BDA Reviews | Glassdoor

BDA CEO Jay Deutsch
Jay Deutsch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "no work/life balance, they get rid of employees constantly" (in 11 reviews)

• "Upper management seems to be a joke, they have moved up in the company but aren't great leaders" (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best place I've worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodinville, WA

I have been working at BDA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked for some of the top 100 US Companies as well as small private ones. This is the best place. I'm valued, rewarded and love coming to work.

- Great group of people to work with. You are welcomed and supported by everyone here.
    - Jay & Eric are passionately involved in the business. This can be good & bad, yet their involvement keeps the business growing and meeting the next challenge.
    - The environment motivates you to stretch your capabilities, meet the challenge and move to the next level.

Cons

It's a work hard, play hard mentality. If you don't like to work hard, don't join us.

We're an entrepreneurial company, which means fast pace, figure it out and make it happen the best way. I call it organized chaos...if you want structure, minimal changes and a normal job, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your team, especially from the bottom level up.

Jun 1, 2018 – Recruiter

Hi,

We’re so happy to hear about your positive experience at BDA. It is a great group of people to work with and we are glad that you feel welcomed and supported by our wonderful team.

Our... More

2. "Wonderful people and environment"

I have been working at BDA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have a wonderful team with great people to work with! With any job, there are good days and bad days but it's the people around you that make those bad days better. There's a lot of learning opportunities and room for growth.

Cons

There are no cons for me at this time

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience at BDA. We have a truly amazing team at BDA and we are happy that you are working with great people!

We are here if you'd like to continue... More

3. "Mixed feelings"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodinville, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodinville, WA

I worked at BDA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best people I have ever worked with. Jay is one of the most passionate people I have ever met.

Cons

Several departments are grossly understaffed.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your people and your tech. Spend a little more of those record profits on your people. Put your people before your clients.

"So Far So Good"

I have been working at BDA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with BDA for almost 11 months now and I've seen both sides of what most of the reviews on here touch on.

- Work hard/play hard environment
    - Frequent and fun company events
    - Beer Friday
    - Working on projects for international & Fortune 500 companies
    - Friendly staff
    - Company is growing rapidly
    - Many career paths if you want to try something different
    - Woodinville is a nice city to work in (next to wineries and more)
    - Benefits package is great
    - Pretty flexible with time off
    - "Make what you want out of it" attitude
    - Gives you the opportunity to create the change/improvements that you see fit
    - Great environment for someone who is driven and self disciplined
    - Annual reviews

Cons

- Everyone wears multiple hats
    - Starting salary was significantly lower than what what I was expecting (especially in this absurd housing market)
    - Sales driven company which doesn't seem to invest as much in the other areas/departments
    - A bit outdated... Seems like the company is just beginning to hatch from its 90's / 2000's shell
    - Understaffed in certain areas. Puts a lot of pressure of some employees to make up for the job that has yet to be created or staffed

Advice to Management

Like I said, I've seen and heard both sides of the spectrum that people are praising as well as booing. I think it must be very challenging to balance the growth of the overall company with how/where to funnel the growth into the different departments within the company.... My experience has truly been "it is what you make of it" which is challenging not only to the self, but to your superiors whom you need to sell any idea/improvement you want to see happen. Frankly, it's very exciting for me but may not be for someone else who wants more structure and a clear set of guidelines.

With so much turnover at the new hire level, maybe it's a good idea to really look into which departments have the most turnover and evaluate the people running the department. Even if they have been there for 5/10/15/20 years.

Oct 16, 2018 – Recruiter

Hi,

Thank you for providing your feedback. You highlighted many of the things we love about BDA as well and we apprecitate your effort to share this with us. It’s motivating and appreciated... More

5. "Culture"

I have been working at BDA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting business model
    Discounted merchandise

Cons

Long working hours
    Dated systems
    Lame benefits

Advice to Management

Pay more to hire better qualified individuals

Oct 16, 2018 – Recruiter

Hi,

Thank you for providing this feedback. I’m sorry that you feel BDA’s compensation package is inadequate.

