A9.com Reviews

Updated Jan 30, 2021

3.8
A9.com General Manager Brian Pinkerton (no image)
Brian Pinkerton
Pros
  • "Job security and work-life balance(in 11 reviews)

• "people are smart, offices are nice in downtown palo alto(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Good because we get to utilize some of Amazon's resources, bad because Amazon is not as personal as A9(in 7 reviews)

• "Office space is too crammed, only 2 buildings near each other in Palo Alto, sharing one office room with 3-4 people(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Best in the World

Oct 24, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Job security and work-life balance

Cons

Company Gives too many salary hikes for employee. Employees are becoming richer.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Like working at a startup

Dec 16, 2020 - Software Developer Engineer Intern in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Startup-esque environment that fosters relationships with team members

Cons

Office politics due to influence from Amazon

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Cool enclave within Amazon but changed in my last year

Jul 7, 2020 - Systems Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Felt like a dynamic and scrappy tech company despite being within the Amazon umbrella.

Cons

Unique cultural institutions were dissolved over the last half of my employment there. A new leader was installed who was working with very aggressive corporate directives to purge established leadership.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great company

Jan 7, 2020 - Software Architect in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good team of people, constant knowledge, flexible work life balance

Cons

none that I can think of

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Average working experience

Nov 6, 2019 - Research Scientist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good working environment, nice location.

Cons

Working in small teams. Expensive housing

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Learn a lot

Feb 26, 2019 - Software Development Engineer-II in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Learning a lot while working here (ML, in particular)

Cons

Product management / high level project needs improvement.

7. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

getting worse

Jun 24, 2019 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

more amazon like after 2018

Cons

still have some free food

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Valuable experience, enjoyed my time

Feb 11, 2016 - Software Development Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Starting from my on-site interview and even before I started working, I felt like I was joining a family. In comparison, I currently work for a mega-corp nearby, and I felt like a cog in the machine starting from the interview. I enjoyed the projects I worked on. They were important to Amazon's business and allowed me to gain extremely valuable experience, both in terms of the types of projects and the technology I got to use. Technology is perfectly adequate to get your work done. Most people opt for the 15" MBP, and do most of their development on the laptop. The developer desktops are fairly underpowered, but most people barely use them (it's easier to just use an instance in the cloud and not bother with that desktop sitting under the desk). They upgraded the snacks in the summer of 2015, and they're quite good now. You get a nice selection of dried fruits and healthier snacks (excluding the fresh fruits, which run out quickly, the other snacks don't run out which is nice).

Cons

If you are not happy with your initial RSU package, you will feel under-payed since the policies are designed to make it hard to increase your pay quickly. Ultimately, comp is a function of the profits/revenue per employee and there's a small handful of companies that can pay higher.

6 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Quality Assurance Analyst

Jan 14, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good work life balance - Free snacks , free drinks , lot of internal events (Halloween, Chinese new year, Saint Patrick)

Cons

- No promotion or career path for QA analysts

10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

One of the best companies in Silicon Valley, highly recommend

Apr 15, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

1) very friendly and family-like atmosphere (not everyone feels this way, your mileage may vary, but it was true for me and it's true for many people) 2) location allows for lunch in Palo Alto downtown restaurants 3) 2 minutes walking from Palo Alto caltrain 4) very healthy work life balance for OK performers, also plenty of opportunities for running extra mile but unlike some other companies there's no peer pressure to actually run extra mile, people do it behind the scenes thanks to flexibility (next point) 5) a lot of flexibility in schedule: 80% of people work 9:30-6, but core business hours when meetings are scheduled are normally 11-4 (depending on a team). many teams allow working from home 1-2 days a week, depending on a project, etc. 6) unique high scale projects executed by very small workforce relative to how other companies solve similar problems (really an opportunity to contribute a lot and put cool stuff on your resume), little overhead and a lot of freedoms in getting things done, smart engineers. 7) local culture is different from Amazon's Seattle, there's some layer of isolation (good thing)

Cons

(some of it didn't apply to me personally, but I should highlight it anyway) 8) salary is competitive only to some point, it's bigger than most startups and mid-range companies but may be smaller than some large tech competitors can offer, 9) Amazon's motivation system (which unfortunately in place with the subsidiaries as well) is screwed in various ways: 9.1) reward loop may be anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 years from the moment you did something cool to the moment you actually receive that extra stock (annual perf process with new stock grant given with half a year delay, and this stock grant only vests in a year), 9.2) there's a punishment if Amazon stock goes up, your pending unvested shares seem to be regularly re-evaluated at current market rate, and for a new grant you only get a delta of how much you deserve minus how much you're already getting (this may be zero for high performers if stock has grew by a lot), 9.3) there's also a punishment if Amazon stock goes down - you just get less that year, because any new compensation for the difference will vest only a year later; based on my general observations, A9 probably does some tweaks to soften the effect of this stupid system, but it cannot completely dismiss the system; 10) probably due to the fact A9 is small and family-like, there's some notable variety in skills and personalities of managers in various groups; this, depending on your own personality and skills, may be beneficial for you or not so. 11) there are some gaps in common infrastructure such as source, build and deployment systems, which are outside of A9's control, and they either hurt productivity or require unwanted hacks or home-grown solutions, where instead the common infrastructure should get fixed.

20 people found this review helpful