit wisdom questions that are usually asked from accountant. Genuine and straight forward. It’s a public institution so lot of work was mentioned upfront. Overall fair process and honest interview. It was usual, very theoretical. Person asked the debit credit wisdom questions that are usually asked from accountant. Genuine and straight forward. It’s a public institution so lot of work was mentioned upfront. Overall fair process and honest interview.

IT Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North York, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at York University (North York, ON (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

It was quite long. I felt nervous and also i felt like most of the questions were quite unecessary to be asked. I really wished I could get the job though.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if someone spills water in their laptop? How would you help?   Answer Question