BlackLine Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Therese Tucker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "She encourages work/life balance" (in 14 reviews)

• "Great looking Offices, Free Food, But" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "I did see growing pains at times, but that wasn’t the worst problem to have :)" (in 16 reviews)

• "Fast-paced, rarely "time-off" because you don't want to be the person to drop the ball" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Business Development Representative"

I worked at BlackLine (More than 3 years)

Pros

- great culture and people
    - head of business development was a great boss and mentor
    - opportunity for career growth
    - best product in market

Cons

Nothing really negative to share. It was a great experience and I enjoyed it. I did see growing pains at times, but that wasn’t the worst problem to have :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in buiz dev!

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Remote, OR

I have been working at BlackLine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, support, training, product is the best in class

Cons

difficult market, more competition, can be difficult to pitch true value of product because it is very nuanced

3. "Engineer"

I have been working at BlackLine full-time

Pros

They feed you and it has the financial backing of a big company with a small company feel

Cons

Tons of favoritism and people that helped start blackline are now getting in the way

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BlackLine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good benefits package
    -Product has largest market share
    -Nice office
    -Friendly and accepting environment
    -Big budgets, still investing for growth
    -New leaders give reason for optimism

Cons

-Unrealistic sales goals, very rare to hear of someone hitting quota, and if they are it’s usually in part because of a remarkably large (and unusual) deal with a household name. Company over-expanded Sales team after IPO which is causing high turnover.
    -Inexperienced leadership in several areas, although that’s changing with the new CMO and COO who are promising.
    -Unfocused product development and head-scratching roll-out decisions
    -Nepotism
    -Companies view the product as an overhead commodity and sometimes don’t care if BlackLine is the best
    -Smaller Competitors are creeping up and undercutting BlackLine, and a few ERP vendors are developing lesser but cheaper built in functionality

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining talent and setting realistic goals to stem turnover and build a positive sales culture. Stability and enthusiasm will be more powerful in the end than setting people up to fail because of some model in a spreadsheet.

"Great Company"

I have been working at BlackLine full-time

Pros

Generous, good culture, philanthropic. Corporate headquarters is in a beautiful facility. Casual dress. Good location

Cons

Slow response time from management. Low cubicles make it difficult to concentrate. The positive culture is not consistent across all departments.

Advice to Management

Need to create more of an open-door policy with upper management.

"ok if you need a job i guess"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at BlackLine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good pay, flexible hours but you have to be there by the time set for the standup meeting for the team.

Cons

horrible management, favoritism, a cancerous case of nepotism.

Advice to Management

why say something to those with eyes and ears closed

"BDR Review II"

Current Employee - BDR (Bus Dev Representative )
    Current Employee - BDR (Bus Dev Representative )

I have been working at BlackLine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Don’t pay attention to the handful of bad BDR reviews on here. They are from the same complaining ‘bad apples’ in the BDR group (and we all know who you are). Your “complaints to HR” and lack of promotions should tell you that your whining is baseless and your lack of experience and/or general business acumen is exactly why you aren’t getting fast-tracked to the promotions you don’t deserve. Stop complaining about having to do work to earn your commissions and bonuses. You make the rest of us look bad. Just do your jobs or go look for something else if you hate it that much. When you act responsibly, demonstrate a solid work ethic, and aren’t trying to bad mouth management, then I think you’ll see the support you want and you'll earn the bonuses/commissions to get the promotions. Any other company would expect the same.

BlackLine has been growing rapidly and with any rocketing start-up environment, there are the typical growing pains. The Execs and Managers are all savvy to this and the problems get addressed right away and there are resources for us to do our jobs well. Also, as a growing environment there are opportunities to contribute by making recommendations on processes. There are also new career paths that are always opening.

Cons

Any company at the same point in the start up life cycle will have growing pains and constant changes, but how people handle them is what is important. If you want to punch in/out doing the same thing every day for the next 5 years or you can’t handle a fast-paced and evolving workplace, then this isn’t the company for you. If you are willing to take the initiative to be successful and want to be empowered, then you’ll fit right in!

Advice to Management

Weed out the complainers (and the whiny BDRs), outdated processes, and those who don’t get the big picture of where we are going. Cut out the cancers. You should spend the time, energy, and budget on what really counts- not just on the squeaky wheels. Some C-suite are a bit distant from the real day-to-day of the their teams.

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at BlackLine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is filled with people working towards a common goal. Everyone I've worked with is a hard worker and easy to get along with. The environment here is very positive. My favorite thing about this company is the willingness to learn and grow from everyone including top executives.

Cons

Some growing pains, but that is to be expected with the rate of growth.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to both your clients and your employees

"Great Work/Life Balance and a CEO Who Cares"

I have been working at BlackLine full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A culture of teamwork, caring, service and respect is instilled from the top at BlackLine. Therese (CEO and Founder) genuinely cares about the employees. She encourages work/life balance. I respect and enjoy working with those around me. Therese also puts forth a customer-first culture, with service as her mantra. She is truly passionate about improving the lives of accountants everywhere by helping them automate typically mundane, repetitive, rote processes and freeing them up for more strategic, value-adding and fulfilling activities. She cares deeply about her employees and customers.

Cons

As expected in any fast-growing company, we are experiencing some growing pains as we seek to streamline and improve our processes, procedures, etc. to maximize productivity going forward. Having said this, we should come out stronger and more effective in the end.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the customer and taking care of employees!

"Stay away- set up for failure"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Remote, OR

I worked at BlackLine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing- nothing at all- avoid this place.

Cons

Unattainable quota - less then 20% make quota. Constant re-org of territory-

Advice to Management

Clean house- sales organization is the most dysfunctional thing I have ever been part of- it is killing morale and several careers.