Bitcasa Reviews | Glassdoor

Brian Taptitch

1. "Damn Good"

Former Employee - Product Management in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Product Management in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Bitcasa (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Amazing team
    - Engaged management
    - Employees are highly valued
    - Promotes from within
    - Encourages growth

Overall I can't say enough good stuff about my experience with the team. Every day was equal parts challenging and fun. There were some tough patches at times but the company did will with pivots and there was a ton of potential

Cons

Cloud storage is a crowded space with little room for competition outside of Amazon, Google, and Microsoft

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the talent

2. "Frat house with growing pains and quality gaps."

Pros

Free lunch, paid healthcare. Unlimited vacations. Honest CEO who knows you by name. Decent tech line management leadership. Crunch gym paid for. Run like a big company.

Cons

Frat house... Home if you are in crowd. Code review lack luster with many key components not addressed. Quality needs to be job 1. Need to install can do caring attitude that involved collaboration vs I tell you do it my way. Lots of strong egos without thinking problem through or valuing differences. Too much tell and not enough listening. Dead weight who people talk about. Run like a big company without decent check and balance. Unlimited vacations unbalanced and abused. Lots of key management turn over including several VP and engineer.

Advice to Management

Find those who care passionately, understand their motivation and frustration. We all pull as a team to win. Or loose as a team. Once people feel appreciated and valued they will pull harder to win.

3. "Great place to work. Challenging problems. Nicest group of people."

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

Lots of challenging stuff to work on (mobile, desktop apps, backend infrastructure, web frontend, analytics...).
    Given the small size of the company, employees can make a large impact really quick.
    Really nice and smart people to work with.
    Nice benefits package and perks.
    Fun causal social activities: coffee walks, running team, ping pong, Friday breakfast cooking...

Cons

My commute was bad, but that is relative to where you live.
    It would be good to have 1:1's with managers from time to time.

Advice to Management

The company seems to be going in the right direction and it is defining its position in the cloud space.

5. "A great place to learn and grow"

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Bitcasa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

An excellent company with hardworking, passionate people. I learned and grew so much at this company while being part of a team that I was proud to contribute to.

Cons

See "advice to management" - make sure everyone who is part of the team feels that they are contributing in a meaningful way that helps both the company and the individuals grow.

Advice to Management

This company is full of smart people who love to be part of the Bitcasa family. Keep them by finding ways for them to learn and contribute as the company grows and succeeds.

"Finally found my home"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

I love the people I work with here, truly. I have worked for a really good company in the past but in the past few decisions that I made I could not run fast enough away from them. Now that I am at Bitcasa, I feel like I finally found my home.
    -people are always collaborating
    -people enjoy catching up about their weekend activities
    -people enjoy spending non-working hours with each other
    -people are super smart
    -people are excited about the product we are working on
    -people WANT to help each other

Oh, and the perks are not too bad either. Gym membership, vacation, lunches, beer fridays, and much more.

Cons

We at times run out of conference rooms. Sometimes when I am trying to concentrate, because we do not have private offices, nearby conversations can be a bit distracting.

"Hard work with smart, fun people"

I have been working at Bitcasa full-time

Pros

Solving hard problems with people who are smart, driven and a lot of fun to work with. Great amenities around the office and perks (lunches, drinks, snacks, gym membership, caltrain, etc)

Cons

Still one or two holdovers from previous regime who have negative attitudes and are a bummer.

Advice to Management

stay the course!

"Getting there"

I have been working at Bitcasa full-time

Pros

The company faces interesting and exciting technical and business challenges that anyone can readily impact. The workday is never boring! The company employs many sharp, motivated, and genuinely good human beings. The company has a chance to enjoy an exit north of $100M. Salary is good. Great perks.

Cons

Bitcasa is competing in a big, but very competitive space. Lacks strong technical leadership that makes the prospect for long term success difficult and the day-to-day frustrating, at times.

Advice to Management

Provide better technical leadership. Make better, strategic, long term decisions. Continue to turn the corner. Promote those that deserve it and get rid of those that need to go.

"My Worst Nightmare Job"

Current Employee - Software Engineering in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Bitcasa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm happy to say that I have intelligent, friendly colleagues who I'm proud to call my friends. Somehow, this company has attracted a number of good apples.

Cons

Dishonest, unethical, incompetent and vengeful executive team. I've never worked anywhere else where I felt that as soon as I left the company, that those at the highest levels would make sure to try and put roadblocks in front of my career trajectory.

Advice to Management

Stop with your threatening, bullying, aggressive behavior. Treat your employees and customers with some respect. Reorganize the QA team, starting at the very top.

"Fun startup, cool tech, solving a big problem"

Current Employee - Product Management in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Product Management in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Bitcasa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people and vibe. Smart, talented engineers. Real, hard, technology challenges. Perks are amazing. Tide is really turning around, lots of potential and positive momentum both internally and externally. We're through the hard part, have runway to really get to the next level and can see it on the horizon.

Cons

Young management team. Startup risks still apply: ups and downs. Company culture had degraded a bit in 2014 (though on a very positive trend in 2015).

Advice to Management

Need to invest in training your young management team as we grow from a start-up to a real company. Continue the great progress in regards to transparency with the company and including more people in management-level decisions. This trend has been very positive. Stay focused and keep delivering wins. The tech and value prop is good enough to make this a billion dollar company -- as long as the right people are in place at key positions to drive that growth.

"Totally worth it!"

I have been working at Bitcasa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In less than a year and a half at Bitcasa I've had the opportunity to have a very dynamic role working with and across multiple departments. From technical support, community management, social media, marketing, developer relations, front-end web development, and everything in between, I can honestly say I've done it all. I've learned so many new skill sets that I would have never learned in a corporate environment. The benefits and PTO are great and competitive to most startups in the Bay Area. The team is incredibly passionate, harding working, supportive and fun. Leadership and mentor-ship - of the entire company, not including the CEO, my boss is one of the hardest working people on our team and Exec staff. The definition of a leader and mentor were redefined when he joined the team, and we're better for it. I'm very fortunate to work for someone I can look up to and rely on. Despite how busy he is, he always makes time to listen to my concerns, teach me new things, and advocate on my behalf. Startups are a grind and the challenges don't let up. If you have the drive to succeed and willingness to standout amongst the crowd, there are a ton of opportunities here at Bitcasa. For me, the Bitcasa team and my boss are what make this startup grind totally worth it.

Cons

Not enough recognition for hard work and dedication. Some in management positions are too gossipy, lack maturity, professionalism, and overall leadership. Promotions and bonuses are inconsistent. Culture and company communication dominated by corporate policies.

Advice to Management

Change is good. Don't be afraid to make tough decisions and let go of those that don't believe or are too loose with confidential information. Pay attention to those who are advocating for change and leadership. They are the ones that work incredibly hard and make this company great. Have more fun and celebrate in all accomplishments, big or small. Life's too short, stop all the drama or do a better job of keeping it isolated from the rest of the company.