ARKRAY Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Satisfied Employee"

Current Employee - Professional in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Professional in Edina, MN

Pros

This is a great place to learn and grow laterally. I am learning everything I can at my level stretching to things I wouldn't be exposed to in a larger organization. Total employee count in the US is a little over 200 so organizationally, there aren't many management layers which makes upward growth difficult; My leader encourages my growth and if I want to learn something even outside our area, he is open to it and allows me to go to seminars or learn on the job.

Cons

When one employee is doing so many different things, it can feel chaotic at times. Given the small and flat nature of the organization, many work hours are required during peak project times. This is not management required in many cases, but for those of us that are self-motivated, we do it to get the project done on time.

Advice to Management

There are some excellent leaders in this organization and I work for one of them. I have heard, and to some extent observed, there are other leaders that don't deal with the performance issues on their teams and then end up losing their good people. To those of us observing, this isn't shocking. My advice to those who don't already is to lead your people which includes delivering difficult messages to those that need to hear them. Some of the comments I'm seeing on this site I believe are the result of NOT dealing with issues head on.

2. "back stabbing company"

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer

I worked at ARKRAY (Less than a year)

Pros

everyone was willing to help and worked as a team. Paid overtime

Cons

manager told me what ever he could do help me succeed . Fifty hour weeks are not unusual. Little to no notice to travel. No real reason I was let go. Just we did not need you anymore. Manager was great until he back stabbed me

Advice to Management

work with employee if there is a problem

"QC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN

I worked at ARKRAY full-time

Pros

Not a lot of pros for this company.

Cons

Terrible HR department. Management is clueless. Executives turn a blind eye.

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look at the overall picture. Do more team building. Get employees involved. Promote within versus going outside. If a company has to hire majority of employees from the outside that means the company isn't training within.

4. "Miserable"

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Midwest City, OK
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Midwest City, OK

I worked at ARKRAY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product line, customers and expense account. (200.00 bottles of wine are great)

Cons

HR Manager has no talent and this trickles to the President of the company that is a transplant from the UK.

Advice to Management

Japan needs to step in and either sell the US operation or clean house beginning with the HR team.

5. "Successful medical device company struggling to make inroads in the U.S. market"

I worked at ARKRAY full-time

Pros

Compensation is average to above-average. Casual to business casual environment. Nice work events and outings.

Cons

Not a lot of managerial systems in place. No focus on mentoring or leadership advancement. Recognition program is committee based and biased.

Advice to Management

More transparency as a company as a whole. Operations handled the "open door and open environment" concept well, but other areas, particularly management, were shrouded with "leave me alone" and a negative vibe. Complete lack of self-awareness at Presidential level.

6. "Dysfunctional Operation"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at ARKRAY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Has the ability to be a successful organization in a challenging economic landscape

Cons

Majority of the leadership has been in place for over 5 years preventing growth and inovation. Lack of a professional HR and Sales development will only cause company to fail.

Advice to Management

Clean house of the Sales, HR and Regulatory teams. Determine how to work to increase moral and counsel the dead weight out.

7. "Wasted Career Opportunity"

Former Employee - National Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - National Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ARKRAY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a member of the USM sales team, I could spend $300.00 on a bottle of wine for a dinner meeting. Ability to rack up frequent flyer miles and hotel points for personal use.

Cons

Lack of professional development, ability to move up unless HR created a new title. Direction of the USM division lacks professional drive and experience.

Advice to Management

Hire a consulting firm to provide feedback to Japan on the lack of innovation, professional drive and how the HR department needs to be outsourced.

"High on bureaucracy, low on pay and benefits."

Former Employee - Marketing in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing in Edina, MN

I worked at ARKRAY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ARKRAY is a great stepping stone to work for other health care and med device companies in the health-industry rich Twin Cities market.

Cons

The home office in Japan makes all key decisions (slowly) which ensures that the already ineffectual and borderline incompetent senior management staff in Edina is even ineffectual and borderline incompetent . The President of the US division has no power and even fewer ideas. Job growth and opportunity inside are virtually nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Settle on a strategy and stick to it for longer than 6 months. You can't grow a business when you change your focus as frequently as you change your socks.

"Disappointment"

Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Sales/Marketing in Edina, MN

Pros

Great products and great reputation in the industry. Some really talented people doing great work here.

Cons

Nobody at the wheel! Managers covering for eachother so they can all nurse a few more years out of the place. Not a very ambitious group.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to measure who's producing and who's pretending, and then you'll know why you haven't reached your potential as a company.

10. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Quality Systems
    Current Employee - Quality Systems

Pros

* Small company, so opportunities available for involvement in various projects, wear multiple hats.
    * Supporting work environment, close knit group
    * Excellent work ethic and commitment
    * Very understanding work culture
    * Great opportunity for future growth is certain issues can be handled on a timely basis

Cons

* Due to the small size, opportunity for promotions or to try a different job is almost non-existent
    * Due to the language barrier between Japan and US, a communication gap is evident. This is not only due to language but also culture, work, etc.

Advice to Management

* The management at the HQ need to understand that the US based company is also an integral part of the entire organization and should strive towards synergy in order to be successful among competition.