APMEX Reviews | Glassdoor

Kenneth Lewis

1. "Vault Employee"

Current Employee - Shipping and Receiving in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Shipping and Receiving in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at APMEX part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of fun cool people to be around while at work.

Cons

Long hours on your feet, standing and moving around.

Advice to Management

Make the vault employees feel more important.

Jan 6, 2017 – Culture and Internal Communications Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad that you have fun at APMEX and enjoy your co-workers. Our Operations team is an integral part of our company, the commitment to our customers is unmatched ... More

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Marketing in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at APMEX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. The high-paced job forced me to independently research and learn valuable hi-tech marketing practices without in-house support. Our marketing team practiced cutting edge technology in email marketig, social media, digital advertising, web interface and analytics; however, the behind-the-times CEO said, "Who is Google anyways? God?" My coworkers and I still laugh about comment made over 5 years ago.

Cons

Poor loyalty and cold-heartedness to hard-working, committed employees of the marketing department.

Advice to Management

Give your employees more respect, training and appreciation. They work hard only because they support their family-like coworkers, not management.

Jan 6, 2017 – Culture and Internal Communications Manager

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback. We’re glad that you were able to experience a great team and use cutting edge technology to assist your professional growth. We apologize that you ... More

3. "Great work environment, benefits, and opportunity for growth."

Current Employee - Business Development in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Business Development in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at APMEX (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with APMEX, Inc. for over three years, and have seen this company grow in more ways than one. The leadership at APMEX is ever-adapting to change, personnel, and the volatile market. In this fast paced environment it would be easy for anyone to lose sight of the vision and goal of the company to please the customers as well as the employees, but not our leadership. Our level of service to our Customers is impressive, and the dedication to satisfy employee moral is un-like any other - staff events, baseball games, fundraisers, raffle drawings, volunteer events, free lunches and floating holiday's are to name a few. We are also provided the most competitively priced benefit packages with sufficient coverage. The company also matches a reasonable percentage towards all qualifying employee's 401k. The location is in a very busy metropolitan-type area that would normally have workers scrambling for parking spots and reasonable rates, but APMEX provides free parking. APMEX is equipped to grow employees; I, myself, have experienced multiple promotions during my employment here at the American Precious Metals Exchange. I started in an entry level position and quickly found myself to have the option of moving up within the company in which I took full advantage of. In fact, during just one quarter APMEX internally promoted 12 individuals. Great company to work for.

Cons

Some positions, not all, call for additional work hours on top of the 40 hour work week. If interested in working here, be sure to ask as many questions as you'd like about the workload and hours, and communicate your needs as a candidate upfront. Free lunch is offered from Monday - Thursday, so make plans to bring lunch or eat somewhere close by (there are plenty of nice places to eat nearby).

Advice to Management

Continue to strive to maintain the Customer / Employee happiness balance. In Retail, the industry is like the Ocean, the company is a Vessel, employees are the Sails of the Vessel, and Leadership is the Frame and Mast. As the market heats up and cools down, so do the waves and the tide in this scenario: The Vessel (company) needs the Wind (customers) to fill the Sails (employees) to navigate through the sea. Without a stable Frame and Mast (leadership) to support the Sails (employees) the ship will not respond correctly to the Wind (customers), and the Vessel will either sink in the unstable waters or become lost. APMEX is a great Vessel to be a part of, and should continue to be with the continuous efforts to please both the Customers and Employees.

"Nice co-workers. Upper management has re-invented micro-managing and taken it to the highest levels I've ever heard of."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at APMEX full-time

Pros

Some (diminishing) perks. First mover status really benefited this organization but it's more recent years have been less innovative and daring.

Cons

Inability to push positive change. There is so much red tape for a company this small it's unreal. They will play it safe and fade away.

Advice to Management

Well respected employees are more productive. Or you can be like every other mediocre company that believes scrutiny from the top to the bottom is the only way to get anything accomplished.

"Great pay but save up because you can look on linked in and see the revolving door!"

I worked at APMEX full-time

Pros

Pay is excellent, Free lunch, and Free Parking. Interesting niche business to learn.

Cons

Not one meaningful conversation with anyone in upper management in my tenure there. It was a soul sucking experience. Fake smiles and pretend concern all around. Oh and they make employees fill out the positive reviews on here, Seriously!!!

