ASAE Reviews | Glassdoor

John H. Graham, CAE

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company"

I have been working at ASAE full-time

Pros

ASAE has great benefits for employees.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

2. "Great Benefits, Up on Technology, Culture Issue"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at ASAE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros: Has the latest technology, benefits are good.

Cons

Cons: Infighting, silos, conflicting goals, some departments understaffed while others are clowning around doing nothing, HR

Advice to Management

ASAE tries to be really great, but there is definite work to be done.

"Stepping Stone Job Only"

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at ASAE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free soda in lunch room. Many holidays and unlimited sick pay. You can work from home some days depending on your department. Do your time there and you can land a job in another association that thinks that ASAE is the pinnacle.

Cons

It's ironic that the association that is supposed to set an example for other associations is so mired in old-thinking, lack of creativity,, and ghastly politics. Constant in-fighting between departments and executives. Many silos. Balls are dropped all the time. Deadlines missed. Members would be angrier if they weren't so afraid of the association. Egos run rampant among executives. Terrible internal technology. No real sense of feeling like you belong...most everyone seems to have one foot out the door. A lot of clueless executives who seems determined to hold onto their little piece of the action. Some departments empty out by 5PM and others toil late. A sad place to work. Human Resources is ambivalent- bordering on incompetent. You literally have to study your check every week to identify errors.

Advice to Management

Offer some early retirements. Reevaluate the entire structure of the organization.

4. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at ASAE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong benefits package available; centrally located in DC; engaging; moderate flexibility regarding work space and location (remote options); offers appropriate/current technology

Cons

Not all departments offer the option to work remotely; limited opportunities for continued advancement; often below average compensation; no transportation assistance

"Decent place to work but probably would not recommend to lower level employees"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at ASAE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall great staff and people to work with. Many employees seem very passionate about what they do. ASAE was a great place to learn the ins and outs of my job and career field.

Cons

Horrible pay, not much room for growth, future direction of organization seems unclear, certain employees are stretched thin with job duties

Advice to Management

ASAE was a great place to grow in my career and figure things out. You all gave me the opportunity to see what I did not want to continue doing professionally. Thank you! To slow down that high turnover rate, I suggest you all reconsider your compensation scale. I honestly could not believe the salary I was able to get once I left ASAE...but then I realized that this placed heavily underpaid many people and not just me. Do you all not think it's crazy to allow people to quit and pay them a lot more once they return? Could you not have paid them a respectable wage in the first place to keep them there all along? I'd also advise you all to show more appreciation towards employees across the entire organization. I understand that quite a few people work here, but I see no reason where half the staff doesn't even know who certain people are (that work in the same office). Lastly, I suggest that you all continue to promote new conferences, courses, publications because it was no secret that a lot of this stuff was becoming boring to members....to anyone reading this, go ahead and give ASAE a chance but realize that they are NOT the be all end all of associations! (Common misconception)

6. "art director"

I have been working at ASAE full-time

Pros

generous, location, flex hours, open to ideas

Cons

culture, promotions, longtime employees, dress code

7. "You Make The Best of It"

I have been working at ASAE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on your department, this can be an awesome place to work. I've had nothing but good experiences here with my colleagues. The line of communication is very open, people are always willing to give something a try (even if you have to bring it up a few times) and the work/life balance is fantastic. Our c-level execs are really awesome and I have no had a single bad experience with any of them.

Cons

There are some bad eggs that you have to watch out for, but that's every company. Don't take things personally.

8. "Your mileage may vary"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at ASAE (More than 8 years)

Pros

Depending on your department and supervisor, ASAE can be a very fulfilling place to work. Members and volunteers, with few exceptions, are incredible people. Many ASAE staff are bright and competent. Ability to travel, generous professional development support, remarkable 401k.

Cons

Again, depending on your department you could have a terrible experience here. Some teams have revolving doors and there seems to be little interest in rectifying the problem of poor management, which causes excessive turnover. Pet projects are regularly kept or pursued because someone really likes it, with little regard for profitability or customer interest. Very little market analysis (if any) is used to determine products and services leading to bizarre imbalances in expenditures, rampant soloing between departments, and confusion among members about what offerings come from where. HR department makes many mistakes and there's a general sense that they don't keep personal information very confidential. Raises and promotions are hard to come by in many departments and are executed with little transparency or consistency. Staff who are clearly leeches to the organization are kept on for years rather than fired, causing many morale problems among staff who do work very hard.

Advice to Management

Sever rotting limbs. If you receive regular complaints about your staff, fire them. Level the salary playing field.

9. "I wouldn't mind working there again"

I worked at ASAE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, but salary and raises are often lower than industry average. Leadership will take the time to meet to discuss ideas.

Cons

Promotions can be difficult to earn in some departments. Department VPs determine policies on flexible schedule and telecommuting which can create resentment amongst coworkers.

10. "Management"

I worked at ASAE full-time

Pros

Company requires 20 hours of continuing education each year! Excellent Benefit!

Cons

Very Different Company Internally vs. Outside of the Association World.

Advice to Management

Stop showing favoritism to Executives that should have been put out of the companies years ago! MEAN PEOPLE!!!!