Akima Infrastructure Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Akima Infrastructure Services President Don Laney
Don Laney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Access to great opportunities"

Current Employee - Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Akima Infrastructure Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Access to Sandia Labs positions that are difficult to get into. Great benefits and possibility to become full-time Sandia employee

Cons

Process can take a while to be hired. Takes up to 1 month or more to interview and start. Start as a contractor with 'potential' to be hired.

2. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Project Controls Specialist in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Project Controls Specialist in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Akima Infrastructure Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Due to the nature of the contract at Sandia Labs, the approach was very hands off except to understand that one works for AIS and NOT Sandia. I interacted with AIS only for pay and vacation time. Oh, and the yearly performance review. Ax a self starter this was fine with me.

Cons

I did not have any bad experiences with the company

"Administrative"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Akima Infrastructure Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, benefits, pay and benefits

Cons

They use you, they don’t have a clue about an employee being mistreated unless you spell it out for them. They only see green. Your not a human your a cash flow so deal with whatever situation they put you in until your time is up.

Advice to Management

Check in on your employees... the customer isn’t always right... We are humans and should be treated as such!

"They're just as bad as everyone is thinking."

Current Employee - Systems Analyst
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst

Pros

So unlike people who are rage-posting, I actually work at an Akima subsidiary. That's not a defense of them, believe me. Because there is not much to like about this company. I'm only supposed to put "pros" in this space and there really aren't any, so please skip to the next section!

Cons

- Company is ridiculously cheap - I mean, ridiculously. My project manager told me what she makes and it is literally half of what I am making working for the government entity they're leasing me to. Akima's own benefits are terrible - I really feel for the office personnel - and the only reason I don't have the same terrible benefits is because the entity I work for forces Akima, via contract, to provide decent benefits. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure the health care plan would consist of a bottle of Airborne.
    - The people I work with in my city's home office are sweet but absolutely clueless. Because managing staffers is their job, I would think they would know about basics of government contract staff management like overtime, vacation pay, holiday pay, etc. They generally can't answer even my simplest questions like "how should I account for my time if X happens" and tell me to ask my manager - who doesn't know how to do things the way Akima does them, because she doesn't work for Akima! I don't really know beans about HR or contract management but I've had to school them several times when they were about to either violate my employee rights or the FAR (Federal Acquisitions Regulations).
    - Terrible, terrible accrual of vacation and sick time. We get like 6 hours a month of vacation and asking to use it always generates a lot of huffy emails and subtle hints that you really shouldn't be taking time off. If you take a sick day on either side of a federal holiday they want you to produce a doctor's note. Really? Treating people like adults is definitely not the Akima way. Witness today's news.
    - The most annoying thing is the weird combination of total whip-cracking micromanagement of contractors coupled with a total lack of knowledge of how they are supposed to do their job. It makes for a lot, lot, lot of frustration.

Take it from me: avoid Akima and Akima Infrastructure Resources. My partner works for a different contractor at my same site and he has better benefits and about fifteen times less hassle. They let him work from home at least one day a week, they have company outings that the company pays for, and best of all, his project managers know what they're talking about. He's having a much better time than I am working basically the same job.

Advice to Management

- Stop being so cheap. The first way to demonstrate this would be to TRAIN YOUR SITE PERSONNEL in basic HR and labor law.
    - The vacation accrual and vacation policies are a joke and if you want to keep top people, you need to do better. I have known several other Akima contract employees who have jumped ship to another contractor just because of the vacation issue.
    - Don't fire people for expressing a legitimate honest opinion on their own time, while simultaneously protecting the job of a racist.

5. "Boarded Up the Shop"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampton, VA

I worked at Akima Infrastructure Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Any fond memories or silver linings have been overshadowed by the chaos that ensued as the Hampton office slowly raged into an uncontrolled dumpster fire.

Cons

What began as a small, cohesive unit became a toxic sweatshop as everyone climbed over themselves to earn the faintest iota of advancement. Employee appraisal system was a useless mirage --- a carrot dangled in front of staff while a salary freeze kept our pay stagnant for years. Years where the office poured in countless hours of overtime. There was no employee recognition. Not for successful contract delivery, not for dedication on evenings and weekends, not even for five or ten years of commitment to the company. Christmas party? Nah, forget about it. Celebrate your own birthday while you're at it. The weekly reminders that we were all "lucky to have jobs at all" was a special kind of encouragement. Something happened high above our paygrades that sent AIS into a downward spiral. It irreparably damaged the workplace culture and evaporated the confidence of our most important client, the U.S. government. And I hope the folks responsible for that can one day read this.

Advice to Management

50-60 hours per week from most non-management staff and a "just get it done" attitude from upper management recklessly skirts the unethical. In the end, the answer is almost always the simplest: money. Should you miraculously be presented one day with the opportunity to lead another company, take some time to reconsider your values in regards to the human element of business. People want to learn, advance their careers, earn respect, and be part of something bigger than themselves. None of this was Akima Infrastructure Services.

6. "A great place for those who prefer contract service jobs"

I worked at Akima Infrastructure Services full-time

Pros

Great company to work for it you are a self starter and don't mind the autonomy (which I was and I didn't). Akima has a great reputation with the client at providing hard to find skilled and professional labor.
    There was no formal performance review process (may also considered to be a con for some.)
    Akima had terrific benefits and worked diligently to match those of the client. They tend to pay higher salaries than the client as well.

Cons

Don't expect any kind of career development or skills training from Akima. The only training/certification I ever received was from the client. Their culture seems to be that if the client is happy with your work then that's good enough and no need to invest in the employee. This is to be expected from supplemental labor type organizations such as Akima.
    Most of my years working for Akima felt like I was the clients employee not theirs so if you need to work for an organization where you feel part of your employers team, Akima may not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to ensure pay and benefits are such that you can overcome the lack of security that employees feel due to the contract structure of your business.

7. "Good company with good people"

Current Employee - R&D Lab Technician in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - R&D Lab Technician in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Akima Infrastructure Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management, always willing to help

Cons

Customers tend to not be forthcoming about the amount of finding they have accessible and change working hours.

Advice to Management

Work closely with customers when drafting contracts, make sure both parties will benefit.

8. "Great people Poorly run"

Pros

Some of the most creative people I have worked with.

Cons

Management was unprofessional and didn't have the slightest clue on what it took to get a project completed.

Advice to Management

Hire artists as you project manager and program managers if you are going to be stay in that type of business.

9. "Poorly Managed"

Former Employee - Instructional Systems Specialist
    Former Employee - Instructional Systems Specialist

I worked at Akima Infrastructure Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were really top notch. Sadly, everyone left including me.

Cons

Management allowed scope creep without ensuring there was enough manpower to handle it. This led to many teams working 60+ hours a week for months. The managers never worked overtime, however.

Advice to Management

Communication needs to be greatly improved. Don't wait until the last day of a contract to tell employees whether they have a job the next day...or, continue per usual and don't be angry when the team has found jobs elsewhere.

10. "System Administrator II"

Former Employee - Systems Manager II in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Manager II in Livermore, CA

I worked at Akima Infrastructure Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work. LLNL

Cons

Have strict security requirements.

Advice to Management

N/A