Cover image for Automattic

70 Comments

Tech

454K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Automattic~751107
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Benefits are great and you can make your own hours.(in 33 reviews)
  • "I think the culture is great as well.(in 19 reviews)
  • "Good salary if you live outside the United States.(in 18 reviews)
  • "great colleagues, I’m surrounded by intelligent people all the time(in 15 reviews)
  • "The people are friendly and they care a lot about their employees welfare.(in 15 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Automattic and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Excellent

Nov 27, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- opportunities to actually learn new skills, not just skills required for one project. - great pay, awesome benefits - great colleagues, I’m surrounded by intelligent people all the time - you can take new ideas and run with them

Cons

- there’s a lot of talk about diversity but there’s still room to grow, being more reflective of the population - people can often work in silos which are hard to break through

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

My Dream Company

Oct 22, 2022 - Senior JavaScript Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Prior to joining Automattic I didn't believe the term "dream company" was real but I can honestly say I found my dream company here at Automattic. My colleagues are some of the nicest people that I've ever worked with, they are always ready to help and share their knowledge. The environment is very inclusive, we have people all over the world and everyone is treated equally. The work-life balance is amazing due to the async work nature and the open vacation policy.

Cons

The only downside that comes to mind is the interview process, it is very hard and it can last a long time. However one can argue that this exact process is the reason for all of the amazing colleagues you are going to work with because everyone has been very carefully filtered and selected through the interview process.

3. Join the Automattic team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Smoke and Mirrors

Nov 23, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly, helpful colleagues from across the world. Remote, asynchronous culture. Health care and 401k are great. Good salary if you live outside the United States.

Cons

Inexperienced leadership and a lack of product culture. Lack of salary transparency. Chaotic organization with little collaboration across teams and divisions. Projects are killed without warning. Diversity isn't a priority as the workforce, despite being global, is mostly white and white-passing men.

5. 5.0
    Former Employee

I was happy to work there

Nov 16, 2022 - Code Wrangler in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- good salary - great coleques

Cons

- jumping between projects, not clear plan

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Oct 14, 2022 - Premiere Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone I've worked with at Automattic has been kind and very knowledgeable. Always a pleasure to work with my coworkers. Opportunities to learn, grow, and progress your career. You are given the tools and resources you need to get your work done. I think the culture is great as well. Whenever any one is blocked the rest of the team rallies around them to assist in getting them unblocked. There is wonderful teamwork at Automattic.

Cons

No downsides working at Automattic for me.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work

Oct 24, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, colleagues, products, mission and work-life balance.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for

Sep 4, 2022 - Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

- I n s a n e l y flexible hours (remote, not timezone dependent, async communication). - Empathetic CEO - Culture of blogging and strong online communication - Ability to focus on the work you want to do - Low BS

Cons

Lack of organizational focus. While some projects are straight shooters, the lack of top-down management sometimes reflects in velocity of non-core teams. They have a strong dependency on individual intrinsic motivation, which is both a blessing and a curse.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Decent benefits, but current support standards leave little room for work-life balance

Oct 31, 2022 - Happiness Engineer in Albemarle, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

You'll be paid well and be offered great benefits including travel opportunities almost immediately.

Cons

Generally high turnover for an entity that needs to invest more into upskilling support engineers and hiring more developers to address product gaps & bugs.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Get out

Oct 18, 2022 - Director of Sales Development
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are decent, fully remote work is nice but no longer a competitive differentiator.

Cons

Everything else. Culture of blame and complacency. They don’t invest in their people. They hire executive leadership externally, those hires don’t yield results, then they disappear in the night. Tons of politicking. If you’re good at what you do, you can chill here for life as long as you don’t expect any career progression.

6 people found this review helpful
  11. 5.0

A Truly Different Company

Jun 21, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The organization is focused on long-term success, and it is showcased in the way it invests in its employees and how it manages its finances. The work-life balance possible with Automattic is like no other due to the organization culture and provided benefits — which is a massive perk.

Cons

A personal drive to explore and achieve more is required to be truly successful at Automattic, as there is rarely a clearly defined, neatly packaged "path" handed to each employee. Also, one is likely able to find higher compensation elsewhere if that is the top priority.

1 person found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 214 Reviews
</>Embed

Automattic Reviews FAQs

Automattic has an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5, based on over 247 reviews left anonymously by employees. 90% of employees would recommend working at Automattic to a friend and 77% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Automattic employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Automattic. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

90% of Automattic employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Automattic 4.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.6 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Automattic to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership .

Popular Careers with Automattic Job Seekers