Acumen Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Acumen Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2018

2.7

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Acumen.

Interview

Discussed about an Excel data exercise that I required to complete within one week. 30-min phone interview. Have the chance to ask questions about Acumen for the interviewer in the end.

Interview Questions

• How did you approach to do it and what is the conclusion?   Answer Question

Senior Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Acumen (McLean, VA) in May 2018.

Interview

Tightly controlled with a session to determine if you have the ability to design a Salesforce solution with limited information. Met with a variety of Directors to determine not only my Salesforce skill set, but also my industry breadth and depth. Overall, the team was very professional and highly intelligent. The team at Acumen is clearly well prepared and very solid in their interview process.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a Salesforce solution given certain parameters?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Acumen (Washington, DC).

Interview

First, I was given a dataset to analyze. After succeeding in this part, I received the onsite interview, which had two parts. First, I was asked to complete an paper exercise within an hour, which included logic questions. Later, I had interviews with 3~4 current employees.

Interview Questions

• Describe the research experience presented on the resume   Answer Question

Statistical Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Acumen.

Interview

Initially saw Acumen at a UC Berkeley career fair, submitted a resume and cover letter online. Received a data exercise and completed it within a week. Then schedule a phone interview to review my analysis. Then, came into the office for an on-site interview -- started with a 1 hour logic and probability test and continued with 3 in-person interviews discussing my projects, experience, and resume. Was treated to a pretty great lunch and the people interviewing me were all fairly young and cool. To be perfectly honest, no clue why I didn't get an offer -- go figure. The one thing I was irritated with is that it took nearly a month to get a decision back after my onsite interview, which is just way too long for an intern position.

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Acumen (Burlingame, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

It was a very difficult and unfortunate interview process. I passed a phone screen and was offered an onsite interview in California. I flew across the country for the interview (they kindly reimbursed for some expenses). The onsite interview was very difficult and involved. There was a 90-minute handwritten test and then an additional 4-5 hours of interviewing.

The individuals I interviewed with all had very unique and different expectations for the would-be technical writer. Most of which was not clearly articulated or explained. The majority of individuals were clear about how they would interact with the role, but predominately they lacked an emphasis on the actually writing component or requirements.

Many individuals including the hiring manager stated that a technical writing background would be appreciated but not required. I recommend that you don't acknowledge this as factual, rather buff up on your technical writing knowledge and highlight your work samples.

Which transitions me to the handwritten test. The was a difficult exam as it was relatively short, nuanced, and was to be completed in pencil. I recommend you practice your handwriting skills, certainly study your grammar and specific technical writing terms/practices.

I was confused by what was said to me only to receive a rejection. I'd be wary of this organization and applying, everyone was nice and intelligent, but they made it seem like they really wanted to fill the role with any relatively skilled writer, especially given the need for support from a myriad of departments.

Many of the 1-on-1 interviews were conversational but centered around very specific office dynamic questions. For example, "what would you do as a technical writer if someone agreed with a client to do additional work and it required extra effort from the development team but they couldn't deliver?" And more of those sort of questions.

And be prepared to be talked at a lot by tech/computer science professionals and less from the actual hiring manager.

Below are some of the test questions I can recall.

Interview Questions

• The first question was to identify a grammatically correct sentence.

Another was to write instructions for finding a "quality article online"

Another was a rewriting of two convoluted paragraphs littered with industry-specific jargon and required an understanding of some kind of software development team management.

Following the rewrite, there was a prompt to define what "original work" is. The other I cannot recall as well because truthfully the test was a blur as it felt like a trainwreck and I was caught off guard.

I highly recommend you don't apply as there are many other technical writing/content creation positions in San Francisco with better pay and benefits, like GoPro, Youtube, or Facebook. This organization is interesting but the salary was low and the interview was very difficult and truthfully didn't seem geared around finding a good writer with other soft skills but more about passing the paper test and saying the right things to each interviewer that catered to there department needs/mindset.

I would not recommend applying for a technical writing position here given the interviewing process and less than competitive compensation. I do want to state that they reimbursed up to 800 dollars for travel and took me to lunch. Everyone was nice and professional, but what was said and what happened afterward seems not to match up.

Also if you apply and are rejected via email don't bother asking for feedback, you'll only receive a vague, generic and diplomatic response that is very cookie-cutter HR language to mitigate potential risks of candidate backlash.   Answer Question

Acumen Response

May 22, 2018 – Technical Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with detailed feedback on our interview process. We are sorry to learn that your interview experience was not pleasant and will certainly factor your... More

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Acumen (Washington, DC) in February 2018.

Interview

After I submitted my application, I received an email to complete a data exercise to be considered for an interview. The purpose of the exercise was to determine how I investigate the data, analyze the data, and then write about the data. There were three questions in total. It was to be submitted one week after receiving the initial email.

Data and Policy Analyst-- Statistical Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Acumen (Washington, DC) in December 2017.

Interview

First, I received a data exercise which should spend no more than two hours, after I submitted my answer, I received a phone interview which was totally based on the exercise. There was no right answer I guess, if you could justify why you do certain analyses, that would be OK. Then, I got the on-site interview. A simple logic test and three rounds one on one interview with different project managers. Be sure to know every detail about your experiences on the resume. And I had a small quiz with one of the manager, he asked about questions based on his previous projects.

Interview Questions

• Which project on your resume do you find most interesting and tell me more about it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Acumen (Burlingame, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

I learned about this company from the my school's job page. I applied on Acumen's website. I submitted resume, cover letter and some coding examples, and may have answered a lot of other questions. One week later they sent me an exercise problem to work on. I did it and they arranged a phone interview. The interview was with a data analyst and we went over the exercise problem I did, and chatted a little. Within two weeks I was scheduled for an on-site interview. The on-site interview included a written test and meeting with four employees. The written test was fun. The employees went over my resume and asked questions involving data analysis. They were smart people and very friendly. Lunch was not provided although you could get some snacks and coffee. Within three weeks I received an offer.

Data and Policy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Acumen.

Interview

They sent me a data exercise. After I submitted, they invited me a phone interview to talk about this exercise. Why do you choose this model? How do you think about this data? How to clean data?

Then, I got the onsite interview. After a simple probability test, I interviewed with 4 people. They mainly asked questions about projects I did.

Interview Questions

Acumen Response

Dec 8, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review on your interview experience with us.

Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Acumen (Washington, DC) in December 2017.

Interview

Problem set with data analysis, one week later phone review; most questions are about the problem set given earlier. Got onsite interview at Washington D.C. had a one hour writing test on basic stats and three one-to-one interview on the company and stats.

Interview Questions

• Q: what do you know about healthcare and data involved in healthcare policies   Answer Question