Analytic Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Analytic Partners President Nancy Smith
Nancy Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The people are its greatest asset as everyone is always willing to help one another no matter how busy they may be" (in 5 reviews)

• "Some really great clients and great people" (in 7 reviews)

Cons

1. "Smart People, Strong Culture, Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Marketing Science Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Science Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Analytic Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Everyday is a new challenge whether it's data or client management
    - Managers and team members are dedicated to helping you grow and succeed
    - We leave the politics to the clients
    - Lots of new initiatives to build a strong, interpersonal office culture
    - Investment in new technology to make work less tethered to the office
    - Aggressive growth opportunities

Cons

- Some late nights
    - Not as much focus on learning or using more widely used technologies

Advice to Management

Make sure that project teams share insights and processes more with each other. We can really benefit from sharing more efficient technological processes or tips for handling client relationships

Jul 27, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful review! We appreciate hearing about your experience and are glad to learn that you enjoy working with your team members. We will share your... More

"Fake Benefits & Fake Reviews"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Analytic Partners full-time

Pros

Location's good, there's snacks and a beer cart, some good company events.

Cons

Prologue: THANK YOU, employee who wrote the "AP" review. I almost lost my sanity thinking I was the only one noticing issues given the sheer amount of fake 5-star reviews and all the office kool aid.

Cons: The way HR inflates the ratings is by emailing employees individually at different days/times - lauding benefits of positive Glassdoor reviews and asking them to write one. This puts pressure on new employees - getting the email personally and asking to have it written before they get a sense of the issues plaguing company (hours, nonexistent training, lack of challenging work, low pay etc).

Many of these are already covered in the "AP" and "Burn and Churn" reviews, so I'll add my 2 cents with the breakdown of the "benefits".

401k Matching
    - It's a 50% match up to 3% with 5 YEAR vesting. The industry standard is 6% with no vesting or 1 year vesting. In layman terms - you get a measly 3% 401K match after working for 5 YEARS with the company. Average time a new employee spends at this company is (I KID YOU NOT) 1.5 years. This means if you work here the average amount and make $60,000, the 401k contribution by the company is $240. That's it! And only if you put away 6% ($3,600).

Time Off
    -12 days! Industry standard is 18-20 days. 12 days is the minimum legal requirement in NY. The kicker here is - if you don't take them, they expire. You don't get reimbursed. They don't transfer. They're gone. Your total time off for the year - sick and vacation time - is 2 weeks! Not to mention, the layout is open space so it's easy to get sick and it's hard to get days off.

Summer Fridays
    This is my favorite fake benefit. Many start-ups are doing summer Fridays now where you can leave the office "early" at 3pm. First you're allowed about 5 short Fridays total. Next if you schedule one, you have to make up the hours you take off beforehand by working late all other days (average day is about 10 hours to begin with). And finally, you can find out on the Friday you planned to leave early that you can't. This will happen to MOST of your planned short Fridays. The saying around the office is "Summer Fridays are a privilege, not a right" but many employees haven't taken one in years or take 1-2 a year. So basically they just leave 3 hours early one day a year. That's not a privilege, that's a FAKE BENEFIT.

Training
    The benefit of working for most companies is the training you get and the amount of transferable skills. There's virtually no training here. Another review pointed out that management is actively preventing training to keep employees from leaving. I'm not sure I believe that but it's not too far out of their toolbox. All the modelling/analysis is behind the scenes, and the modeling software is unique to AP. Current analyst should ask themselves if they can do any of their work without GPSE. Do you know all the formulas? (Not just ROI) Do you know the statistical theory behind regression modelling? Can you forecast results for clients? Take a look at the skills required for other marketing analytics positions - how many do you you have? Most positions require knowledge of VBA and there's only one person at the company who knows it.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to figure out who writes these reviews and improve the company based on the advice. It might take a while, but you're in a good position for improvement.

Dec 4, 2018 – Chief People Office

Dear colleague: I just want to take a moment to acknowledge your note. While it is uncomfortable to read, it does point to some items that could benefit from clarification and further dialog. I... More

"We all have to eat."

