Axios Reviews

Updated May 31, 2020

4.9
Axios CEO Jim VandeHei
Jim VandeHei
Pros
  • "Creative work environment and supportive coworkers(in 8 reviews)

• "We're unified in pursuit of building a thriving media company(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "We are still very young and experiencing the growing pains that come with fast growth(in 9 reviews)

• "This is a fast-paced environment so jump in(in 9 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"great place to work, taking great care of us during pandemic"

Current Employee - Reporter in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Axios full-time for less than a year

Pros

transparent, honest, caring, innovative, smart

Cons

nothing to speak of so far!

2. COVID-19

"Formative editorial experience"

Current Employee - Editorial in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Axios full-time

Pros

Can only speak for the editorial side: - Great opportunity to gain experience. - The Axios brand goes a long way. - Company is willing to try new things, products, projects. And things go into motion quickly. - Most editorial management is very willing to work with you, listen, compromise. - Good at sifting out fluffy, non-essential stories. - Company does have three white-male founders, and the majority of our most prominent reporters are white men. But they've become cognizant of that issue over the years and are actively trying to hire more women, POC, etc. Shows growth. - Company has been very supportive throughout the pandemic, including mental health days and work-from-home stipends. - The people are by and large amazing. I've made a lot of friends here and love working for a company that cares about its people's wellbeings.

Cons

- Growth opportunities within the editorial teams are very unclear. A lot of folks, particularly the younger staffers, feel like they've been hired into roles that have no trajectory, and that they'll have to leave the company to be given new opportunities, or wait around an irrational amount of time. This is partially to be expected with a startup, but it's still not great to hire people and then repeatedly tell folks that even if they deserve it, there's no way up the ladder for them. - Most of the staff is extremely talented, but there are some folks who were simply bad hires. Staff has flagged these bad hires many times, and management even acknowledges that some people are ill-fit for their roles, but nobody is ever removed.

3. COVID-19

"The first company I've worked for that really sticks to their values, inside and out"

Current Employee - Producer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Axios full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Transparent and communicative leadership - Added benefits during the Pandemic like mental health days and a work from home stipend - Very diverse company with a lot of women in positions of power - Thorough hiring process - everyone here is very smart and very hardworking - Collaborative environment, where pretty much all departments intersect and work together

Cons

Not a con for me, but it's very fast paced. This is a media company that decides what they want to do next, and then immediately figures out how to implement it. There's no sitting around and twiddling your thumbs.

4. "Solid place to work"

Current Employee - Future Correspondent in New York, NY

I have been working at Axios full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent HR support staff, strong company culture, excellent communication from above, competitive salaries, strong business plan and sustainability

Cons

A little cold and competitive. Can be a bit hard to crack initially.

5. "Great Culture, Honest Leadership"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Axios full-time for less than a year

Pros

work/life balance transparency and access to leaders agile + open to new ideas growth opportunities good health benefits with lots of options talented workforce

Cons

office location - outside DC limited (small) commuter benefit

Continue reading

"Start-up vision meets veteran experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Axios full-time for less than a year

Pros

Incredible laboratory for innovation, creativity, fusion, media, business, visuals, networking and storytelling.

Cons

I don't have any real cons. This is one of the happiest, most motivated workplaces in the US that I know of.

"The best place I've ever worked!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Axios full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked in finance, consulting, and tech and been exposed to all types of different kinds of leaders...the Axios founders and leadership team are by far the most genuine, hard-working, and honest group of people I've ever worked with. They practice what they preach...radical transparency, constant communication, and humility. They care deeply about the company and the mission, but they also care deeply for their employees. All teams are extremely collaborative and hard-working which is super refreshing...at some orgs you always wonder "should I be asking this person this?" but at Axios I feel comfortable going to ANY of my colleagues knowing that if they can't help me, they'll at least try to point me in the right direction. Your colleagues and teammates make you want to be a better employee and a better person.

Cons

Everything I mentioned above makes the culture very unique and that might not be for everyone.

Continue reading

"Amazing company, great leaders!"

I have been working at Axios full-time

Pros

The best of the best work here. Everyone here works as a team

Cons

Small company means that sometimes you might be asked to do more than one thing. However, everyone on your team will be extremely appreciative and grateful.

9. COVID-19

"As good as a startup can get"

Current Employee - Managing Editor

I have been working at Axios full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The leadership team has our back, and we can advocate for ourselves. I appreciate the way we are thoughtful about big decisions and hope the level of communication holds past the coronavirus crisis.

Cons

It's a startup: The hours can suck, the pay scale isn't as generous as the established firms, and you're always working with a leaner team and fewer resources than you'd prefer.

Continue reading

"Best place I’ve ever worked at"

I have been working at Axios full-time for less than a year

Pros

I’ve never been part of a company or organization that offers this level of transparency from the leaders, inclusive culture and support groups (ERGs), great benefits, true appreciation for every single employee, and is filled with this many creative, ambitious, and genuine people. There’s a wonderful culture here and part of that is because of the People/Talent team’s thoughtful dedication to setting you up for success from the very first day and also continuing to find ways to enhance your experience here. This is a company that truly cares about their work and the people who make it all happen. And that is very rare.

Cons

This is a very fast-paced environment so that might not be for everyone.

Found 107 reviews