Alphatec Spine Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Alphatec Spine CEO Terry Rich
Terry Rich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There were good people who gave it their best in spite of management (in 8 reviews)

• Fun work environment competitive wages decent benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is destroying this company (in 8 reviews)

• Management process not consistent, High turnover (in 6 reviews)

"Growing Company!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Alphatec Spine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With an experienced new management team in place this company is finally headed in the right direction. Small start up feel and you get to wear a lot of hats. I have expanded responsibilities in the two years I have been here and am constantly learning new things. Great potential to make some extra $$ in ESPP program as company grows!!

Cons

With recent lay-offs there is still some uneasiness with job security although we seem to have turned that corner.

Advice to Management

Keep working with all levels to come up with the strategy. The HPMS process really has everyone bought in and excited for what is to come!

2. "Too late to succeed... with the same old game plan."

I worked at Alphatec Spine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people used to work here.

Cons

New management using the "old tricks" of the spine trade. Morale is at an all time low with few experienced people remaining,

Advice to Management

I wish you luck.

"Don't be fooled, this company will probably be sold"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Alphatec Spine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid, caring employees (those few who are left), good benefits, decent office

Cons

3 major layoffs in one year (feb 2016-feb 2017), extremely understaffed, continued low stock price, stagnant sales, tiny Marketing dept left, all signs point to priming company for sale. They can't continue on current path with no money, tiny staff, no new products and dwindling customer base. Don't be fooled by Exec pep talks, not reality.

Advice to Management

Don't leave employees high and dry when you sell, give them warning

"Regulatory Affairs Specialist"

Former Employee - Regulatory Affairs Specialist in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Regulatory Affairs Specialist in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Alphatec Spine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good learning opportunities. Many submissions to FDA.

Cons

Too many priorities. Negative culture. Too much employee turn over including bosses.

Advice to Management

Improve culture.

"Bright Future Ahead"

I have been working at Alphatec Spine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We've had a rocky recent past but our new spine-experienced executives have the vision and the proven ability to execute to turn Alphatec around and realize our great potential for success. Current employees have a rare opportunity to grow with a company that has a great culture, fantastic products, and a bright future ahead.

Cons

Prior leadership made poor decisions regarding distribution channel strategy that are affecting us in our current state but our new management has had experience at their last company fixing the problems we are currently dealing with.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and don't lose sight of the importance of transparency.

"A New ATEC"

I have been working at Alphatec Spine full-time

Pros

In the short time that I’ve been at ATEC the future has never looked brighter. There is a new executive team that brings tons of experience in the spine market to the table. The culture of the company is shifting and morale is as high as ever; it's a fun, fast paced workplace full of good people. The company is lean and working with a start-up mentality, which provides an engaging workplace and a great opportunity to learn and grow.

Cons

There is some risk involved as the company isn’t out of the woods yet. The hand the current executive team was dealt isn’t ideal and there is still work to do throughout to really get the company back on its feet, however, we have our path forward and are well on our way.

"$100m Start up, opportunities abound"

Current Employee - Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Alphatec Spine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, everybody that's worked here has always says it, and its getting better.
    There are a lot of opportunities to be realized for people who can operate in a start up environment.
    The new executive team is packed with experience and has turned companies around before. They've got a record of running successful operations and Alphatec is going to benefit tremendously from their involvement.
    High energy, high moral office, its just a fun place to work

Cons

There are still some big picture risks to the company. Sales growth and a stable Board of Directors are needed to keep Alphatec on track, but those are the same thing any company needs.
    With the last reduction in force, its a skeleton crew. You will have to fulfil job roles that you might not have initially expected to have to cover.

Advice to Management

Keep doin what you've been doing over the last 4 months. Keep following through with the plan that you've communicated and maintain the communication and transparency.

"Not Easy, But Worth It"

I have been working at Alphatec Spine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a unique turnaround opportunity. The past couple years have been difficult at Alphatec, no question. The layoffs were painful, but necessary, to right-size the organization. But New ATEC is a company with world-class products, new leadership, a committed, stubborn core of passionate employees, and a very feasible plan to turn things around. It won't be easy, but it will be engaging, rewarding, and fun. For those who thrive on learning new things, stretching themselves, solving challenges and having fun, ATEC is a great place to be.

Cons

There are headwinds, resulting from decisions made long ago, that will be carried by the organization for some time. There is a huge need for a focused strategy, around which the company can align and rally. The pieces of that strategy are coming together, but execution, in the short-term and long-term, will be key. And prior reputational damage needs to be repaired. But it can be done.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees, customers and stakeholders. Provide clear guidance, then do what you say you're going to do. Share progress, and be honest about challenges. And continue not taking yourselves too seriously.

"Looking Up"

I have been working at Alphatec Spine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of opportunities for learning and experiences. Coworkers friendly and willing to help. Can see and feel that the company is working hard to turn around the poor decisions made by past executives. One of the best product portfolios on the market, which is very encouraging to see. New CEO and executive team have great experience in spine and have positioned the company to start its turnaround.

Cons

A lot of damage done from previous executives. A big hole to climb out of. Many previous decisions not thought out completely before being made, leading to some continual headaches for current employees.

Advice to Management

Figure out sales strategy.

"Reboot"

I have been working at Alphatec Spine full-time

Pros

The new executive team is looking in the right direction to get Alphatec back on track for success. The current employees hold an unbelievable amount of potential and talent to reach the goal laid out ahead to get Alphatec to where it belongs. The new additions being made also show a promising future for the culture and environment of the office.

Cons

It has been a difficult year and lay offs are never easy for any company... the whirlwind of all past events has been a little overwhelming for everyone, but the situation we're in is temporary and we're moving to a brighter future.