BlackLine Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Therese Tucker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "She encourages work/life balance" (in 14 reviews)

• "Great looking Offices, Free Food, But" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some growing pains, but that is to be expected with the rate of growth" (in 16 reviews)

• "Fast growing company with many growing pains" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Business Development Representative"

I worked at BlackLine (More than 3 years)

Pros

- great culture and people
    - head of business development was a great boss and mentor
    - opportunity for career growth
    - best product in market

Cons

Nothing really negative to share. It was a great experience and I enjoyed it. I did see growing pains at times, but that wasn’t the worst problem to have :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in buiz dev!

2. "ok if you need a job i guess"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at BlackLine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good pay, flexible hours but you have to be there by the time set for the standup meeting for the team.

Cons

horrible management, favoritism, a cancerous case of nepotism.

Advice to Management

why say something to those with eyes and ears closed

"BDR Review II"

Current Employee - BDR (Bus Dev Representative )
    Current Employee - BDR (Bus Dev Representative )

I have been working at BlackLine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Don’t pay attention to the handful of bad BDR reviews on here. They are from the same complaining ‘bad apples’ in the BDR group (and we all know who you are). Your “complaints to HR” and lack of promotions should tell you that your whining is baseless and your lack of experience and/or general business acumen is exactly why you aren’t getting fast-tracked to the promotions you don’t deserve. Stop complaining about having to do work to earn your commissions and bonuses. You make the rest of us look bad. Just do your jobs or go look for something else if you hate it that much. When you act responsibly, demonstrate a solid work ethic, and aren’t trying to bad mouth management, then I think you’ll see the support you want and you'll earn the bonuses/commissions to get the promotions. Any other company would expect the same.

BlackLine has been growing rapidly and with any rocketing start-up environment, there are the typical growing pains. The Execs and Managers are all savvy to this and the problems get addressed right away and there are resources for us to do our jobs well. Also, as a growing environment there are opportunities to contribute by making recommendations on processes. There are also new career paths that are always opening.

Cons

Any company at the same point in the start up life cycle will have growing pains and constant changes, but how people handle them is what is important. If you want to punch in/out doing the same thing every day for the next 5 years or you can’t handle a fast-paced and evolving workplace, then this isn’t the company for you. If you are willing to take the initiative to be successful and want to be empowered, then you’ll fit right in!

Advice to Management

Weed out the complainers (and the whiny BDRs), outdated processes, and those who don’t get the big picture of where we are going. Cut out the cancers. You should spend the time, energy, and budget on what really counts- not just on the squeaky wheels. Some C-suite are a bit distant from the real day-to-day of the their teams.

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at BlackLine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is filled with people working towards a common goal. Everyone I've worked with is a hard worker and easy to get along with. The environment here is very positive. My favorite thing about this company is the willingness to learn and grow from everyone including top executives.

Cons

Some growing pains, but that is to be expected with the rate of growth.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to both your clients and your employees

"Great place to work & really impact how companies close their books"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at BlackLine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company genuinely cares about it's customers and employees. It values hard work, creative problem solving and honest communication. While the company is growing fast, this is a company where you can really make a difference.

Cons

Growth isn't easy and means that you have to be willing to adapt and change over time.

Advice to Management

Continue your focus on customer success, employee development and innovation.

"Great Work/Life Balance and a CEO Who Cares"

I have been working at BlackLine full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A culture of teamwork, caring, service and respect is instilled from the top at BlackLine. Therese (CEO and Founder) genuinely cares about the employees. She encourages work/life balance. I respect and enjoy working with those around me. Therese also puts forth a customer-first culture, with service as her mantra. She is truly passionate about improving the lives of accountants everywhere by helping them automate typically mundane, repetitive, rote processes and freeing them up for more strategic, value-adding and fulfilling activities. She cares deeply about her employees and customers.

Cons

As expected in any fast-growing company, we are experiencing some growing pains as we seek to streamline and improve our processes, procedures, etc. to maximize productivity going forward. Having said this, we should come out stronger and more effective in the end.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the customer and taking care of employees!

"Stay away- set up for failure"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Remote, OR

I worked at BlackLine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing- nothing at all- avoid this place.

