Belly Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2021

3.4
Belly CEO Dan Gloede (no image)
Dan Gloede
Pros
  • "Great companies were built on great people(in 6 reviews)

• "You can meet some cool people, everyone is pretty young at the office(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "If you are looking for an average 9-5 job, this is not the place(in 4 reviews)

• "Non evolving product with no real value for the merchants(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Fantastic shop to work for

Apr 13, 2021 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, great staff, and relaxed atmosphere

Cons

The hours could be better, but for a little hole in the wall its a great place to work

2. 2.0
      Former Employee

Startup

Nov 5, 2020 - Sales Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Young atmosphere, times of exciting growth

Cons

New structure in sales department every few months, unrealistic quotas, problems getting paid out correctly on commission

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Building the next big thing in Chicago

Oct 30, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great culture - Huge opportunity - Trying to solve big problems for our merchants - Great people and talent - Mission and Values driven - No politics - If you are capable, you will be given more. - Collaboration and teamwork Belly is not just a digital loyalty company. That is what is looks like on the surface to most users. The bigger mission is to help small businesses acquire and retain their customers by cultivating a real and personal relationship. This is the part that most people don't see when looking at Belly from the outside. So, the challenges in Product and Engineering, along with other ares of the business, are huge. That's what makes it awesome. How do you help that person who has put their life savings into opening their dream coffee shop? Belly can be a friend and partner by proving great product and tech to this person.

Cons

- Has the standard 4-year-old startup challenges - How do you scale rapidly without compromising culture and values? - Resource constraints. Can always use more talent, always have more funding for marketing, etc. - May lack focus at times

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

A Sinking Ship

Feb 16, 2014 -  in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of hardworking young people on track for long and successful professional careers Pretty good benefits Good short term opportunity, more mature tech and marketing companies love to recruit Belly employees.

Cons

The product peaked, it was the next big thing for a while in the SMB space and now it's losing its appeal because it doesn't offer any true value to its merchants and business owners are growing wise to it. It's heading in the direction of a lot of its earlier competitors Upper management doesn't have a clue of what they are doing, no longterm vision or direction whatsoever, just cockiness and rah rah rah. The turnover is really high, like over 50% in less than a year. Just look at the Team Page, the faces change every week. Really poor commission plan, and the sales execs always finding clever ways to pay employees less. Basically, the company is divided between the Chicago inner circle and unhappy outside reps. People in Chicago love it, people outside don't. They don't give customer emails to the business owners because they say they want to make sure that customers don't get spammed, then they spam the customers every day with pointless emails. So basically they make both parties angry. Totally backwards.

8 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Culture, Family, Hard work, Growth. Belly is a game changer.

May 8, 2014 - Territory Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Belly is a Newer company to hit the Market. However the company is just that, full of rewards. 1. Management will always offer a Helping hand. They will guide you and direct you so that you learn. 2.Training, Belly believes in their people. They offer you training when you start as well as ongoing training. 3. Great companies were built on great people. Belly is full them. You get to work with and for some of the most talented and passionate team. Nobody said it was going to be easy, but if you work hard and you will you will see all the benefits. 4. Best part is the CEO is out there with you grinding. There is nothing that he will ask you to do that he has not done already on his own. 6. If you one of the lucky ones that gets hired you will never look back, working here is a game changer. 5.The Harder I work The luckier I am...Thomas Jefferson

Cons

Like every company they always have a few things to work out.

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good, not great, product that you're expected to sell door-to-door without necessary tools to succeed.

Oct 20, 2014 - Territory Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Belly seem like a fun place to work if you worked at corporate in Chicago. From the weekly video meetings I've seen, they have a very start-up style with a lot of energy.

Cons

Unfortunately the outside sales team does not work at the corporate office, instead, they are based all over the country and work remotely. Sounds great until you have to sell something that has no brand awareness in a lot of the cities they sell in. Forget about getting involved in community events or getting money to do your own marketing (like normal outside sales jobs). Belly management expects a lot of their outside sales team and pays pretty poorly for the work you have to put in. There is not a great feeling of job security within the company due to recent mass layoffs and write-ups/termination for not hitting weekly unrealistic goals.

9 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Don't challenge the status quo, try to innovate, or ask too many questions: change and ideas are not welcome.

Jun 25, 2015 - Engineer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

CEO HR/People Team Product/CEO's Vision Mostly friendly colleagues, definitely some bad apples A cool concept that has potential if substantial changes are made to how things are done

Cons

Development and Product Management Director of Product False advertising/job description Below average pay No growth opportunities Consistent lay offs/changes in team Lack of organization Failure to innovate Old industry standards/no plans on changing No recognition Expectation of working more hours for less money (60+ expected) Two-faced management, stereotyping, and bias Inexperienced leadership/lack of execution Zero work/life balance Fake "culture" Developers, look elsewhere. If you want a good look into the "technology" you'll be working with, visit the site and open your developer console. That should be a good indication of your day to day, and expect 30% less than what the industry standard is.

14 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Seriously not a better company to work for.

May 7, 2014 - Territory Manager in Akron, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Honestly I've never had a better job. The co workers are extremely helpful in every area. Everyone is willing to help. Not many companies and co workers are like this. They actually have a "smile factor". I have never worked with an organization that cares about your happiness. From the CEO all the way down. The bonuses and pay is amazing. I would highly recommend this job to my family.

Cons

None. Seriously there is nothing that I can think of that is bad about this job. Maybe the fact that is hard to stay self motivated and work from home while you can do whatever you want and make your own hours. I guess that's a con.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Hands on experience & great culture

Jul 15, 2014 - Analyst in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Tremendous opportunities to grow and create your own projects and be proactive. Management is very open to new ideas and appreciate forward thinking - Excellent mentors to learn from. Each executive is very intelligent and has something different to bring to the table. - Awesome work culture & environment. The office is full of very young, talented, & friendly people. I have met some of my best friends through Belly - Since it is still a startup, you are able to make a big impact here and have a lot of responsibility. Everyone here is accountable for their actions. - The company has an innovative mindset. New ideas are always welcome and encouraged, which makes it a very creative and positive environment.

Cons

Not much to say here. I've really enjoyed my time at Belly and hope to be here for a very long time. I'm excited to see the company grow!

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great company with excellent growth opportunity

Dec 9, 2014 - Management in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Overall I am extremely satisfied with my decision to come to Belly and the experience I have had with the company. I've had the opportunity to work with a great group of talented people whom I've learned a great deal from. Beyond that, I was given a chance to advance my career in an environment that was constantly faced with challenges - making me a better professional and helping my career in the short and long term.

Cons

Direction of company should continue to be based on input from senior management and frontline staff.

11 people found this review helpful