Former Employee - Former Employee
    Former Employee - Former Employee

Pros

Some of the people are really nice.

Cons

Everything else. Work life balance is a myth. Management couldn't find water if they fell out of a boat. Constant arrivals and departures. Place is an airport. Terrible communication, no training, documentation or learning curve. You're thrown to the wolves.

Advice to Management

Get a clue.

"Meh"

Pros

Some great people. Not much else.

Cons

The company's good at sugar coating and boasting. Half of the offerings on the website are in development. They did manage to get some good clients this way but are a still a developing third tier company.

Advice to Management

Improve work life balance

"AP Review"

I worked at Analytic Partners full-time

Pros

Diverse Skillset Development: one of AP’s greatest benefits is that very early in your career, you will be able to develop a well-rounded skillset. Projects are set up such that you will hone your technical skills (e.g Excel, GPSE (AP’s proprietary modeling platform)), presentation skills (e.g. creating PowerPoints, presenting to the client), communication skills (e.g. client contact via emails/handling calls), and more. This is where AP has a leg up over other companies that have a very siloed professional development track (e.g. only Mangers present to the client, only Analysts model, etc.).

Strong Growth Opportunities: Not to sound cliche, but with hard work and constant strive to get better, you can accelerate rapidly within the company. Merit-based promotions are common; hard work, successes and accomplishments are celebrated and rewarded via promotions, salary increases and bonuses. This is certainly one of - if not the - strongest attribute of AP.

Strong Managers/Senior Management: The majority of managers and senior management truly do care about your professional development and want to ensure that you’re getting the most out of your experience with the company. My previous manager was an amazing manager and really guided me to success across the duration of my career at the company. This is common with many other managers as well; for the most part, they strive to lead by example and guide you to greatness.

Pleasant Environment: I don’t think this is necessarily unique to AP as I’m sure there are many other companies who also produce pleasant work environments, but one of the benefits at AP is that people are, for the most part, pleasant to engage with and are willing to help out in any way they can. There isn’t a culture of ‘let me step on your neck to climb to the top of the ladder.’

Merit-Based Organization: Office politics at AP are minimal to non-existent which helps make the career journey at the company enjoyable and stress free. Kissing up to management doesn’t work and certainly doesn’t guarantee you promotions or benefits as it may do at many other companies. The only way to career progression is through working hard, continuously progressing and showing potential over time. This is something that AP should always strive to keep and never lose sight of as the company continues to grow.

Casual Work Environment: This may seem like a trivial thing to mention, but the office culture is very lax and chill. You can wear jeans, t-shirts, sneakers, etc. You only dress up business casual when a client is expected to be in the office. Other cool tidbits are listening to music (I’m sure other companies allow this too - but there are some companies that have a strict rule on this), snacks in the kitchen, open office space, etc.

Desire for Feedback: AP seems to be receptive to feedback and often engages it employees to provide feedback on how the organization can improve. Not only do they solicit feedback, for the most part they act on it as well.

Cons

Dull/Monotonous/Uninspired Work: To piggy back off the review, "Burn and Churn: An Analytic Partners Anthology”, the work at AP can be boring - particularly the Marketing Mix projects. AP offers other projects such as pricing and attribution. However, with the Marketing Mix projects, it’s easy to get swallowed into a ‘rinse-wash-repeat’ cycle of updating the same project over and over and over again. There are so many times you can keep telling the client to invest in X, or do Y, or change Z. Towards the tail end of my career, I honestly felt uninspired and bored with my projects.

Lack of Technical Skill Advancement: I find it troubling that it’s a possibility to work at this company (which is in the field of Marketing/Data Analytics) for multiple years, leave, and only have Excel and PowerPoint skills to show for your experience. As many earlier reviews pointed out, the company as a whole, leverages in-house proprietary modeling software (GPSE). These skills aren’t transferable as the software is exclusive to AP. It’s possible and common to never touch renown technical programs like R, SQL, SAS, Python, etc. And the frustrating thing to add to this is the inconsistency across the organization in regards to the usage of these type of programs. Some people are fortunate enough to be placed on projects (e.g. pricing, MTA) that do require SQL, R, and Python. So you have a segment of the company that is well-versed in these platforms and another segment of the company that doesn’t have any exposure to these platforms. This is certainly AP’s weak point and could potentially hurt the company in the long run if they don’t build a workforce that is well-versed in these essential data analytic software tools.

