Acumen Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Acumen Interview Questions

Updated Aug 4, 2018

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Acumen in April 2017.

Interview

Phone screen. First the interviewer asked me which position I was interested in, entry-level or senior software engineer. Cuz I'm new grad I chose entry-level. The questions are about concepts of data structure and OOD. And then asked more about my projects and tools and frameworks I used. The thing I did not like during the interview was that I always needed to ask interviewers(there were two I thought) whether they could hear me cuz they usually did not give me feedback after I finished my answer. Maybe they were doing their work during interview or just not interested in me . But really felt embarrassed when it came to silence after I answered questions.

Interview Questions

Acumen Response

May 8, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We apologize you felt that way after the phone interview. We are always trying to improve and your review has been passed over to our hiring... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Acumen (Burlingame, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

2 phone, 1 onsite. Onsite is math test but quite easy. Probability related and logic related. And can be finished within 45 mins. After that I meet with 3 teams and talk to each of them. No algorithm questions

Interview Questions

Acumen Response

Nov 28, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the review.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Acumen.

Interview

Got to know about the position during career fair, and I applied through the online form. I got a phone interview first, and then an on-site interview two weeks later. Met at least 8 or 9 people there and had a great lunch.

Interview Questions

• During the phone interview, I was asked about a detail of my research, but I didn't know the answer.   Answer Question

Mar 18, 2014 – Senior Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the on-site interview and had a great lunch.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Acumen (Burlingame, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Phone call followed by a data test, which was due in a week. In personal interviews with 4 people and a paper test about basic math and statistics. The interviewers dressed very casual and not professional. One of the guys did not even bring my resume to the interview and did not know what position what I was applying for. People there look very young like new graduates. Overall process is ok but I dont recommend it if you have better options.

Interview Questions

Acumen Response

Dec 30, 2014 – Senior Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for leaving a review.

Statistical Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Acumen.

Interview

Phone Interview

Statistical Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Acumen.

Interview

I found Acumen through an on campus job link. After applying online and sending several follow up emails, I was contacted back and asked for a coding sample. After submitting the sample, I was scheduled for a phone interview several weeks later. The phone interview was pretty technical, they asked me to explain all my projects and course work so far in statistics and numerical analysis. They grilled me on specific methods in statistics. And rigorously critiqued my project work in regression analysis. I was able to answer the questions pretty well in my opinion and it was a subject and project I felt confident in. After no response for a couple weeks, I decided to call Acumen on an update. They then emailed me the next day rejecting me.

Interview Questions

• Very detailed questions on my regression analysis project. How did you eliminate variables? How did you avoid multicolinearity? Are you familiar with instrumental variables? Describe the significance of your results?   Answer Question

Mar 18, 2014 – Senior Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for this feedback. We are working toward improving the length of response time throughout our interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Acumen (Burlingame, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I got in an took a 1 hour logic and statistics test that I thought I was well prepared for. I then interviewed with 3 sets of two people for ~30 minutes each. Each interview had a different flavor. Some interviewers asked resume questions, others asked more "technical" questions about quantitative methods and multiple regression. Everyone seemed friendly and didn't seem to be trying to intimidate for the most part. Came out thinking I had done well enough for an offer, but alas, no.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the quantitative/statistical analysis you've done.   Answer Question
    • What are some ways that you can correct for non-linearities in your model.   Answer Question
    • Do you have a special interest in health policy?   Answer Question

May 16, 2016 – Senior Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Acumen (Burlingame, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Saw them at a career fair and applied online. They sent an excel test which was fairly simple. A couple weeks later they scheduled a phone interview which was pretty basic. After that they scheduled a second phone interview which was somewhat more in depth. Then an onsite interview was scheduled - a written test on stats/logic and meeting a few teams over the course of a day.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to answer a lot about why you want to work there and your experience with quantitative research   Answer Question

Feb 8, 2016 – Senior Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for leaving us a review.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlingame, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Acumen (Burlingame, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

For the onsite interview: First a probability and logic test then 3-5 interviewers will ask you some questions about your projects and some basic statistical questions. Most questions are related with what they actually do at work including how to preprocess data, how to deal with a raw dataset, how to choose an appropriate model etc.

Interview Questions

Acumen Response

Mar 27, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, thank you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Acumen (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

They send me a data set with three parts of questions, and give me 2 weeks. After two weeks, they schedule a phone interview to go over questions and this dataset.

Interview Questions

Acumen Response

Jan 31, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for leaving us a review.