ACOG Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "ACOG"

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at ACOG full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

ACOG has great benefits (including an 8% retirement contribution, no match required), a flexible work schedule (generally, although this depends on your supervisor), and a great mission. They do hire from within when they can.

Cons

Lack of transparency from leadership regarding salaries and steps to advance. Easier to move to a new position within the organization than it is to get promoted in original position.

2. "Good experience overall"

I worked at ACOG full-time

Pros

Encouraging and supportive environment, interesting opportunities within non-profit programming

Cons

Very slow paced work, overly bureaucratic at times

Advice to Management

Encourage more collaboration

3. "Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at ACOG full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a membership organization. Nice members, decent benefits - although competitiveness of benefits has gradually eroded in recent years. OK work-life balance, depending on level of position

Cons

Administration not as transparent as it could be, which fosters a general sense of distrust. The truth (or distortions of it) eventually comes out through the grapevine.

Advice to Management

It would be better for morale if executive staff were more forthcoming.

"Poor Communication and Expectations"

I worked at ACOG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of young people and a very friendly/social environment. The mission is great and different departments allow for flex schedules or teleworking. Accrue vacation time quickly.

Cons

Rules about who can flex or telework are arbitrary. Culture discourages personal responsibility for work getting done. Slow to embrace technology which would make work more efficient. General lack of communication about what should be done and who is responsible for it.

Advice to Management

Hold managers accountable for team satisfaction and work output.

"Not thrilled"

Former Employee - Mid-Level in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Mid-Level in Washington, DC

I worked at ACOG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A handful of good coworkers. An important mission to support women's health.

Cons

Arbitrary definitions/rules and lack of transparency on all levels prevent any meaningful growth (in title or salary) or understanding of policies. Lack of respect, kindness and recognition of contribution.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees. Break down meaningless barriers in terms of titles and roles. Be more transparent in all areas.

6. "Great Place!"

Pros

It is a great environment with a great co workers and atmosphere. Work hours are flexible

Cons

There is very little room for growth and a lack of leadership. Departments do not work together and there is a lack or communication between Vice Presidents

"Bad management"

Pros

High potential and diverse lower staff.

Cons

Bad management, no accountability, No one trusts human resources - colludes with senior managers and not of any help of employees

Advice to Management

Focus on improving management rather than sweeping under the rug. Nothing is going to work if employees are not happy.

"So much potential!"

Pros

Great group of people working to help women and babies.

Cons

People work in silos and upper management is stuck in their ways.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your employees and act on their suggestions

"Great Team!"

I have been working at ACOG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I find my job at ACOG challenging and rewarding. I also love working with colleagues who advocate for women's health. We work hard and I like working with people who are not just there for a 9 to 5 job. My supervisor and big boss work closely with us to align and achieve our team goals. The organization recently adopted goal-setting across all divisions, and many negative people (thankfully) left the organization in the last 12 months (see negative reviews below). Benefits, location, and work-life balance are excellent.

Over the last 12 months, there has been an influx of new employees and positivity. HR has been making efforts to bring employees from diverse divisions closer, e.g. through social events and by building an open dining room for lunch. I find that 90% of our staff is doing excellent work and is generally positive, and I look forward to what the future holds for us across all divisions.

Cons

Divisions divide employees and we're not 100% sure how other employees are spending their time, so employees who make the effort to introduce themselves can discover helpful information and resources. High-level decision makers are extremely busy and it's difficult sometimes to get their ear when needed. We are slowly replacing the "But we've always done it that way" phrase with "Let's try this now." There are a few bad apples who like to complain... but there are always a few in every group.

Advice to Management

Provide clear, structured and consistent direction to staff within a division. Find commonalities and projects between divisions to increase productivity and decrease costs. All staff could benefit from training or guidance on effective communication, including use of meetings and emails. Finally, it has been great that staff is being recognized for achievements and that ACOG leadership polled all staff last year and continues to organize quarterly all-hands meetings to ask our opinions and take a pulse on our work experience.

"Job was okay"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at ACOG (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are pretty good. The location was decent as well.

Cons

Not really any promotion potential. The work in my division was boring after a couple of years.

Advice to Management

Provide more growth opportunities for all staff