BDA Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
BDA CEO Jay Deutsch
Jay Deutsch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It is a very unique work environment and they always strive to be the best (in 8 reviews)

• There are some good people in the warehouse and long term call center employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance, they get rid of employees constantly (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management seems to be a joke, they have moved up in the company but aren't great leaders (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best place I've worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodinville, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodinville, WA

I have been working at BDA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked for some of the top 100 US Companies as well as small private ones. This is the best place. I'm valued, rewarded and love coming to work.

- Great group of people to work with. You are welcomed and supported by everyone here.
    - Jay & Eric are passionately involved in the business. This can be good & bad, yet their involvement keeps the business growing and meeting the next challenge.
    - The environment motivates you to stretch your capabilities, meet the challenge and move to the next level.

Cons

It's a work hard, play hard mentality. If you don't like to work hard, don't join us.

We're an entrepreneurial company, which means fast pace, figure it out and make it happen the best way. I call it organized chaos...if you want structure, minimal changes and a normal job, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your team, especially from the bottom level up.

2. "Great experience, would go back"

Pros

Great atmosphere, cool people to work with, seems like they care about their employees and the experience they have here

Cons

Some midlevel management not great at communicating objectives.

"Worse Company Ever"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Woodinville, WA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Woodinville, WA

I have been working at BDA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a bad place for amateurs and starters

Cons

Full of discrimination. Un-educated executive and directors. Low pays. No respect for talents. The most non responsive HR department. Cheap, and don't invest in innovation.

Advice to Management

Hire an educated CEO and all the execs and directors!

"Some pros, more cons."

Former Employee - National Account Manager in Woodinville, WA
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in Woodinville, WA

I worked at BDA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to work with some great companies and brands. For the most part the management leaves you alone if you do your work. They like to party a lot, so if that's a positive to you, it's a plus. Jay (CEO) seems to know everyone by name and really believes in his 'Tiggers' who do a good job. If he knows your name, you are doing something well. They have a day of difference that gives back to the local communities, for about 3 hours during the all company sales meeting. You can get some cool products and perks if you are on the better accounts.

Cons

BDA has really focused lately to expanding globally, they have recently merged with about 5 companies from England to Manila to Boston. This has grown their sales force and clients and have lost track of their current sales or clients. There is a reason why companies and people are leaving, a lot has to do with the lack of support for sales staff and customer service for the clients. BDA tries to implement too many new strategies that refocus sales and sales support. Most recently, they have asked us to complete a daily survey rating the folks we work with daily. The questions were very general, and didn't allow for constructive criticism. I'm not sure this information was ever used.

If you try to move up in the company, you really need to be a top sales person or put in many extra house on the sales support side. The sales support teams do so much work, for not that much money. You put in over 50 hours a week and since you are salaried employee, that is the expectation.

Upper management seems to be a joke, they have moved up in the company but aren't great leaders. They do not take responsibility for their mistakes or dropped balls and will blame the account or program managers. I have seen many account or program managers who have been asked to leave as a result of errors because of the VPs. The company restructured a few years ago changing who was the overall VP for their clients and this caused so many dropped opportunities and growth areas, that clients were looking elsewhere.

Since when I first started, the atmosphere has completely changed, the attitudes in the halls is very very low. Their core value is BDA Family, and it doesn't feel like that, at all. They do a lot of things to promote this family, but it seems very forced within the lower level employees and even some management staff.

The bonus structures are out of reach and very unattainable. If you knock it out of the park in sales, but miss your margin by 0.01, and your team doesn't hit their goal, you are only eligible for 1/4 of the possible annual bonuses.

The website development teams needs to be updated, there seems to always be issues with the clients' websites, that comes back and reflects poorly on the account management teams which affect their bonus and sales.

The MFC also needs to spend more money on their warehouse associates. Amazon just moved in not too long ago and offers a more competitive salary so many warehouse staff is leaving for higher wage positions. This leaves the shipping department overworked, under paid and will miss-ship clients orders or not ship them at all. There has been pallets of clients products sitting in the warehouse unopened since September 2017. As of Jan 2018, they were still sitting there unopened, because there just isn't enough support. Again, this reflects poorly on the account management teams and their bonuses and sales are affected as a result.

We have not been able to offer valued added services due to the lack of employment at the MFC and needed to outsource these to our supplies, which cost more than our internal service costs. So we are charging our clients more money, or losing the sale to a competitor who can source a lower price with a competitor of ours.

BDA has outsourced some support positions to Manila, this has not gone well. The folks over seas try hard, but it is just not a position they are used to or a style of work that is needed for our domestic clients. They have messed up orders, missed in hands dates, and have sent proprietary information to the clients. This all affects the sales teams, bonuses and client relationships.

Advice to Management

Stop restructuring so much. Rethink your VP's roles and if they are a good fit for growth of the company. Evaluate your bonus structures, or maybe you don't want to, because its better for the overall bottom line. Spend a little more on some top talent web developers. Increase your hourly wage for warehouse staff, you are losing customers and employees left and right as a result of poor MFC wages and management. Offer promotion opportunities.

