cPanel Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 10, 2017

3.2

UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sugar Land, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at cPanel (Sugar Land, TX).

Interview

Was initially rejected, but after a referral I was able to get an attempt at a pretty simple JavaScript program. Finished the programs and turned it in. Never heard back from anyone. Followed up with them twice but still no answer. Very unprofessional should at least have the decency to reply to your applicants

Interview Questions

• Add form / input validation to the registrationform div with Javascript. Please do not use a JavaScript library to do form validation   1 Answer

WHMCS Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at cPanel (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online for the remote position and got a response within a week or so via email.

They sent me a questionnaire with mock questions from customers or potential questions a customer or new customer could ask. They were extremely easy questions for me considering I've worked with and know WHMCS and the product and I know what resources to use as I've been in customer support and web development for 15 years now.

They then contacted me within another couple days wanting to setup a phone interview. It was very easy as well, laid back and there was an introduction to whmcs, a couple more mock questions over the phone, general overview of the shift and what they were looking for, and then some pretty general questions regarding PHP, my background, etc.

They then followed up within another week with an offer. I had to decline the offer because of the pay, which wasn't really that good and unwillingness to negotiate anything more. I have found out that I am probably way overqualified for the position pay wise, anyways.

There's nothing bad I want to say otherwise because everyone I was talking to and dealing with, was straight forward and honest and they were replying quickly and professionally! My only frustration is that this would have been the dream job for myself if the pay was right because I highly believe in the product and it seems like their hiring process is right on target and knows what they want, as well as does not waste any of your time.

thank you!

Interview Questions

• What have you done with PHP 7?   1 Answer
    • Can you name some PHP functions?   1 Answer

NIX Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at cPanel (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

The first interview was a phone interview consisting of some Linux questions. What is a kernel panic and what Linux commands do you know.

The second interview was on-site. You are invited to sit at a laptop, connect to a server, and work three issues. These problems are relatively elementary but you are connected to a big screen where two or more are watching every keystroke, every reference that you use. This made me nervous. I can work issues all day long. On the big screen for someone on the autistic spectrum is a nightmare. I ended up just calling it a day.

Interview Questions

• A MySQL server starts up with an error. Figure out what is causing the error and get it started properly.   1 Answer
    • Trying to install a package. Gives an error. Figure out why it isn't working   Answer Question
    • Exim returns an error. Figure out why.   Answer Question

Director of Software Development Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at cPanel in August 2016.

Interview

I applied at their website on a Saturday morning and received an automated email saying that a real person would be reviewing my resume soon and I would receive an update to my status. I was surprised to receive a request for a phone interview later that same day.

The phone interview was 5 days later with the current position holder who was moving to another role. He immediately read from a script about their company which I had already read on their website several times while learning about their company and culture. Fair enough. From their, it was a series of fairly off the cuff questions based on how the conversation was flowing, which I thought was a good interview style overall. This was my first interview in many, many years and my nerves showed. I knew about halfway through, I was not what they were looking for. I received an automated email 30 minutes later that my resume was no longer under consideration. Again, fair enough. Good experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Do you use Android or iPhone? Why did you choose it?   2 Answers
    • What would be some of the things you would do as you took over the role of managing such a large number of direct reports?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at cPanel (Houston, TX).

Interview

Everyone involved in the interview process (there were four) seemed aloof and disinterested in what I had to say. I left there feeling as if I just spent time with four, techie snobs. Suggestion to those seeking employment: Take your skill set elsewhere. As with most small businesses, they have no oversight regarding best practices in talent acquisition. I suspect many other areas of this organization suffer from lack of oversight as well.

Interview Questions

• Typical CSR interview questions. Manager and others in interview were on laptops during the interview, which came across as people lacking in interpersonal and soft skills - traits an organization would want in a customer service representative. Ironic, huh?   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at cPanel (Houston, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

If your CV get selected you will be getting email for the phone round. The phone round is simple. If you are selected you will be called for the face to face round at the Huston office.

