BlackLine Reviews

Updated May 11, 2021

4.2
BlackLine CEO Marc Huffman (no image)
Marc Huffman
0 Rating
Pros
  • "Free food all the time as well as a ping pong table and pool table(in 18 reviews)

• "Providing a true work life balance and opportunity for career growth(in 17 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Some growing pains, but that is to be expected with the rate of growth(in 16 reviews)

• "Although change is a must to continually improve and adapt to a fast paced market(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

Company that cares for their Employees

Nov 5, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and compensation package. Fast growing company with tons of opportunities to grow since they promote within.

Cons

Nothing significant to report as such.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee

BlackLine

Apr 16, 2021 - Tech Lead
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fast paced environment, lots of challenging work

Cons

The company is experiencing growing pains of rapid expansion.

3 people found this review helpful
    3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Diversity of thought is NOT encouraged.

Mar 12, 2021 - Enterprise Business Development Representative in Woodland Hills, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoyed my time at BlackLine for the most part. In the business development position you can expect to become more confident in your abilities, an increase in drive for success and to be compensated appropriately. I was able to progress rather quickly from Inbound to Enterprise and then Team Lead of Enterprise, which was the most rewarding position I held. I loved seeing my team succeed and working together to think creatively to navigate hitting quota during the global lockdowns.

Cons

Although they preach diversity at BlackLine, diversity of thought is NOT encouraged. It was unfortunate to leave BlackLine with a bad taste in my mouth having been discriminated against by employees and management. Especially after the hard work and energy I put in to help the team succeed. Promotions are fueled by favoritism. While at BlackLine multiple times people who didn't have experience working the Enterprise market, got promoted to then manage the team of individuals who have worked that market for two plus years. This imbalance created unnecessary animosity among the team. Others may be able to overlook, but for me personally, these things added up and I could no longer give my all to an organization who clearly looks at you as a number. On top of that, to protect their image, they made it look like I got fired, not letting me say goodbye to my teams even though I had only positive words of encouragement. The blatant disrespect was very disheartening and made BlackLines motives abundantly clear. Other departments may be better, but this seemed to be a reoccurring theme in the Business Development department.

5 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Don't be fooled

May 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home currently. Some people are extremely nice.

Cons

Abusive work environment at times. No work life balance what so ever. I have never been able to take a vacation and not work. The expectation is that you will work while on vacation.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company

May 11, 2021 - Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and a lot of opportunities for training and development. Work with some very smart people. Amazing diversity.

Cons

It's who you know. Not all departments have upward mobility, promotions, or raises. Having an accounting background is almost a necessity.

6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Fake Reviews to boost bad culture

Apr 21, 2021 - Sales in Woodland Hills, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

They try and focus on supporting sales Trying hard to get the organization sales focused and customer supported. They use to have a true care pressure you - you use to have a life outside of work but now they cross all sorts of boundaries and expect you t be available 24/7. Employees are seen as a number vs a person now. Product development is good. Salary use to be competitive but now it’s below average, once Covid passes, I suspect they will have an exodus. Which leads me to it being good for inexperienced folks to move up as they think everyone is replaceable - management likes to talk a lot about themselves even if it’s based off of fiction vs facts, and young inexperienced folks will listen and do there bidding.

Cons

They use to have a true care about there employees culture but when they CEO left and they hired a ton of ex NetSuite executives it became a boys club and the employees are seen as a number vs a person now. A lot of the management is stressed out and it shows in there health, all they do is push and pressure you. You use to have a life outside of work but now they cross all sorts of boundaries and expect you t be available 24/7. Money means more to them then anything else. You’re measured on everything, and that’s how you are viewed - it’s a what have yo using for me lately culture. You could hit 150% of quota 3 quarters in a row then get 50% and there all over you. I’m surprised they haven’t GPS’d us! If you ever looked at the ratings on here, BlackLine has hovered around 3-3.5 stars, suddenly were 4-4.5. Lookalike Ike HR has been puffing up the reviews

6 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great company with tons of potential

Apr 7, 2021 - Principal Implementation Consultant in Woodland Hills, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic product, great culture, great compensation, fiercely loyal customers

Cons

Departments can be a bit silo'd

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A Great Place to Work

Apr 27, 2021 - Senior Manager in Woodland Hills, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee Benefits, Leadership, Colleagues, Work/Life Balance

Cons

While it is getting MUCH better, there are still silos that exist but leadership is working through this.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Amazing Company

Mar 19, 2021 - BDR
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture at BlackLine is best in class. The team will support you to thrive and be successful.

Cons

None that can come to mind. Joining has been a great decision!

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great culture and perks

Mar 4, 2021 - Mid Market Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

People/Culture, Leadership, Benefits, Growth, Market Leader

Cons

Not a lot but now that we've grown to a decent size and public we've naturally and understandably lost some of that original 'startup' vibe.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 230 Reviews