Advice to Management

Realize that their is a real atmosphere of fear that runs throughout whole departments, especially since you fire before almost EVERY all employee meeting. It's a shame you do this to people. After I left a recruiter reached out on the apmex line on my resume, shook her head and said, "There really should be a website. I don't know why people still don't know about that place." Kindness in the public eye doesn't replace indifference to your employees.

Feb 9, 2016 – Human Resource Leader

It's unfortunate that you have this impression of the senior management team. Still, we respect the opinions and experience you express here. There is a concerted effort to energize the culture ... More

"It's a job"

Pros

Good pay, free lunch, decent benefits and nice people.

Cons

No advancement opportunities or loyalty. It's a job, not a career.

Advice to Management

Realize the power you have to affect your workers life's for good or bad.

Feb 9, 2016 – Human Resource Leader

We are proud to say 20 people were promoted into new positions in the third quarter of 2015, and 8 were promoted in the fourth quarter. APMEX remains an employer where you have the opportunity to ... More

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at APMEX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

APMEX is a great family-owned business with the expected values to match. I feel genuinely appreciated for who I am and the skills I bring to the business. Senior management consistently asks me how I'm doing and how my family is since they have not yet relocated with me. The size of the company (about 200) allows for desired changes to the customer experience that I recommend to be implemented quickly. Larger organizations can't turn on a dime like this. The IT department is whip smart, solutions oriented and helpful. Their support of the business is stellar and they are in-house! Lunch is provided M - R, which is nice. Food is always a nice perk!

Cons

The company has very high standards for employees. It can have us missing out on some great talent that may not have a degree. This is a trade off is looking for people who want a career path not just a job. This is also a very lean running machine. When there is no more bandwidth or additional hiring at the moment, the only option to process the workload is to work more hours.

Advice to Management

Keep celebrating milestones. Look for other things to celebrate as well when working the long hours. The extra meals provided certainly help. Random giveaways of some kind always brighten spirits. Perhaps gift cards for meals away from work or movie passes, things employees can do when their time is their own. It's always nice to get a perk on "the company dime" when you've been cranking out extra mandatory hours.

Sep 3, 2015 – Human Resource Leader

Thank you for your review! APMEX is a great place to learn different jobs and have a career. We will definitely look for more ways to celebrate milestones!

9. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Clerical in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Clerical in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at APMEX full-time

Pros

Free lunches, free parking, other freebies like Thunder games and give aways.

Cons

Communication of upper management to employees needs to improve. Work life to home life needs to improve.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees doing the grunt work. They need help.

"Product Management"

Pros

Diversity of the Daily Tasks is something that keeps employees engaged and encourages continuous growth. There is very much a family oriented culture, and some perks of the job provided by management (lunches, parking) that are free get overlooked.

Cons

The market can at times be slower, leading to less active days during the slow times. Vertical mobility isn't as prevalent as it is in other firms of our size, and it can be difficult to navigate job responsibilities when there can be conflicting messages at times.

May 29, 2015 – Human Resource Leader

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! Product Management is one of our busiest departments and we appreciate your comments. We do continue to work on introducing career paths for PM's ... More

"Fantastic hands-on internship"

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

My time interning at APMEX has been as enjoyable as it has educational. I learned an incredible amount and valued my time with the company so much, that after completing one internship, I was excited to be able to return for a second internship. Through these, I was given the ability to understand the industry, learn about the company and join a team of experts who work hard to be the best in their industry every day.

My internships were not filled with trivial tasks or a lot of busywork. Instead, I was given the opportunity to be included in tasks essential to the department and the company. While I was even given large and small projects to manage from beginning to end, I was always able to ask questions to learn about the task at hand, the company as a whole and the unique industry. The company and the people who work here continuously impress me with the way they evaluate and improve their business to remain at the forefront of their industry, and I am grateful for the experiences I have had with APMEX.

Cons

The industry is so unique that it takes some time to learn but everyone at the company is great at helping to understand how it works.

May 26, 2015 – Human Resource Leader

Our recruiting team has focused this year on upgrading and expanding our internship opportunities and experience and are very pleased your experience was positive! Thank you for taking the time to ... More