Anomaly Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Carl Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Company"

Pros

Flexible, Intelligent people who really care about the work

Cons

Hard to plan anything personal, but thats the ad world

Advice to Management

n/a

2. "work now pay later"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

great environment, very supportive and positive

Cons

It takes a long time to pay the freelancers

Advice to Management

Pay people more frequently instead of 4 months later

3. "CFO"

Former Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Anomaly full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a creatively and financially successful company. It is a very fast passed environment, always changing, always keeping people on their toes. It is also a great place to learn, as long as you pay close attention to all the personalities and motivations, while catching the curve balls. This is the classic, NYC Ad agency.

Cons

Be prepared for constant change. Literally, it's like the company pivots every two weeks. But they do so for good reason, the business model of agencies is under constant attack in modern times. But it can make things quite challenging for infrastructure people.

Advice to Management

Clearly communicate intent and direction. Doing so helps immensely with IT planing

"A little overrated"

I have been working at Anomaly full-time

Pros

• Free booze • Free snacks • Nice bar • Great environment • Some great friendly people

Cons

• Open space work area gets too loud to focus at times • A lot of people are fake 'cool' • Sometimes a bunch of creatives spend a lot of time doing dumb and small stuff • For the management it's always "Money First", it's not a small agency any more. • Work quality overall is far below Droga5 or W+K.

5. "Beast of Burden"

Former Employee - Brand Strategist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Brand Strategist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Anomaly full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They won agency of the year for a reason. It takes blood, sweat, and tears to be the best. If you enjoy being great, and then making great even better, you should give it a shot here. I worked in the LA office. It is a startup tackling some of the world's biggest clients and issues. It is respectable work, in my opinion. Even in advertising. It is possible.

Cons

Negative perceptions depend on how you see your career in advertising, I guess. Is your glass half full, empty, or shattered?

To me, the cons included spreading ourselves too thin and wasting our collective talent on projects that went nowhere. Even though the projects that mattered (aka tons of billings and huge client recognition) really went above and beyond-- even then some of the best ideas and strategies within those key-projects were lost. Hours of attention, love, and care were lost because we didn't have the creative 'balls' to fight for killer ideas even when Anomaly claims to be unreasonable.

I felt too unreasonable for this place, but obviously context, circumstance, and external things can influence that. I was not fired, although I was willing to risk being fired to ensure the best work goes out the door instead of 'good' work.

I have no cons that really impacted my perception there, except for a lack of an ECD for the entire time I was there. Leadership is important obviously. And without a powerful creative person that can fight for the Creativity, you're just really smart with no stupid (Diesel campaign reference).

Advice to Management

Get an ECD. Believe in your people. Focus on the work, who cares about how it's made. Your job is to make good work and good influence on the world. Not have fun. Obviously, fun leads to good work but-- priorities my guy.

6. "Demanding and rewarding"

I worked at Anomaly full-time

Pros

Work hard, play hard culture. Really smart people.

Cons

You have to work really hard to keep up.

"Extremely Political, Growing Too Fast"

I have been working at Anomaly full-time

Pros

The best culture than any other agency I've been to. Everyone is extremely friendly, smart and cool. Even though the agency is growing at a ridiculous pace, it still feels like a small, cool shop full of amazing people. Everyone is very passionate about the work.

Cons

This place is so political, it's out of control. You really need to either backstab, burn other people and/or suck up to senior management in order to be noticed and to further advance in your career here, it's really a shame. They also tend to let go a lot of talented people pretty often due to unknown/random reasons, and the way they go about it is weird and shady. Overall it feels like the agency is more about about revenue and making money at the end of the day rather than thinking of the people.

Advice to Management

Don't lose the culture and vibe that made Anomaly special in the first place and don't get too big for your britches. Also, think about the other talented, smart people who's agenda's isn't solely about kissing up to you.

8. "hard to live up too"

Former Employee - Writer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Writer in New York, NY

I worked at Anomaly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

casual environment but also trendy
    friendly people and a cool vibe
    they have a bar
    good for people who like to stay busy
    a lot of smart people work here
    agency of the year
    no discrimination

Cons

a lot of micromanagement
    people judge you if you leave early
    late nights and weekends are expected. live to work not work to live mentality.
    little to no communication between accounts/strat/creative
    take advertising too seriously which makes it not fun

Advice to Management

be honest and up front with team members and set realistic goals for everyone. dont take work so seriously.

9. "Creative and casual"

I worked at Anomaly full-time

Pros

Everyone there is a pro, they've worked at other companies before. The work is excellent.

Cons

Scheduling can be chaotic and resources can be small for projects. Unnecessary late nights at times.

Advice to Management

Respect employees' time and schedule meetings and work to be done humanely. Every person there is working hard, no need to burn them out.

10. "A lot of hours for little work"

Former Employee - Strategic Planning, Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Strategic Planning, Director in New York, NY

I worked at Anomaly (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people and strong culture

Cons

Completely disorganized and little autonomy

Advice to Management

Take a break