BlackLine Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Therese Tucker

Pros
  • The work life balance is perfect and the schedule is extremely flexible (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits, company culture, free food, collaborative environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • typical growing pains of a rapidly expanding company (in 7 reviews)

• Not for someone who doesn't like the challenges associated with fast-paced growth (in 4 reviews)

"Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint John, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint John, IN

I worked at BlackLine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with great software

Cons

Expect results immediately and they do not respect the time it takes to get opportunities through the sales cycle. Want results ASAP or your gone.

Advice to Management

Respect the sales cycle and the time it takes to get a deal closed.

2. "Politics and micro management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at BlackLine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is generally good
    Unlimited PTO

Cons

The software itself is a mess and the engineering teams are not allowed to create or improve.
    Surrounded by lots of unused tech talent that could do so much, yet a few empowered egos feel the need to oversee everything to a painstakingly detailed level.
    Massive code debt and technical teams are heavily micro-managed by architecture teams.
    Massive politics and strong ethnocentric cliques (it apparently helps if you speak Russian or are related to the right people).
    Inability to speak to any of this as management has become a PC police.

Advice to Management

Empower tech teams to fix the problems in the software.
    Kick the old and ignorant men on the architecture teams to the curb as they are keeping all of us down.
    Curb the nepotism
    Adopt best practices, use best of breed tools (instead of always reinventing the wheel), and make it a place where tech talent grows rather than the skills graveyard that it is today.
    Make it safe for people to keep it real by having management become better conduits when receiving critique of a work situation. The poisonous politics have to go if you ever want to succeed at scale.

"unrealistic expectations for new hires"

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BlackLine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great reputation by Gartner

Cons

The Company has changed dramatically since going public. They expect new hires to produce immediate results. Senior management says it takes at least six months to find opportunities and another six months to close deals. After three months pressure is put on you to close business. Senior leaders will try to intimidate clients on renewals. I have seen them lie to clients. You may be asked to do things that are against your moral values. If you can live with that then it may be the place to work

Advice to Management

When management changes it should help change the culture

"Mixed bag...go in with eyes open"

Current Employee - Account Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Management in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at BlackLine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is real business value in BL service offerings.
    Can perform work with reasonable level of autonomy
    Generally nice, capable people.

Cons

Questionable personnel at senior sales levels.
    Unrealistic sales goals translate to disappointment for all
    Rule by fear.
    OTE numbers for Sales/Account Managers are far from realistic.

Advice to Management

I was shocked at what I saw last year in the form of some of the management practices. Suffice it to say that the expected sales numbers were not being reached and this caused some upset by the very same people who approved where quotas were to be set for the year. This made for increasing stress as the year wore on. Hopefully, more reasonable comp plans and quotas will be laid out for 2017 or BL may face an exodus.

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at BlackLine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am surrounded by talented and hardworking people. That's very important to me. I love the team I'm on and I know we are doing a lot more together than we could ever do individually. I am happy that there are great expectations placed on us by the company, it makes me perform better. I am even happier that we are rewarded with the ability to play hard in addition to working hard. If you are a driven individual who is a team player, this is the place for you.

Cons

There are plenty of growth pains as the company keeps adding positions. The biggest one being communication across the company. We just went public, so the "startup" vibe will most likely continue to die. The parking spots are super small, so make sure you are ok with your car doors getting dinged. There's nowhere to park an electric car and charge it.

"Best company to work for"

I have been working at BlackLine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, great compensations and benefits, very innovative product and smart people, very collaborative environment. Lots of food. Unlimited PTO. World from home options.

Cons

No cons, best company to work for in the Los Angeles area. You can't go wrong with this company. Highly recommended.

"Innovate and Engaging Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at BlackLine full-time

Pros

BlackLine has a very special culture. We have a lot of smart and diligent people here who are passionate about what we do and the incredible impact we have on our client's lives.

The main reason I work and stay here is because of this culture and the team spirit. Some of the nicest and smartest people I have ever worked with. We have a culture that is collaborative, innovative, fun, and overall has a good work-life balance. Of course, it helps that BlackLine is also a high-growth company with the respects both its employees and clients equally. We truly believe in the service profit chain: internal satisfaction leads to external satisfaction which leads to high profits... with the focus starting with the employees.

Plus it helps to have a game room, music room xBox, snacks and food available, one of those fancy soda machines, and cappuccino maker! :-)

Cons

Not so much a con but just something to consider. We are a fast-paced, rapidly growing company and sometimes the communication mechanisms break down. It's so important to make sure everyone is effective kept in the loop to ensure our continued success.

Advice to Management

As we grow it's hard to maintain the original feel of the company and to ensure everyone is consistently communicated to about where the company is going. Please keep this in mind.

"Best Place to Work Hands Down"

I have been working at BlackLine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the best company I've worked for in 13 years. The work life balance is perfect and the schedule is extremely flexible. Everyone here is so nice and welcoming. If you have the chance to get a position here you should take it. The company is growing so quickly that positions are always opening up and they support you in whatever career path you want to take. This is the first company I've worked for that values its employee's opinions and listens to all ideas on how the business could be improved. There's kitchens on every floor PACKED with food, fountain soda machines, coffee / espresso makers, a golf simulator, and free breakfast weekly and lunches! The whole office is open concept and beautiful, definitely a sight to see. The pay is amazing and all benefits are paid for. All around awesome!

Cons

There are no cons to being here, I love it. I love coming to work. They take care of their people.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and don't lose this amazing culture. What your doing is right, you treat everyone with respect and listen to them and that'd why you get the best from them.

"Great team environment, and positive workplace"

Current Employee - Business Development in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at BlackLine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- BlackLine has a great on-boarding process. They do a great job providing training and development that helps employees feel successful within a month of their start date, as well as an integral part of the great community.
    -However, development doesn't stop with on-boarding. BlackLine encourages its employees to continue to improve their skills not only for their current jobs, but futures positions they wish to aspire to. There are a multitude of online and in-person training classes available every quarter on a variety of topics.
    -There is lots of room to grow. BlackLine has grown tremendously over the last couple of years, and continues on that growth track. Employees are encouraged to look beyond their current role to where they see themselves in the future at BlackLine.
    -BlackLine has a great team environment and is extremely collaborative, encouraging the sharing of ideas.

Cons

BlackLine is still a fairly young company that has experienced high growth in a short period of time, so with this comes the typical growing pains of a fast growing company. However, I believe management is aware of the places where improvement is needed and is working to develop these areas to match the growth of the rest of the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees. There are so many BlackLiners that want to contribute and continue to add to the great culture already in place. Keep encouraging that!

"Full Time Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at BlackLine (More than a year)

Pros

There are some great people working there and the location is convenient.

Cons

CEO is a micro-managing maniac. She should stay out of the way.

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO and make it a Very successful company!