Try Too Hard: The company tries too hard to compensate for the areas in which it lacks. AP will put together countless happy hours and social events in what seems like a distraction from the mundane everyday work and inconsistent employee development in the organization. In addition, there is a light ‘stigma’ for those who choose not to regularly attend these events. Allow individuals to attend - or not attend - these events without questioning them and covertly pressuring them to attend these events. Socializing at work or attending happy hours isn’t built for everyone. Leave it to the people who naturally enjoy it.

Compensation and Benefits: This is an area where the company has definitely improved over time, but I do believe still has ample wiggle room to grow - especially with the goal of doubling revenue in the coming years. It would be great to see some of the revenue growth trickle down to the employees, both from base pay and merit-based bonus perspectives.

Resources: For the amount of client meetings that take place, the hardware and software are severely lacking. Failing Polycom systems, lack of reliable calling tools, inconsistent client software (e.g. some people use Skype while others use Webex which isn’t as intuitive as Skype) make setting up client meetings an unenjoyable experience.

The common thread among these ‘cons’ is that the company is so focused on growing and doubling revenue that it’s losing sight of creating an enriching employee experience. The company would rather you work on a monotonous project and continue to lack critical technical skills in the world of analytics, as long as you can model on their proprietary platform and are one step closer to brining the company to doubling revenue. I think it’s important that AP takes a step back and grow organically and not force growth, because you will eventually lose employee morale and retention with the elements you have to sacrifice in order to achieve such an arbitrary goal.

Advice to Management

- Stop putting pressure on employees to attend social events (e.g. happy hours, planned events). Yes, they may seem fun to the majority of the office, but these social events aren’t for everybody. Also, I would remove the stigma of people who don’t attend these events regularly. People have lives outside of the company. Given that we work 9am - 6pm (or even later depending on projects), the last thing many people may want to do is spend their time off work talking about work (most of the social events are basically talking about work projects) or forced conversations about topics that are not of interest to others.
    - Make it an effort to better integrate technical programs into everyday projects. If you’re claiming to be a leader in the analytics space, your employees should be regularly leveraging top tools in the analytics space.
    - After achieving growth goals, strive to grow organically.

Aug 22, 2018

Thank you for providing your perspective. And also thank you for being thoughtful and balanced. You are right, we are committed to providing the best learning environment, where people feel valued... More

"Burn and Churn: An Analytic Partners Anthology"

I worked at Analytic Partners full-time

Pros

Provides consulting opportunities for people without much experience.
    Relatively high amount of client-facing time for new people.
    People in the office are pleasant.
    Nice office spaces.
    Good location.

Cons

Boring: the daily work here is very dull, repetitive and could be easily automated.

Long hours: Poor planning and management's inability to stand up to unreasonable client requests lead to 60+ hour weeks at times. There is no compensation for overtime and bonuses are small.
    Inefficient workflows: Poor data management and project planning lead to constant emergencies and lost progress, making it extremely difficult to do quality work.

Lack of skill-building: You do not learn any technical skills here, unless you count Excel and all the modeling is done on proprietary software, which means very few transferable skills.

Inability of management to support employee strengths: Many of the people here are extremely smart and come from all kinds of backgrounds, some with advanced technical degrees. Almost all of these people leave within a year because the work does not require any expertise or critical thinking, and earnest attempts to develop solutions are continually rebuffed by managers, leaving the brightest employees unhappy. The current Glassdoor score (4.4) is not reflective of the general employee sentiment at all and the turnover rate is extremely high.