Cons

Unattainable quota - less then 20% make quota. Constant re-org of territory-

Advice to Management

Clean house- sales organization is the most dysfunctional thing I have ever been part of- it is killing morale and several careers.

"BDR Review"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at BlackLine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company provides great benefits. 18 days of PTO, snacks throughout the office, good insurance, and free breakfast on Thursdays. If you keep your head down, thoughts and opinions to yourself, and obey management then you will have an easy time working as a business development representative here.

Cons

The quoted on-target earnings of approx $70K is achieved by less than 20% of the department. This is due to quotas that are not achievable given the territory distribution. This is a huge factor in whether or not to accept a job and I wish I had been told this beforehand. The real earnings is around $55-60K annually.

The business development department displays exceptionally poor management top-to-bottom. Management is very insecure and takes any feedback as an attack, with responses being highly reactionary and emotional. This may stem from inexperience, but nonetheless is highly limiting for current employees. There is a cloud of negative energy across the entire department with almost all BDRs unsatisfied with the workplace environment. As the company grows, administrative work has become more burdensome from an HR-perspective. Having worked at far bigger companies previously, the almost government-level control exercised over employees is limiting, unnecessary, and adds to the already existing animosity.

Advice to Management

This advice is specific to Biz Dev management. Find security in your decision making. Look at each communication to your subordinates as an opportunity to build a relationship focused around a "we are in this together" mentality rather than an "us vs. them" dynamic. You have hired a team that is 80% experience-hires; take their feedback as a learning opportunity instead of an affront. It's the only way to grow.

"BDR - All of it is true"

Former Employee - BDR
    Former Employee - BDR

I worked at BlackLine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity to advance if you manage to get yourself into one of the "cool kid" groups. Good company with a good product. Most prospects are excited as this is truly a solution to some of their most tedious work.

Cons

Felt like a frat house. A bunch of guys running around acting just like guys. There was clearly favored people and groups within teams. The rest might as well be invisible.

Management is promoted off of tenure - not talent.

Recruiting straight up lies about earnings potential. When MOST of the department isn't hitting goal it is clearly an issue with the metrics... not just the team. Some sales reps are cool... but most treat the BDR's like garbage... but because they are the sales guys they don't really get punished.

Blackline lets a majority of the company work from home every other Friday but not a small handful of employees. Don't give a super-majority of the company WFH time while leaving others sitting in a nearly empty office every other week being reminded that they are hourly and don't get anywhere near the same benefits as the salaried employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. Fix the stuff they complain about. If more people than not are complaining it is likely an issue that needs to be addressed. Hire good managers. Stop being like a frat house. Don't hire a bunch of recent college grads and then complain about their lack of work experience/candor.

The company asked it's employees to leave reviews... and you got what you asked for.... REAL REVIEWS. You guys CLEARLY still have the issue you did when I left... and are still doing nothing about it except blaming the victim.

"BDR Review"

Former Employee - Business Development in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at BlackLine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good product. Good benefits. Lots of free food and snacks in the office and free breakfasts and Thursdays.

Cons

Territory alignment is a huge problem throughout the entire sales department. Data integrity in SFDC is outdated, made-up and inaccurate, which not only creates a false sense of the amount of accounts you have in your patch, but also a tremendous amount of additional work.
    From the inset, leadership does not accurately represent the real OTE for this position. In my opinion, a lot of the team is disgruntled because they feel they were lied to about their true earning potential and therefore were unable to make a truly educated decision on whether or not to accept the position. It is people's livelihood, after all.
    There is a BDR sales enablement team, which in theory is great, because their role is help during your onboarding and ramp-up period. However, one of the managers is volatile, explosive and will lash out at employees. There have been multiple times where they have yelled at employees from across the room calling them names like "idiot" and in other instances used derogatory slurs. This behavior was ignored by the leadership team (probably because they also engage in this behavior) as well as HR.
    The overall treatment BDRs receive is unlike anything I've experienced and does not leave employees feeling valued. Employees are treated like children, micromanaged, reprimanded constantly (often publicly), which has created a terrible perception of our department throughout the entire organization and our leadership team is only reinforcing this view.

Advice to Management

This company could be a great place for young professionals to learn and grow their careers, but the constant churn will continue if you don't invest in their development, help set them up to grow within the organization or treat them with the same respect that management expects.