Automattic Reviews | Glassdoor

Automattic CEO Matt Mullenweg
Matt Mullenweg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"The future of work"

I have been working at Automattic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The flexibility of working from home is a tremendous benefit of working at Automattic, I think that it has provided an immeasurable improvement in the quality of life that my family and I now enjoy.
    I want to also note that as a data scientist, the dedication to developing a solid infrastructure for analytics has been a great factor in my productivity. I have observed that the company is dedicated to an increasingly data-informed approach.
    I have observed also that the company has made a commitment to inclusion -- it is by no means perfect but in these times the ability to encourage feedback and to act upon it the best starting point possible.
    I have also witnessed the active promotion of women to positions of technical leadership within the company.

Cons

- I would encourage a shorter interview process. There are many that are discouraged by the length and it is also exclusionary to those who can't afford to devote a lot of time and resources to the effort.

"Love My Job!"

Current Employee - Payroll Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Payroll Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Automattic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome Company! 100% remote, home office setup, top-notch medical benefits (100% employer paid), smart/kind people, travel opportunity, unlimited vacation time, sabbatical after 5 years. Most important, the people here are smart, friendly, supportive and progressive. I have worked for two other stellar companies and Automattic is definitely giving both of them a run for the money. If you see a job you are interested in and qualified for, definitely apply! Overall an excellent place to work!

Cons

Great company, no cons to share.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing because you are doing it right.

"Awesome, mission-driven place to work"

Current Employee - Happiness Engineer Team Lead in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Happiness Engineer Team Lead in Denver, CO

I have been working at Automattic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to work on projects across the company and expand your impact outside of your direct role.

Leadership is very supportive of continued professional growth. There are plenty of opportunities to pursue learning through conferences, online courses, and/or books.

The compensation and benefits are unlike any other.

We communicate through p2, not through email. That's a breath of fresh air!

The culture is open and honest so there are opportunities to get real feedback on your work and improve.

You get the satisfaction of working on a big mission - make the web a better place and democratize publishing online. It's really gratifying to hear from our users about how WordPress.com/Automattic has helped them to share their thoughts online or start a business.

Oh, and the remote working aspect is really awesome. I can't imagine working any other way 😃

Cons

The company has grown substantially since I first joined. With that, we've worked hard to improve how we handle communication and team member recognition. We're continuing to work on both of those areas. Not a "con" per se, but just an area we're working at actively!

"Happy Automattician"

Current Employee - Marketing Designer
    Current Employee - Marketing Designer

I have been working at Automattic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An unmatched opportunity to grow and learn as a contributor and leader. Coming from a traditional ad agency background I didn't know what to expect working as an in-house creative, but after a few months of an adjustment period, I couldn't be more happier with my choice. The benefits, work/life balance, the ability to do meaningful work are on a different level. Another amazing benefit I can see after my first few months at Automattic is company's dedicated focus on nurturing and supporting the (creative) talent. It took me a few months to let go of my agency bred insecurities and trust issues to relax and enjoy these personal and professional growth opportunities.

Cons

Adjusting to the remote work can be a challenge, it will require you to question and readjust your previously established work and social habits. Automattic is a company of senior-level contributors, it will take an extra effort to gain personal confidence in your work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and fight hard to sustain the transparency you established

"Best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Product Designer
    Current Employee - Product Designer

I have been working at Automattic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For the first time in my life, I can say that I have found a company that truly cares for its employees. Great benefits, health insurance coverage, retirement plan.

Cons

Company stopped giving stock options at least two years ago.

"Good, but strangely directionless company."

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Remote, OR

I worked at Automattic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Complete autonomy, sabbaticals after 5 years, completely distributed work, nice people, lots of opportunities to travel, good pay.

Cons

The rules are applied inconsistently.. The company prides itself on dealing closely with individuals, but really it just leads to unfairness, since decisions are made quite simply on how much you are liked by the CEO, if your opinions fit in with his, and how well you manage to sell your own case to decisionmakers. Decisions are not based on strict policies; they are completely subjective, and therefore, subject to strong bias.

The company strategy is unclear to most people, and goalposts constantly moving at the whims of the CEO. People's tendency to do things dogmatically -things they know Matt the CEO "likes" and avoid anything he generally dislikes- is dangerous to the company's future. There's so much space for innovation and challenging the status-quo, but noone truly does, because they're all afraid of annoying Matt. Many times you will be told to do X, because Matt doesn't like Y. It doesn't matter that doing X will be more productive, better value, or even give better results. First and foremost you recommend what you know Matt likes. He is well known for responding quite rudely and abrupty to some people.

If you're outside of the U.S., you'll be a contractor. The money is decent, but you'll get no health, retirement, or any of the benefits that the U.S. employee does..

Another downside is the lack of hierarchy, to an extent. What it means is that there's no clear path for development or move up the ladder, and no real impetus to try harder. They insist that there is no hierarchy. This is good if all you want is a decent-paying job with no push to move up the ladder.

Advice to Management

Pronounce a strategy. Stay apolitical; Twitter and Tumbler are insufferable because of the politics. Wordpress just "being" and not forcing politics on everyone is what makes it great, and perennial.

"Great company but weird culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Automattic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Amazing benefits
    - Remote and very flexible
    - Smart co-workers
    - Lots of travel, if you're on a good team.
    - The pay is great but also appeared random compared to others.
    - Saying you worked at Automattic is really good for the resume.
    - You will work on a ton of different projects which keeps things interesting and always learning.

Cons

- Nearly impossible to switch teams.
    - They will force American cultural values and disregard the diversity of the company from all over the world.
    - Don't cause drama. Keep to yourself and do the work.
    - If you're not the right fit for the team, tough luck.

Advice to Management

The role of a team lead need to be reviewed. It's very much a ladder despite what you're telling others.

8. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Happiness Engineer in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Happiness Engineer in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Automattic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and company culture.

Cons

No cons that I can think of!

"Happiness Engineer"

I worked at Automattic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

An enjoyable place to work with a great group of people

Cons

Not a con, but the company grew fast and had some growing pains.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Automattic full-time

Pros

Allows for a flexible work schedule

Cons

Distributed nature can be isolating