Best Practices Reviews | Glassdoor

Chris Bogan

"A Great Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Sales in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Sales in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Best Practices (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a number of pro's to working at Best Practices. The work we do here changes patients lives. It changes the way pharmaceutical, medical device, and other companies shape their processes through the process of benchmarking others. The work is compelling and it is nice to know that we have the opportunity to make a difference. This is a small company and in many ways our models are built in that way. Working here will teach you a lot about these industries and if you study you can be successful. 38,000 + benchmarks is a lot to learn but like anything the learning the products is the key toward success.

Cons

I don't think of cons necessarily. I think there are potential for area's that we could get more efficient or perhaps even just use new and innovative approaches. The information is difficult to learn but you need to know it before you sell. This is really where most people struggle if they don't want to invest the time.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, start new initiatives to change with the times. This is already happening, I have to fill in this block.

Feb 7, 2017 – CEO/Founder

Thanks for your thoughtful and upbeat feedback. I'm happy that you've recognized how important is the work we do for clients. I join you in recognizing there are still so many places we aspire and ... More

"Research"

Current Employee - Business Operations Research Analyst in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Business Operations Research Analyst in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Best Practices full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is a small specialist boutique well known in its niche in healthcare. Employees get to work on projects of all types, interact with high-level client executives, engage in deep analysis, and see projects from start to finish. The company seeks to be "performance oriented." If you have ideas, you can pitch them and they will definitely be considered. I have worked on many issues inside and outside my exact job description. I have visited customer sites and attended high level executive meetings,which was pretty cool. The company values "being proactive." If you press forward with an idea or solution, you'll get to work on it and you'll advance in the company. If you require a lot of structure and direction, you may flounder.

Cons

The company seeks to be performance-oriented -- but it doesn't get rid of lower performing people as quickly as some would like to see. "Fairness" is a big theme in the company. But that has allowed some negative and low performing people to hide or hang around way too long. Also, the level of useful supervision is lite. You have to seek out guidance at times. You can't depend on daily or weekly meetings with your managers to provide that kind of guidance. The place is small and family-oriented, so you can get that type of job and career guidance pretty easily. But you have to seek it out. You also work on many different kinds of projects and activities. For people who are super structured and like to go deep on one thing, you'll be frustrated because you have to juggle multiple balls.

Advice to Management

You can be "fair" but still take action on non-performers and people who are "haters" much faster. Improve the performance review process.

Feb 7, 2017 – CEO/Founder

Thank you for your thoughtful reflections on your work experience and our company. We'll continue to work hard on cultivating a performance-culture, where people's talents can shine, while we also ... More

"DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND RUN THE OTHER WAY - STAY WHERE YOU ARE."

Former Employee - Researcher in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Researcher in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Best Practices full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What can I say good about Best Practices, LLC? Nothing. The CEO is probably one of the nicest people you will ever meet but “idea” guys don’t make good business managers. But, he is a nice gentleman.

Cons

There are really only two kinds of people at BPLLC. Those that are going to screw you and those that already have. The company employs an “everyone sells” mentality which causes lies and deceit. Incoming leads are constantly being stolen; the executives constantly steal money when you do sell something rather than just being good leaders. Coaching is impossible to gain because although you prospect, make contacts, do the work, and then foolishly you ask for help from a tenured manager and you lose your commission for their advice. So you actually will end up paying for asking for help. When you make factual attempts to raise your hand against the lack of “BEST PRACTICES” it gets you nowhere because you have no voice because all of your sales were stolen by a high salaried “leader” it’s really a splendid feeling to get ripped off. The culture is simply so poor and morale is lower than any place I have seen. The core values appear to lack any form of leadership but you will have to choose to lie, cheat, and steal to get ahead and hey then go buy yourself something nice. It will ease the pain of the forfeiture of your morals and values. The only way they can dig themselves out of a financial rut is to allow real leaders to take over the entire business. The product is ok. It is a lot of smoke and mirrors and let’s face it “Benchmarks” are really nothing but a bunch of made up mumbo-jumbo anyway. When you have survey sizes of like nine people how can you monetize that? Good thing a new sucker is born every day.

Advice to Management

Get all your managers together and fire them. Start fresh with a tenured group of people that lead – not steal or cheat. Find ethical people, throw away all of your non-sense and just start over with honest people that want to build a business. Use salespeople to sell and if the current executives want to keep selfishly looking out for themselves and selling let them do it as salespeople instead of trying to be a leader who charges for their time. Why pay them as executives if they steal leads, take calls, and make up lies about sales? Do yourself a favor and get rid of them before your doors close.

Feb 7, 2017 – CEO/Founder

Thanks for taking time to share your feedback. I'm sad to learn that your experience at our firm was not positive across the board. It sounds as if you had a difficult relationship with your ... More

"Excellent Career Development Opportunity at an Established Local Company with Global Reach"

Current Employee - Research Team Member in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Research Team Member in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at Best Practices full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Direct interaction with senior level clients at a variety of organizations. You would never have this type of access in a larger company.
    2) Frequent coaching and mentoring from a seasoned executive team
    3) Chances to fine tune your professional skills in a variety of areas in the business- research, business development, marketing
    4) Monthly internal lunch and learns to provide continuing education to all employees
    5) You see the impact of your work from start to finish- and the direct impact it had with your clients
    6) Excellent work to home life balance

Cons

Best Practices is a small company, and employees are treated like family members- which is excellent when it comes to comfort on the job, but ocassionally allows some people that aren't fits to stay longer than they normally should.

