BSA LifeStructures Reviews | Glassdoor

Melissa Davis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Love it!"

I have been working at BSA LifeStructures full-time

Pros

There are so many positives it would be hard to list them. The vision and mission of the company is in the front of the minds of both leadership and the staff. We do really important work - "inspired solutions that improve lives" with excellence in design and delivery. That in itself is a pro for working here.

Cons

There are a lot of things going on to make the firm better. That's not really a con but it does come with some growing pains. The firm is handling it well from my perspective.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the greatest asset - the people.

Nov 22, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your positive attitude!

2. "Great Engineering"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at BSA LifeStructures full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very friendly and knowledgeable engineering staff makes coordination easier.

Cons

As with most A/E firms, the hours around a deadline can be a bit long.

Nov 22, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for completing a review on BSA! And thank you for your committment to BSA.

3. "Great Career Opportunities & A Clear Investment in Employees"

I have been working at BSA LifeStructures full-time

Pros

I have worked with BSA for about 4 years. Over that time they have shown that they want me to progress individually by being supportive of continuing education and certification testing. I appreciate the flexibility that BSA provides to accomplish all your work and life goals.

Cons

The only con that has come up during my time at BSA is that there are certain disciplines that receive more focus in promoting and developing while others that serve a significant role are recognized a little less.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the employee! It really makes your daily work worthwhile. Promote leadership wherever it can be found, leadership/management can be found in all disciplines.

Nov 22, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. You are correct, leaders can be found in all areas of the firm and we want to invest in your continued career growth.

4. "Couldn't be happier"

I have been working at BSA LifeStructures full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the reasons I love working for BSA LifeStructures:

I get to do my job every day in an environment where people respect each other & their opinions. Collaboration is highly encouraged & micro-management is intentionally avoided.

A flexible, casual work environment where people get along & where it's a joy to spend time every day.

There is a continuous eye to the future, not just in design (with regard to changes in our market sectors) but there always seems to be an ongoing dialogue about how we can improve: how do we become better at what we do for our clients? How do we become better as a firm? etc. There are time limits set for our Executive Leaders to ensure the opportunity for new people to lead & new perspectives to be seen. Leadership, both company-wide & regionally, are accessible to all & genuinely care about the people they are leading.

I love that although we are 7 offices strong (for now) I've had many opportunities to connect with people in other locations which fosters a connection with peers. This has been accomplished both through in-person visits & digitally. Although the company is 40+ yrs old, we seem to have embraced the digital age & try to use it to our advantage.

I'm sure I could come up with more but these are some of the highlights.

Cons

There have been some hiccups with I.T. recently & the loss of network connection to offices. Since everything is routed through one location, this was an issue.
     However, there have been some recent technological modifications to help prevent this from happening in the future.

Also, my daily commute is unfortunate...but it's worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing to foster our growth for the future (even when it seems daunting.) But continue to remember that talk is meaningless if actions don't follow.

Oct 24, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We appreciate your insight.

5. "Planner"

I worked at BSA LifeStructures full-time

Pros

BSA has a fantastic culture that promotes flexibility, community and hard work. BSA has several office locations making it possible for an employee to find the professional growth opportunities they need with a range of exposure to projects and clients. The people at BSA are what makes the culture special. The people are eager to help, kind and passionate about their work. The regional and firm leadership is strong making an investment in its employees.

Cons

Some positions may require extensive travel. Depending on the position, there may be limited upwards mobility in terms of position or title. However, there are always more work opportunities for growth and professional development.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in employees as it is what makes the culture special. Offer perks to those who travel consistently for work. Also continue to promote the current exceptional culture of a warm and inviting place to work.

6. "Great Culture!"

I have been working at BSA LifeStructures full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They value their employees. Team members are respectful and helpful to one another. Emphasize good design. Celebrate individuals' strengths. Provide technology that allows for flexibility.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Oct 11, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your review!

7. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Architect in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Architect in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at BSA LifeStructures full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company Culture, Great Opportunities, Promotes Professional Growth, Community Involvement, Forward Thinking, Great work/life balance

Cons

None that I can think of.

Oct 11, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to review BSA LifeStructures! We appreciate it.

8. "Director"

I have been working at BSA LifeStructures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BSA LifeStructures believes in investing in their employees whether that be professional continuing education, personal health or financial well being. They are a firm of opportunity where employees are empowered to grow and excel.

Cons

BSA LifeStructures has grown quickly over the past five year and in so doing is learning best practices for unifying seven separate offices.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on. We have established health goals as a firm and continue to make great strides toward their achievement.

Oct 9, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We will keep on keeping on!

9. "They invest in their employees"

Former Employee - Facilities Planner in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Facilities Planner in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at BSA LifeStructures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work and life balance was good. They allowed you to flex time as need to manage your family activities as long as the work was completed on time.
    They celebrated many interesting and unique "days" though out the year to bring the office together.
    They have expertise in their many offices that we could draw from to strengthen all project not just those in close geographical areas.
    Leadership is accessible; they are trying to move design forward using best practice and research.

Cons

Growth and work load does impact how well management keeps a pulse on their employees. Once identified though this weakness became a strength.

Advice to Management

With growth and multiple office locations, keeping silos to the minim will be key.

10. "Review after first 6 months"

Current Employee - Designer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Designer in Austin, TX

I have been working at BSA LifeStructures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a design firm with great opportunities for design with purpose. The people here really value intentional design work for healing, learning and discovery spaces. Being at one office but a part of a larger firm is also nice - there are opportunities to work on projects with other offices or help as needed. This also means there are a lot of large firm resources available to a small office, which has been a big positive for me.

Cons

The typical design firm downsides are pertinent here, especially in the Austin market. Most work is needed as quickly as possible, resulting in a pretty robust design timeline.

Advice to Management

I joined the BSA LifeStructures office in Austin after they acquired a fully-functioning existing design firm, so being a part of that transition during training has been challenging. This is something I communicated to management and was very well received.