Cover image for Allsup

65% Recommend to a Friend
78% Approve of CEO

Found 166 of over 170 reviews

3.7
Allsup President and CEO Jim Allsup (no image)
Jim Allsup

132 Comments

Consulting

417.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/consulting/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Allsup~411359
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year
    Featured Review

Great company

Jul 12, 2022 - Disability Resource Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management is amazing they really care about you, great payments and great staff

Cons

No bad sides of working here to be honest

Allsup Response

Thank you for your review. We’re pleased your experience working at Allsup is so positive. We appreciate that you’ve taken the time to highlight three key areas that are important to you.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Place to Work!!!

Nov 16, 2022 - Vice President in Belleville, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Growing company with loads of opportunity for career growth

Cons

Growth companies move quickly. Need to want to work.

3. Join the Allsup team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee

Micromanagement, unreasonable expectations and I don’t even believe in what the company stands for!

Nov 29, 2022 - Claims Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent benefit packages are offered

Cons

Omg where to start. MICROMANAGED is an understatement, literally your supervisor may go through your emails and point out something you should have done differently. This place is honestly a joke making millions off these poor claimants who would have been approved on their own. Honestly I think it’s sick! I couldn’t compromise my integrity and stay with this company not to mention it is major-ally stressful with unreasonable expectations and yes you are measured intensely! Way too many claims per consultant to manage and provide true quality service! Oh and if you work here you better enjoy completing intakes which take 2.5 hours on the phone , several a day while also being expected to manage a ton of additional case management tasks. This company is horrible all the way around!

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

I COULDN'T DO IT ANY LONGER

Sep 26, 2022 - Claims Specialist I in Belleville, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. A rewarding job helping others - There are many people who really do need help with the SSDI process and it was a pleasure assisting them on their journey and sometimes just being a shoulder to lean on during these difficult times. 2. Remote position – however there was consistent push to return to office. 3. Hours of operation – Monday through Friday, day shift, no weekends, and most holidays of. You will have a set schedule. 4. Benefits – Health, dental, vision, 401k, PTO. 5. Coworkers - There is a team jabber (chat) every day and everyone helps each other.

Cons

1. Severe micromanagement – it was tolerable at first but this past year things became worse as we were extremely short staffed and they are trying to get the most out of the specialists they do/did have. I was told by a manager that certain changes were due to their lack of trust for their specialists, not in those words exactly. 2. Wages – I accepted this position at $14/hr. This was not negotiable even with my 19+ years of customer service experience. However, this was a remote job during the pandemic and I took it. A week into training I realized that this position was severely underpaid. There is SO MUCH a specialist needs to know. This is not just a call center job where you take calls and notes, you have to provide a lot of information to claimants as well. It takes about 6 months to a year to be fully trained. About 3-4 months ago, I noticed that it was posted on the Allsup Careers page that for a Claims Specialist I position, they are starting out at $15-$18/hr “based on experience and geographical location”. By this time I was making over $15 due to annual raises and they also made their minimum wage $15. However, I was curious on what experience I needed to reach $18/hr because I felt that would be more appropriate for this position. I reached out to my manager who contacted HR and I was informed that a Claim Specialist I position is “entry level” and I am not able to provide the rest of that conversation without disclosing information I'm probably not allowed to but overall - someone new could come in making more than me. 3. Goals/Metrics – For the most part, goals are attainable. You are required to take 37 calls or more per day. This sounds easy but sometimes you’re not always able to control the phone conversations. There are many people who need help, have lots of questions, or have no one else to talk to. Metrics have recently changed and it leaves little room for error. 4. Referrals – When I was hired, I was offered customer service or sales, I chose customer service because I didn’t want to have to sell anyone anything. For the last year it has been pushed that we have to ask all claimants if they have anyone to refer to Allsup. Sometimes it can be warranted and easy to talk about, but there are so many situations where it is awkward to approach the subject or even end the call with it. Claimants don't like the constant reminders either. 5. Schedule – My schedule changed about 4-5 times since being here. For a long time I had a great shift but due to being short staffed, they had to rearrange many of our schedules to make sure the call queue was cleared by 5pm. But this is why I quit – I had my monthly one on one meeting with my manager and it was great. I was told I am doing good and meeting my goals. She wanted to know my future goals with Allsup and I told her that I thought about branching out to different departments which she encouraged and said anything I needed she would help me get there which was awesome. A few days after this meeting, a position opened up that I really wanted. I applied for it and got an interview which went amazing as well. During our next monthly meeting, I was told that I barely made my previous month’s goal and they recently changed up how the metrics were reached (which they had not yet informed anyone) and that the past 2 weeks I was under goal so they had to tell the department that I interviewed for. I was blind sighted. I don’t think this is why I didn’t get the position but it was extremely disheartening. I was just told what a great job I was doing, I made 100% of my goal the previous month but unbeknownst to me, the metric system changed and I was currently under goal. This was relayed to the department I was interviewing for, not the fact that I was consistently meeting or exceeding my monthly goals prior to their change! Definitely put a bad taste in my mouth. Another thing they had to relay to that department was my attendance earlier this year. I was remote, I had no control over power outages or cable outages. If I was not able to get to the office, I had to use PTO and it would count as unexcused. We have specialists out of state but this is a requirement for anyone who lives within an hour of Allsup. Seemed unethical to me. Aside from that, like everyone else, there are times that I was legitimately sick. I worked remote so most of the time it was doable and I could push through. The issue was I wasn’t getting any better. My doctor realized that it was work that was affecting my health and had to prescribe me medication!! I don’t like medication but my doctor was right, things got much better after being put on meds. This should have been when I quit though. You should not have to take medication to cope with your job! It’s not worth your mental health. The day I quit was a weight off my shoulders.