"Think Twice"

I have been working at BDA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On the eastside is a plus

Cons

no work/life balance, they get rid of employees constantly

Advice to Management

replace your HR employees

"STOP - DONT DO IT!"

Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Woodinville, WA
    Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Woodinville, WA

I have been working at BDA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They paid me..........and provided alcohol to numb the pain

Cons

If BDA walls could talk.....

It's a sad, sad place to work. BDA is full of secrets and those secrets are to hide the fact they don't have processes that work, they treat their employees like garbage and they don't have the decency to pay people their worth.

BTW - Spend some time googling the CEO and his $13.3 million dollar mansion. While you're living paycheck to paycheck after 60 hour workweeks, he's smiling down at his "Tigger family" on his 75-foot yacht

"Totally mismanaged company"

I worked at BDA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of alcohol (like all the time)

Cons

The HR department is totally incompetent and the management team is being lead by a CEO that has no clue how to run a business. They say team and family, but have no loyalty to anyone even 20 year employees. Hours are long and pay is crap and they don't pay overtime.

Advice to Management

Take some management courses, get rid of the whole HR team and stop listening to Jay.

"Work here, and you will realize you will have no family or personal life."

Former Employee - Business Data Analyst in Plainfield, IN
    Former Employee - Business Data Analyst in Plainfield, IN

I worked at BDA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

hmm, good question.
    They did pay me.
    If you are a workaholic, you'll love this place. That isn't a joke.

Cons

I don't know where to start. I was hired as a data analyst, and ended up to doing data entry because the warehouse is a total wreck. Job title/Job description doesn't matter. You'll do whatever they need you to do, and you'll put in weekends and nights doing it. When you push back about working 12 hour days, seven days a week, the you won't be considered a "Tiger" and they WILL fire you. It is that simple.
    In 20 years this has been the worst job I have ever had. I am glad pleased it is finally over.

Advice to Management

You are imploding. Since you churn and burn your employees it is only a matter of time.
    Sell it if you can, and take the money and run. Seriously! You cannot follow your own motto on the door. Your customers are mad because no one is getting their orders. And employees have had it. Is you could only hear the lunchtime conversations. The rest of the reviews on on the mark. Think about that. Is this really you want to be a part of? This is your dream?

"Poor work/life balance."

Former Employee - Production Support Associate in Woodinville, WA
    Former Employee - Production Support Associate in Woodinville, WA

I worked at BDA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It seemed as though the company was run by a 21 year old. Lots of fun work parties/events. Free unlimited food/drinks at the events. All the departments go all out for Halloween. The coworkers are incredible and really help you get through the day. Help is often available if you seek it. Supervisors will send emails out to the whole team when one person is overwhelmed. I definitely do not regret the experience I got out of this. It doesn't feel like an entry level role because you experience the same problems that people who have been there for 5+ years experience, and it is a great introduction to the fast paced corporate world.

Cons

It seemed as though the company was run by a 21 year old. Very poor distribution of work, where some people will be there 11 hours a day and some people leave early every day. Often given very ambiguous tasks with little direction. Success often goes unnoticed and 1 problem seems like the end of the world. EXTREMELY unrealistic bonus structure, where you have to reach about 99% accuracy in each category in order to bonus. And there are 2 ways to bonus, but to get the second one you have to achieve the first one, but since it is so unrealistic everyone pretty much gets nothing. And the Client Services Coordinator on your team cannot bonus unless the PSA bonuses, so again, no one bonuses.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and reevaluate the distribution of work. Most of the supervisors and managers come from a PSA background, yet it seems like they don't always look out for the individuals on the team, just the numbers you bring in. Restructure the bonus system to make provide any sort of incentive to do well.

"A great company for draining morale."

I have been working at BDA full-time

Pros

I still get to work with my co-workers from before we were bought out by BDA. Pay is fine.

Cons

- Uncaring management and superiors.
    - HR doesn't care about complaints and will either steamroll you until you give up or ignore you, seniority trumps facts in their decisions.
    - Outsourced support staff is overworked, undertrained, and is discouraged from taking the ball and running with it.
    - Using order management technology from 1998. A newer alternative has been presented but was ignored.
    - The health insurance, while being Blue Cross Blue Shield, is crap. We have two dentists within a 50 mile radius who we can go to and be covered. There isn't an HMO option, only PPO, which while it's fairly inexpensive, you get nickel and dimed for every appointment / lab work.
    - "Mandatory Fun". Stop calling employees "Tiggers" you have a workforce made up of adults, not eight year olds, it's embarassing.
    - Trying to go the extra mile is discouraged. You're encouraged to stay in your lane, do your work, and not question anything.

Advice to Management

Your HR staff is toxic and is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Upgrade your software to a program made this millennium, it'll improve workflow, make the job easier, and give senior sales associates more time to be proactive rather than reactionary. Stop treating remote offices like their opinions don't matter and that they're afterthoughts.

I can't reiterate this enough, stop calling us "Tiggers".