nLIGHT Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

Sort:

Optical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at nLIGHT (Vancouver, WA) in September 2012.

Interview

Require a prepared presentation. A lot of emphasis is placed on how much care and attention is put into the oral presentation. Then it was several hours of 1:1 with different people which was wearing. Everyone was positive and pleasant. But I was tired by the end of it.

Interview Questions

• Usually detail technical questions to probe knowledge depth and breadth. There is no standardized questioning. But there are also cultural questions such as what was the most difficult interpersonal challenge you had in an organization and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much negotiation. It was not the best of economic times.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at nLIGHT in December 2015.

Interview

Took a long time (over a month) to interview and then the nLight company decided they did not have the budget to hire the position that was being interviewed for and said they would reach out when they did. Have not heard back.

Material Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at nLIGHT (Hillsboro, OR) in November 2010.

Interview

I only had one interview and was hired on as a temp employee. I was then converted into a full-time employee. I felt that the company recruiter did not do a good job of vetting resumes, before sending in potential employees for an interview.

Negotiation

I wasnt negotiating very hard, because i was hired as a temp.

Vice President of Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at nLIGHT (Vancouver, WA) in April 2010.

Interview

The interview process seemed to be chaotic -many of the people shceduled to interview with me didn't make the scheduled interview. It would appear that this is the culture in this company.

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at nLIGHT (Vancouver, WA) in January 2010.

Interview

Tough questions - fun people. Great feedback at the end. (That was rare)
    It was a refreshing difference from other places where I've interviewed.
    The HR Director and I both agreed at the end that it wasn't a match, but I am even more hopeful that someday I will get the chance as their needs grow.

It was a good experience for me.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you faced a dilemma at work and how did you respond to it?   1 Answer

Sales Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at nLIGHT (Vancouver, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

Terrible. This company is so severely unorganized and to this day does not have the courage to let me know I didn't get a position. Just say it!

They flew me out for an in-person interview after a phone screen and phone interview went really well. The in-person interview was, hands down, one of the best experiences I have had.

Now the sucky part. I interviewed in mid-June and was told a decision would be reached by the end of the month. Before end of month comes, I interview with VP of department over the phone after my in-person interview, which felt even more promising. He tells me he is confident someone will reach out to me within a week.

End of month comes around, and when I reach out, I'm told that they are trying to schedule a final phone interview with upper management and he's super busy so it's difficult. I wait 3 weeks and they STILL do not manage to schedule 30 measly minutes (or, hell, even 15 would do it) for me to speak to the guy.

I email again for a status update. Now they notify me that the position's requirements are being reassessed and that this may in turn lead to two separate positions. Great! I think. Higher likelihood I may be able to get something. I'm told that they will keep me posted on what happens.

I wait 3 more weeks, ask for another status update, and am NOW told that they are STILL in the process of interviewing. IN AUGUST.

I give up, Nlight. Why do you so unprofessionally flip-flop on next steps? I could have (and HAVE, as a matter of fact) secured and completed probationary period for a job during your ridiculously long decision-making process.

Don't bother with these people.

Manufacturing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at nLIGHT (Vancouver, WA) in December 2017.

Interview

Online application. Telephone follow-up to schedule interview. Email requiring the same information from the online application reentered into a different form. Email requiring an NDA to be accepted that you will not share the interview process with anyone. Once you arrive at nLight in Vancouver for the interview, be aware that there is not any parking available anywhere -- I mean anywhere. Plan to park blocks away if you can find a spot and walk along the roadway in the industrial park. You have to be buzzed-in at the front door. Once inside, you will need to provide your photo ID for a guest pass. You will have another pre-employment form to fill out asking why you want to work there. This is followed by a brief skills test. This is follow by two sets of interviews. You are placed in a room and interviewed in two sessions by two sets of three supervisors. In my interview, the first set of managers were professional and on point. The second set of managers was dominated by one female manager speaking over and controlling the questions not permitting the other managers to speak. She was very combative and unprofessional toward them and toward me -- the one being interviewed. Due to her attitude, should I be offered the job, I will decline it based upon her combative attitude. I could never work with such a unprofessional person.

Interview Questions

• Do you think your age and extensive work experience will be a negative factor in being able to perform your job here since you won't be in a manger position?   1 Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at nLIGHT (Vancouver, WA).

Interview

Half hour phone screen followed by a half day interview with 5-6 different people. No one I talked to was on the same page about the position. After the interview I was told I'd be receiving an offer but the job I interviewed for was split into two. I was to wait another week for a formal offer that never came. The whole thing was an embarrassing waste of time.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at nLIGHT (Vancouver, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Was referred to two managers looking to hire a process engineer. Had an in person screening interview which involved lots of behavioral questions from 5 different people to see if I was the right candidate for the company.
    Was invited back the following week for a technical presentation of work I had done in the past. The ppt presentation was about 25 minutes followed by questions from their engineering team. This presentation was followed by several 30-45 minute 1:1 interviews with about 6-7 individuals.

Interview Questions

• Describe conflict situations that have been in and how you reacted?
      Why do you think you will be a good fit for nlight? - It is important to prepare well for this question.   Answer Question

Test Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at nLIGHT (Vancouver, WA) in June 2018.

Interview

Had 45 minute individual interviews with about six different people. Hiring manager took me out to lunch. There were hardly any technical questions asked. It didn't seem like they knew what they were looking for.