6 people found this review helpful

Allsup Response

Thank you for your recent review. Though you are no longer working at Allsup, we welcome the feedback and will share it with management.

6. 3.0
    Former Employee

Lackluster

Aug 4, 2022 - Coordinator in Belleville, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Created a lot of friendships

Cons

Hard to earn a living wage unless in management

1 person found this review helpful

Allsup Response

Thank you for your recent review. While you are no longer working at Allsup, we appreciate that you took the time to comment.

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Stay Away

Jul 5, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Management was flexible with my schedule in the beginning. My co-workers in my department all seemed to be very nice people.

Cons

My mental health took a serious hit while at this job. The role basically ended up being a sales position (which is something I've always had 0 interest in but I needed a job and was trying to be open-minded). I was told I wouldn't have to "sell" anything as the claimants we were calling were supposed to have already been informed that we'd be contacting them. I'd say about 7 out of every 10 people I'd call would have no clue who we were or why they were being contacted about applying for SSDI. When a caller would get belligerent or verbally abusive, we were expected to try and talk them down so we could still get their business instead of hanging up on them and closing out their file. The company's call schedule is very aggressive. They had us calling claimants every 3-4 days to try and solicit new business or check up on outstanding paperwork. If someone told us they weren't interested at all, we were still expected to continue to make calls to them to try and convince them. The company just recently instigated a new call series where, after calling a claimant 6 times in a month, we'd then wait a month and start calling them again (once a month for another 5-6 months) to try and continue to get their business. I was given a $.60 raise after working there for a year. Management is constantly running contests in the department to try and boost customer referrals or get claimant's to post online reviews. They play bingo with us throughout the day every few weeks as what I can assume is supposed to be a morale booster. Management had issues with the way I was working and eventually ended up micromanaging me. I was reprimanded several times and eventually written up which resulted in my monthly bonuses being suspended for an indefinite period of time. When I asked for work that wasn't as involved, since I wasn't going to do the same amount of work for less money, I was told that wouldn't happen and I'd still be expected to do the same amount of work for less money. I quit in the middle of the day the following week. Allsup is a typical corporation whose only concern is keeping their numbers up, which seems to be a struggle considering how on top of us management was about getting all the new business any way possible. They'd hire some new folks here and there but it always seemed as if there was this sense of urgency that the company weren't bringing in enough business. While I never met him in person, the CEO, Jim Allsup, comes off as a blowhard who likes to toot his own horn about how much he has done in the SSDI space and how he was the first to ever do it. A company-wide meeting that was held to relay some new information and processes came off more as Jim bragging about his accomplishments for an hour. Save your time and keep looking for another company. I've done less work for more money elsewhere.

4 people found this review helpful

Allsup Response

Thank you for your recent review. While we do not like to see comments that reflect unhappiness or job dissatisfaction, we appreciate that you took the time to elaborate. All feedback provides us an opportunity to reflect and make necessary changes to improve work/life balance for our team members. We appreciate your time here at Allsup and wish you success in your next job.

8. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

It’s ok

Jun 10, 2022 - Claims Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Easy work, most people are friendly benefits were ok

Cons

Pay, management and no recognition for good work

Allsup Response

Thank you for your review. We’re pleased that you find several positive aspects about your experience at Allsup. We work hard to offer good benefits and hire people who value our friendly culture. Your comments about pay, management and recognition for good work are also important to us. If you would like to discuss these issues further, please reach out to Kim Rist (K.Rist@allsup.com).

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

IT

May 16, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

You work in a Team environment, most work from home and you get to work on a lot of projects. Your not stuck working on the same thing. If your good, you will get noticed.

Cons

You are given work items on two week sprints and you are expected to finish them. Others will help you if needed.

Allsup Response

Thank you for your recent review. We’re pleased that you like the variety in your work and can appreciate your comments about the two-week sprints. It’s important in our fast-paced, customer-focused, business environment to deliver results and technology enhancements frequently. We concur that in-person opportunities are important, and we hope to have more in the future.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great career opportunities!

May 13, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve worked for Allsup for over 15 years and I can honestly say that I feel really good about the position the company is in and the direction we are headed. Not only am I able to make a difference for our customers by helping during a tough, and often unexpected, time in their life but I also work with amazing people and have built some great friendships. There is flexibility with hybrid and remote positions, and there is also lots of room for growth. This isn't just a job - it is a career.

Cons

We are dependent upon SSA to make timely and accurate decisions for our customers.

Allsup Response

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review. It’s clear that your 15 years with Allsup have been meaningful as well as important to your career growth. We pride ourselves on the work we do to help people obtain Social Security Disability Insurance benefits. Thank you for helping us deliver results. We will continue to work hard at communicating, listening and recognizing those that make Allsup a great company.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Allsup is Awesome!

May 4, 2022 - Claims Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is welcoming and helpful. Very engaging team atmosphere. Supportive of work/life balance for employees. Great opportunity for professional growth. The work is impactful.

Cons

Systems could use upgrading and/or enhancements.

Allsup Response

Thank you for your recent review. It’s a pleasure to see that your first year at Allsup has been so positive. We aim to always support a work/life balance and provide opportunities for professional growth. We understand the importance of keeping our systems updated so our team can continue to deliver the best possible service to our customers. Thank you for reminding us to make this a priority.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 166 Reviews
</>Embed

Allsup Reviews FAQs

Allsup has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 170 reviews left anonymously by employees. 65% of employees would recommend working at Allsup to a friend and 65% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 22% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Allsup employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Allsup. This rating has improved by 23% over the last 12 months.

65% of Allsup employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Allsup 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.5 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Allsup to be work life balance, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, career development, management.

Popular Careers with Allsup Job Seekers