Advice to Management

1) Continue to upgrade internal technology- critical to staying ahead in our business
    2) Actively recruit more talent
    3) Work to increase accountability

Feb 7, 2017 – Vice President of Sales

Thank you for your honest and candid feedback. Good luck in your future endeavors!

"Potential Turned to Frustration"

Former Employee - Associate in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

I was excited to start at BPLLC and the training seemed to show a lot of potential for learning and advancement. My first few projects were interesting, if a little repetitive.

Cons

The limitations of the organization became obvious pretty quickly - too much templated work and not enough opportunity for individuals to contribute anything new.

Advice to Management

Stop pigeonholing every employee - people can grow into new roles and almost everyone at Best Practices could be doing more than they are and would be happy to contribute in ways they aren't allowed to currently.

Apr 17, 2017 – CEO/Founder

Thanks for sharing your honest feedback. I wish we could have found the right role or niche for you to continue growing and to hold that feeling of excitement that you shared you had upon joining the ... More

"Great place to learn quickly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

I loved my interactions with customers. You had the opportunity to have high-level substantive interactions with Director to SVP-level clients at quarterly benchmarking conferences, during research projects, as well as in sales and service interactions. You are constantly learning, especially about the best practices of F500 companies, so you gain a lot of valuable experience to put on your resume. You have the opportunity to build lasting relationships with clients, which was very rewarding. Everyone has to sell, market and/or do research so there's a lot of cross-functional teams. People often support more than one product/service. They use great templates and models with standardized processes so the formula for success is relatively easy to follow. If you want custom benchmarking, especially in the area of pharmaceutical sales, they are very good. Communication about company performance through quarterly hands on meetings is good. They also allow a great deal flexibility re: where and when to do your job. The culture is very performance based. Everyone has targets and timelines for deliverables.

Cons

Benchmarking has become a commodity. Every professional association is doing it now, and there are providers like APQC, that offers free benchmarking opportunities with services like their Open Standards Benchmarking Collaborative. BPLLC's business model is easy to replicate, and has already been replicated successfully by other entities, including some former employees creating competing organizations, e.g., CuttingEdge Info and ThoughtLeader Select.

Advice to Management

Listen more to employees about trends in the market and potential new product innovations/improvements (even if they may cannibalize existing offerings). If BPLLC doesn't create them, a competitor will. Try harder to truly engage employees and understand their concerns and issues, seek harder to build a culture of mutual trust. Maybe former employees wouldn't have left to create competing organization if they would have felt understood and empowered to innovate internally.

Apr 17, 2017 – CEO/Founder

Thanks for sharing these thoughtful observations. I am glad you valued and benefited from many of our company's systems, tools, processes and supports that you described as "Pros." We've worked hard ... More

8. "Opportunities for Career Growth"

I have been working at Best Practices full-time

Pros

Working at Best Practices for a number of years has allowed me to grow and develop a strong career path. The company recognizes talent and hard work and rewards accordingly. I enjoy having the freedom of interacting with clients on the phone and face to face. The management team is very supportive, and has an open door policy which allows communication between them and the staff.

Cons

Perhaps more time spent on training for new employees will help ensure their success. Also, there's no accountability with job performance, on all levels.

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication open with all employees as to not create the environment of favoritism.

9. "Great place to learn and grow in the healthcare industry"

I have been working at Best Practices full-time

Pros

People are given the chance to tackle many different roles and explore what makes the pharma industry tick. Access to work with executives at a variety of companies and to see firsthand the issues that affect their work. Open family-first culture.

Cons

Self-starters and people that are willing to do more than one job will do best here.
    Does have a flat structure that limits chances for promotion which can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Set goals for teams and people and hold them accountable. Listen to staff when concerns are raised. Encourage people to try new things.

Apr 28, 2017 – CEO/Founder

Thanks for taking time to share your experience and perspectives. Your observations seem very thoughtful both about our strengths and weaknesses. As head of the company, I am always interested in ... More

10. "Good company and nice people"

I have been working at Best Practices part-time

Pros

Very supportive for what you want to do

Cons

Could be more professional on the research

Feb 7, 2017 – CEO/Founder

Thanks for taking time to share your experience. I'm glad that you have felt supported and valued during your part-time work experience through our internship program! That is rewarding to hear ... More

11. "Yikes"

Pros

Be aware- These positive reviews had to be written by the owner of this company or one of his cronies.

Cons

Do not do it. Work life balance is non existent, you can grow if you're willing to lie and cheat your way to the top. As long as you can pull the wool over the eyes of upper management you'll be fine. If you like working in a micromanaged environment and enjoy that gut wrenching feeling of dread before walking into a building, Best Practices is the place for you.

Advice to Management

The CEO is a bright guy, the execution of the company is entirely half baked. Sell the company and reorg.

Feb 7, 2017 – CEO/Founder

Thanks for speaking up -- even though it appears you didn't have a great experience at Best Practices. That saddens me. I sincerely want every employee here to feel that she or he is doing purposeful ... More