On an annual basis we review and compare our combination of fixed and incentive... More

"CSC"

Pros

Fun company events and flexible

Cons

The pay absolutely stinks. You’re not compensated for the work you do.

Sep 18, 2018 – Recruiter

Hi,

On an annual basis, we review and compare our combination of fixed and incentive... More

7. "A Fun Place to Work"

Current Employee - Client Services Coordinator (CSC) in Woodinville, WA
    Current Employee - Client Services Coordinator (CSC) in Woodinville, WA

I have been working at BDA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-BDA has a strict work hard/play hard mentality that I really enjoy. Company functions are often always a blast. They work hard to create a company culture and foster teamwork/communication across all departments
    -The founders/owners are very down to earth and visible.
    -Salaried position has it's pros and cons, but generally you are not expected to work more than 40 hours a week unless there is something urgent and you're able to leave early if your team has completed it's work for the day.
    -Supervisors and Managers are very supportive and focus on your needs and development within the company.
    -I've never had trouble getting time off approved for vacation or doctor appointments as long as I gave adequate notice.
    -Benefits are good and there are a LOT of discounts available through our vendors and clients.

Cons

-Your hours and workload vary depending on the account you are assigned to, which you have little to no control over.
    -BDA is not known for high wages, this causes a lot of turn over from what I've seen.
    -I started as a contracted employee and my contract was only supposed to last 3 months, but I wasn't hired on full-time until 6 months.

Advice to Management

Consider raising wages to keep more experienced employees.

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you are having a good experience at BDA. We take creating a positive company culture seriously, so we are happy that you have seen great... More

8. "A fast paced fun environment... You will never be bored here!"

I have been working at BDA full-time

Pros

Great team, great flexibility, and great opportunities for advancement. BDA believes in promoting from within.
    Work life balance at BDA can be great but you have to manage your schedule. You will be busy at BDA and it is up to you to maintain a healthy work life balance.

Cons

High turnover in some departments trickles into other areas as there seem to be training issues with new hires and getting them up to speed. This directly affects our relationships with clients.
    Day to day can be meeting heavy, there is a lot of multi-tasking on days where you have back to back meetings.

Advice to Management

It would be great to focus on and improve the processes at the warehouse as this directly impacts our relationships with clients.
    Focus on reducing the high turnover rate in some departments. We need to keep our hard workers!

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your experience at BDA. Work-life balance is vital to the success of our company and our associates and we are glad that you have found a positive balance.

Associate... More

"Disorganized Unprofessionals"

I worked at BDA full-time

Pros

They provide an onsite Happy Hour.

Cons

Antiquated systems that impede efficiency and results in amateurish presentation styles to the clients. Several managers are not qualified - in some cases, no credentials - for their subject matter. They are in roles that should be earned by professional accomplishments, not just because you've been there 10 years. Not very inclusive of remote offices and corp. communication is lacking. Colleagues compete against each other, as opposed to help build each other up. I witnessed "forwarding" of external e-mail content, that would be edited to cover up individual's mistakes, before the message was seen by management. They call everyone "Tiggers" which is rather juvenile.

Advice to Management

You have numerous resources at your disposal, not just people in Woodinville. The culture could use a round of ethics training to increase professional trust. Your reputation as "bullies" is becoming a talking point within the industry. You may want to rethink your approach. Stop using Disney's Tigger image without the copyright.

Aug 28, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback.

Communication, whether positive or negative is important for us to hear, that’s why we conduct our monthly all company video conference... More

10. "Change"

Current Employee - Buyer/Planner in Woodinville, WA
    Current Employee - Buyer/Planner in Woodinville, WA

I have been working at BDA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I find that BDA encourages change. They look at processes and strive to have a continuous improvement. They are open to suggestions and value employee opinions. Employees need to take the initiative and open line of communication with management. We are encouraged to share time saving ideas to improve the department/company efficiency.

Cons

I an employee isn't willing to add to the conversation, the processes can be put into practice without their input.

Advice to Management

I think management should check with the departments subject experts before implementing change

Aug 9, 2018 – Recruiter

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. We are both open to suggestions and value employee opinions greatly. We are so glad that you recognize this!

We will continue to work hard to better... More