Unwillingness of management to embrace new technology: AP is very slow to adapt. Employees clamor to learn technical skills like R and SQL and are continually ignored. I once heard a director express concern that letting people learn these things was just giving them a path to leave the company, demonstrating systematic suppression of employee growth.

No transparency: While everyone is extremely pleasant and friendly on a surface level, lack of accountability on all levels combined with upper management's complete inability to take constructive criticism leads to an environment where things are constantly broken and behind schedule yet no one will admit that there's a problem.

Resistance to change: When I started at AP, the issues I listed above made me nervous because I had seen them on Glassdoor, but I felt that these things were improving. Nothing has changed and a quick look through the annals of this page shows that these issues are not scaling issues, but intrinsic features of the company itself:

- 2011: " No matter how many happy hours you have and how casual you think the work environment is, people are unhappy and unless you do something about individual development, work-life balance and technology - people will continue to leave." ("Still Have Nightmares")
    - 2013: "Management maintains a model of burning out analysts and lower level employees to see who makes it to the top." ("Good learning experience, but they work you hard.")
    - 2015: "Allow people to think instead of just being as a robot following the work process!" ("If you like to become a working robot")
    - 2016: "If you are a very technical person and want something challenging, you will suffer and find this place boring" ("Great working environment, work itself is not so good")
    - 2018: “Your ability to turn a blind eye to things that don’t seem quite right is directly correlated to how much you’ll enjoy this job” (“AP”)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! While it's not pretty, the burn and churn model keeps the labor costs down and is one of the key factors in AP's growth! Seriously though, if you don't start to invest in the future your clients are going to start leaving as fast as your employees.

Aug 6, 2018

Hello, we’d like to apologize for our tardy reply. Thanks for your feedback. We are committed to providing the best learning environment, where people feel valued and empowered to succeed. So we’re... More

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Analytic Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual working environment.
    People in general are friendly.

Cons

Limited growth opportunity.
    HR does not have a full understanding of the organization.
    Below average compensation.

Advice to Management

HR needs to have a better understanding of all roles. Performance tracking system must be better managed.

Jul 27, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate hearing about your experience and glad to learn that you find your former colleagues to be friendly. AP is dedicated to improving... More

"AP"

I have been working at Analytic Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is super easy and requires basic knowledge of Excel. If working with MS Office gets you excited, this is the company for you.

The “steep learning curve” is really just trying to figure out where the latest person who quit was getting their information. If scouring countless PowerPoint files and piecing together a puzzle of how a simple ROI was calculated sounds exciting, you’ll do great.

If you like giving recommendations based on “analytics” and continuing to repeat the mistakes of those who came before you (because who cares enough to fix it?), then you’ll love it here.

Also, if it isn’t immediately apparent to you that HR asked employees to leave positive reviews, you’ll probably love it. Your ability to turn a blind eye to things that don’t seem quite right is directly correlated to how much you’ll enjoy this job.

Cons

If you’re a rational person who wants to do real data analytics, all of the things in the “Pros” section.

Advice to Management

Why are there so many of you?

Aug 6, 2018

Hello, we’d like to apologize for our tardy reply. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. AP is committed to providing the best learning environment, where people feel valued and... More

9. "Analyst Review"

Current Employee - Associate Marketing Science Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Associate Marketing Science Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Analytic Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The biggest pro to working at AP is the people and culture. There is a substantial learning curve for new hires, and the current employees are always open to answering questions or lending a hand (whether they are your direct manager or not).
    Another pro is the interplay between doing rigorous analytics and consulting. While many other companies separate these roles, as analysts at AP, you will be getting experience doing both.

Cons

A challenge has been the lack of documentation for processes.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on documentation and streamlining the new-hire on-boarding process.

Jul 27, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear that you are learning a lot. As well as taking full advantage of how much you can learn and grow. We... More

"Training Manager"

I have been working at Analytic Partners full-time

Pros

Engaging Environment, Great People, Accomplishments are recognized by Senior Management, Fast paced - a great place to be if you are a self starter, Management is open to ideas that may be different from their own.

Cons

All has been going well for my time here. Nothing to add