Acumen Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Thomas MaCurdy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Some teams have no such thing as work life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "The salary is insanely low for a programmer in the Bay Area" (in 12 reviews)

1. "Data and Policy Analyst, Statistic Programmer"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Acumen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good work life balance, good working environment, nice colleague.

Cons

low salary, bad visa sponsor policy

Aug 24, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

We appreciate you leaving us a review, thank you! Please feel free to speak with our immigration's specialist in the Burlingame office, we always hear negative reviews on our visa sponsorship program!... More

"Don't stay here long!"

I have been working at Acumen full-time

Pros

- getting to work with passionate, smart people

Cons

- don't have much control over what you work on and can get caught up in dull work with little opportunities for growth
    - management and HR are terrible

Aug 9, 2018 – HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. I am sorry that you have not seen improvement in HR and management. That is not consistent with the feedback we have received. The company has... More

3. "Good Company and making improvements"

I have been working at Acumen full-time

Pros

It is amazing to be able to contribute to a company that is doing such good work. The company continues to hire super smart people and to bid on interesting work. Great location!

Cons

The company is not a typical tech company and so there is some challenge to the compensation. The company continues to make great improvement with culture, management and transparency.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward and working on improvements.

Jul 2, 2018 – Director of Business Operations

Thank you so much for sharing such nice comments. We are incredibly proud of our work, our people, and our culture. We know we're not perfect but we promise to continue working towards that goal.... More

4. "Great Work with Even Better People"

I have been working at Acumen full-time

Pros

Acumen has loads of interesting, challenging, and important work and hires talented, motivated, and driven employees to work on it.

Cons

Acumen is a government contractor and so is not able to pay as well as tech firms in the bay area.

Advice to Management

Keep making improvements--the company has come a long way already!

Jul 2, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

We appreciate the review, thank you! We have come a long way and the improvements are always continuing, so it's great to hear it from others as well.

"Narcissistic Management and Poor Company Culture - toxic work environment!!"

I have been working at Acumen full-time

Pros

-Located in the Peninsula that's close to the airport
    -You get some meaningful exposure to the healthcare policy as a new college grad
    -(Seemingly) laid back, chill work place

Cons

-Management is horrible. Although some people have better experience with managers depend on the specific teams, most of the managers here are narcissistic and full of themselves. They make you work long hours with no appreciation, Some managers are particularly hypocrites, claiming that they are open to feedback and suggestions, when in reality are only self centered with their ways of doing certain things, and gaslighting you later to make you feel bad about yourself.
    -Poor culture. Employees here are nice and (perhaps) smart, but in reality are just new grads from undergrad and graduate programs who had no previous working experience and don't know how to socialize like a normal person. The common pattern is working from 10-9.
    -No career development. The job titles and descriptions are incredibly vague and nobody tells you how to work to get to the next level. Although it has a lot to do the fact that almost all upper management are males relatives and friends of the current CEO. Performance reviews are just formality-nobody really cares about your growth!!
    -Weak benefits. No incentives for carpooling despite that most people live in the city and commute 30-40 min for work. Once-a-month company lunch/donuts, and it's just bagels and fruits for rest of the month. Insurance plans offered are also useless when you get sick.
    -PTO policy. Although it's not unlimited PTOs, for some reason the managers are able to still make you feel bad about asking for sick days or just mental health days to help reset from the toxic work environment, which results in people taking month-long vacation once a year.
    -Terrible structure. You feel bad about taking vacation because teams are poorly structured with people leaving all the time. Often time you'll have to work 2-3 persons' work.
    -High turnover. It's pretty obvious that everything mentioned above resulted in the high turnover rate. No one is stupid enough to get that kind of treatment at work!!

Advice to Management

A change to management

Jul 2, 2018 – Director of Business Operations

Reading this leaves me feeling incredibly disappointed because: 1) it's unacceptable for even one of our employees to feel this way; and 2) because this opinion doesn't jive with what I see and hear... More

"Unethical company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Acumen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Alas, there is very little positive thing to say about this company.

Cons

Where do I begin? Mismanaged, unethical, dishonest , over-billing clients for shoddy work. So-called "analysts" could barely communicate coherently, leading to confusion and redundant work. If I were a client, I would think twice about retaining the service of this company. For whatever reasons, Acumen tends to attract low-quality and technically deficient people, who are encouraged to bill, bill, bill - even for work that is clearly non-billable. An ethically challenged company indeed!

Jun 4, 2018 – Director of Business Operations

What a shame! To work with a company for more than 10-years and to harbor such a negative opinion isn't good. While we are certainly not perfect, we continue to admire and respect our people and to... More

"Data and Policy Analyst III"

Current Employee - Data and Policy Analyst III in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Data and Policy Analyst III in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Acumen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to start.
    Friendly environment.
    Smart colleagues.
    Make a change to the policy making.

Cons

Below market pay.
    Different teams have totally different styles.
    Some teams have no such thing as work life balance. Their turn over rate is incredibly high, since their hourly salary is incredibly low.

Advice to Management

Raise the salary. High turn over is no good to the company and the small benifits won't change it at all. Look at the trends of ratings here.
    Bring more people in who experts in management. Consider MBA programs for the leadership.
    Be more ambitious, be prepared to get into private sector business.
    Raise money to be more powerful and do some thing bigger like other silicon valley company did.

Jun 5, 2018 – HR Director

Hello,
    Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. We are aware and concerned with the turnover in the company. I like the idea of considering MBA programs to bring in a mix of talents. We are... More

8. "Data and Policy Analyst"

Pros

Great job for a person out of college!

Cons

Pay can be better compared to other companies in SF

Jun 4, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

We appreciate the review, thank you!

"Great first job out of college"

Current Employee - Data Systems Programmer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Systems Programmer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Acumen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

– Intelligent coworkers
    – Potentially interesting work
    – The first two weeks of work are SAS training, so no experience with SAS is needed
    – Visa sponsorship (anecdotally, 1/3 or more of the employees are non-citizens)
    – I seldom work more than 40 hours/week. This varies by team though.

Cons

– Low pay and minimal benefits
    – SAS isn't used almost anywhere else
    – Low retention (Also a pro! Employees move on to better, higher-paying jobs after 2 years on average)
    – Not a social workplace at all. It feels like being in an elevator with strangers, except for 40 hours/week. It's downright awkward.
    – Since seniority is prized and retention low, management is a motley crew of whoever sticks around. Two big groups: good programmers who make bad managers, and MaCurdys (the CEO hired ~4 family members for top leadership roles).

Advice to Management

Underpaying recent college grads is a great model for filling entry-level jobs, but you need a better system for identifying good managers.

Jun 4, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for leaving us a review. Please feel free to stop by and speak to any members of our HR and/or Recruiting department at any time to discuss your concerns further. We don't want any of our... More

"Meh."

I worked at Acumen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Don't have many pros for this place.

Cons

Not a great place to work.

Jun 4, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Hello- thanks for the review.