Usually small panel (for me it was 2 , later joined by one more guy)

Interview Questions

• Basic linux question like viewing of file ... changing directory .. getting the name of current working dir   1 Answer
    • f2f : write a perl program that iterate from 10 to 1 and print "tic" when odd and "toe" when even   Answer Question
    • f2f: what is kernal panic?
             How you will check the fault in the inbuild command is giving error? eg cd is not working...
             System log   Answer Question
    • f2f : They gave me cpanel page for email config to write some functional test cases. Go ahead lot of demo of cpanel are available .. so have a look and use them for writing test case   Answer Question
    • f2f : one question was odd .. what will you gonna do if the developer find a bug in the relase that was fixed to retest   Answer Question

Linux Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at cPanel (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

it was pretty straight forward. I applied, got an email to schedule the interview and i got a call that lasted about 30mins. Yes, just apply, be close to your email and watch youtube videos about cpanel.

Interview Questions

• What command could I use to see a listing of all the current processes running?   2 Answers
    • What command would i use to see all the connections to the apache webserver?   1 Answer
    • what three things would you recommend to secure a new server?   1 Answer
    • List 4-5 linux shell commands that you are familiar with:   2 Answers
    • what kind of experience do you have with a virtualization work   Answer Question
    • what are dns records and what do they do?   Answer Question
    • what is a kernel panic and why does it happen   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at cPanel (Houston, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

A thorough and creative process. It began with short answer/essay style questions on the application. My application was reviewed quickly and I heard back the next day to set up an interview. Once the interview was scheduled, there were specific questions provided so I could prep for the interview. I was also asked to bring a portfolio of my work. The first interview was with the team of 5 people including the Chief Business Officer. They did a round of each asking a couple questions and allowed me to ask questions. At the end of the interview, I was provided a take home assignment to be completed within 48 hours. The assignment was to create an email to convert their trial customers. Prior to completing this, I was asked to come in for a second interview. The second interview was to consist of a game of my choosing. No parameters other than that it needed to be HR appropriate (no cards against humanity). I brought a game with me and was pretty much asked to lead the group in playing, determining when to stop, etc. Then I was able to ask more questions of the team.

I received an email about a week later informing me that I was not chosen for the position.

Systems Engineering Department Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at cPanel (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

A phone screen with two members of technical management, followed up by an on-site interview a week or so later with those same people along with other members of the department and someone who was "shadowing" one of them that day.

I needed to reschedule the on-site interview due to illness, and both the HR representative and the interviewer were accommodating and gracious; rescheduling did not cause any problems.

Interview Questions

• Question related to HAProxy / Apache/NGINX gateway timeouts   Answer Question

Customer Service Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at cPanel in July 2015.

Interview

Filled out an application, two weeks later got an email they wanted to set up a phone interview from the executive assistant. I was very excited, and amped for this phone screening.

They rescheduled on me two times before they finally called (once the manager was sick, another, they just rescheduled ten minutes prior to the scheduled time). The time they finally set up to call me, I was all set up, and I didn't receive a phone call until 40 minutes after the scheduled time. I was unable to answer because they were late and my time is valuable.

At this point I was already not taking them seriously. I did not reach out to them anymore, and they had the executive assistant email me and ask me to accept another phone call. I accepted, and they called me 10 minutes late. I answered, and it lasted about 20 minutes.

They failed to inform applicants that this position would be required to work weekends. The phone interview was obvious that I was on speaker phone (with two managers), in which I do not like because it sounds funny. I could sometimes not hear them due to the quality of sound. The questions were very broad and open ended. They did not have a lot of feedback when I would answer, literally would say "okay, great" after each answer.

When they asked if I would be okay working weekends, I let them know I would love to meet them in person to discuss the position further (AKA: I'd like to meet everyone before 100% committing to weekends because I AM a reliable person and don't just commit and quit a week later), and all they did was reread the job description to me (in which, I had basically memorized over the past week of reschedules, and that I had printed out in front of me), and let me know I could ask anything I wanted over the phone (AKA: they don't care to meet me).

I was somewhat disappointed with the process as I have old colleagues and friends that work for this company. I was truly looking forward to hopefully start my career there.

I understand not being like corporate businesses, but there seemed to be a lack of structure as far as the interview process goes, which speaks volumes.

Coming from someone who has HR, Customer Service, and Coordinating experience, I was not impressed. Hoping the other departments of this company have a better process, otherwise, they're going to have a hard time keeping good employees.

Interview Questions

cPanel Response

Aug 13, 2015 – Chief Business Officer

We sincerely apologize for any and all bad impressions that you were left with after the preliminary interview process.    Our phone interviews are generally short and used as a screening process to... More